“Best place to stay in Detroit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center

Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Southgate
Angleton, Texas
“Best place to stay in Detroit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

This Holiday Inn is the best place to stay in Detroit. I stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate every time I come to Detroit. The Hotel is very clean, great food, and great service. Katie that works the front desk is very nice. Katie is professional and show EXCELLANT customer service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Thanks
Ben Brooks
Seal Tech Inc.
Program Manager

Room Tip: All the rooms are clean and beds are convertible, great customer service, bar and restaurant in hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dera Ben B,

Thank you for the great reviews on Katie. She definitely a asset to our company. Thank you also for your business. It is greatly appreicated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bad Axe, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Great customer service is always a priority. I travel to this area every month and have found Holiday Inn Southgate to be my best option. The rooms are always clean and the help is always courteous. Every month I stay there and really enjoy the bar, Club Charlie's, as entertainment for my employees. There is usually a live band, and usually pretty good, and the waitresses, namely Alex, are always great. They remember our names and normal drinks, as well as offering suggestions on new drinks to try. The girls at the front counter are always friendly, and are willing to share a genuine smile and laugh. Another added bonus is the exceptional breakfast buffet on the weekends. Overall, I really enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you so much for your return business. It great to hear the great service you continue to receive each time you stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate. We greatly appericate your business and your feedback.
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed here with my sister and niece for 2 nights while attending a funeral and the staff could not have been more helpful or nicer. The room was a very good room for this class of hotel/motel. We had a nice size fridge, microwave and coffeemaker in the room. They supplied us with some complimentary bottled water. I purchased the room as a name your own price on Priceline and had done it such that I was sure it would be between this and one other hotel I had checked reviews on. I am very glad I got this one. I called and found that I had gotten a King bed and asked to change to 2 beds. They said I would have to do that upon arrival if there was one available. When I arrived they had already taken care of that, There was an excellent HOT FULL breakfast which was complimentary on weekends and if you were a PriorityClub member during the week as well. It was free to join so we also had a free breakfast Monday. Live entertainment Sat night but not too loud-couldn't hear it in our room. Would definitely stay again! Beds were very comfortable too, which is a must for my back!

Room Tip: We had room 125 which was quiet and right in the middle of the hotel. Great location.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Latana H
Dear Latnana H,

Thank you for your resent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate. Sorry for the circumstance that brought you here, but so glad to hear that in your time of loss our hotel could make it easier. and comfortable. Thanks again fro your business.
North Greece, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

After staying at this location numerous times, I tried to check in today and pay cash for my room. I was informed that payment via credit card is MANDATORY -- no exceptions -- for a incremental "room deposit" (even if you had no plans to order room services, order a movie etc.). The robotic scripted speech about the policy was repeated over and over again by the check in clerk and "manager" until I left in sheer disgust. Last time you will ever see me or my family at a Holiday Inn location ever.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Scott U
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear Scott U,

Thank you for your comments about your experience on your last visit to the Holiday Inn, Southgate. I would like to apologize for the issue you experienced at our hotel and assure you that your review would most certainly be replied to. We take very seriously the confidence our guest place in us and we work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for bring this issuse to my attention.

Travellers are raving about these Southgate hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

I have stayed here a number of times for the points. The building is aged and a bit dated. The price is acceptable for the area and near our office. Several local spots for dining and close enough to downtown Detroit for some exploring. The resturant has a good breakfast (free to club members), lounge is good with good appetizers. The airport is also relatively close by with a van service for some local transporation if you are not renting a car. Pool area is nice as well as exersize room (basic equipment). Parking is adequate and if you are a IHG member, free access to gym next door.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Business 46,

Thank you for your resent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate. We greatly appreciate your business. We are glad to hear that the amenities we offer are of great use to you. We also appreicate your feedback about some of the areas you felt were dated. You'll be happy to know we will be doing some renovating in the very near furture. Thanks again for your feedback an your business.
Romulus, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

For over 15 yrs, even though we live locally, my husband & I have always had pleasant get-aways at the Holiday Inn Southgate. Subsequently, I recently chose this place for an overnight outing with 3 of my out-of-state sisters; anticipating a fun time. Initially, I had some concerns with the room but the staff went out of their way to address those concerns and I am very pleased with their response & resolution. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful & our stay was as much fun as I anticipated. Excellent pool, hot tub, dining & breakfast bar! This place remains a favorite place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are a closer walk to the pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Rita S.

Thank you for your resent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate. So glad to hear girls night out was a sucess. We greatly appreciate your business. WE pride ourselves on giving our guest top notch service. We look forward to see you again the the furture. Thanks again for you business.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

My wife and I live in Phoenix and have traveled to Michigan twice, staying at the Holiday Inn Southgate both times. Our first visit was essentially flawless; our second, not so.

The main issue (and apparently one for all to beware of) is young, hyper-active hockey players. According to hotel employees, these groups visit this hotel several times a year. The parents are the main problem (and dont realize it). The parents bring huge amounts of junk food (we personally saw this), feed the kids and then proceed to inebriate themselves in the bar or their rooms, letting the little hellions roam the hotel at will. So, picture a nice suburban motel (clean, modern with good facilities) with long hallways teaming with rampaging young hockey players. Relay races with much cheering and stomping). You get the picture. "Quiet hours" become meaningless. Apparently "quiet hours" start when the parents wish to pass out.

My wife called the desk twice, the last call at about midnight. Yes midnight. "Where the hell are the parents," I kept wondering. Nothing was really done. The only good thing was the rampaging monsters and their parental hungover accomplices checked out Sunday morning.

There is a bright side: hotel employees. These people, to a person, are friendly, respectful and like their jobs. (One interesting note: all employees we met have worked at the Southgate for a number of years) The front desk person Sunday morning was kind enough to refund our bar bill for our inconvenience. I thought this quite fair. She was also kind enough to store our bags behind the desk when some family dysfunction caused a glitch in our travel plans.

In summing up, this facility has a very very nice pool & spa area, great buffet breakfast (free on weekends), adequate rooms with fridge, big-screen TV, microwave, hair dryers and nice large shower/tubs. One room, ridiculously, has a hot tub right next to the bed. Also, a very nice restaurant and great bar top off the offerings.

Just remember to ask if the dreaded hockey players will be descending during your stay. If there is one improvement that can be made, its that Ms. Hartwig, general manager can look into some measures to instill in the stupid hockey player parents, the importance of the concept, "there are other people in the world." It's really quite mind boggling to think that rampaging kids in a hotel is acceptable behavior.

Room Tip: They're basically all the same.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear ScottO165,

Thank you for your resent stay at te Holiday Inn Southgate. Your business is greatly appreciated. Your feedback is also greatly appreciated. The comments about our staff were awesome. We pride ourselves on giving worlld class service to our guest. We take all of our guest concerns very serious. Since your last visit we have implemented a "Quiet Time" Policy. At 11:00pm all guest will be given only one warning for noise complaint, second complaint will result in eviction. We are asking all guest to have consideration for their neighbors. We have also outlined some public areas in the hotel where guest can congregate without disturbing others. All guest are given the same information when checking in. So for that last couple of weekends it has been working great. So I hope when you return To the Holiday Inn Southgate, your stay is as good as your first. Thanks again your taking time out of your day to give us your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southgate
Hampton Inn Detroit / Southgate
Red Roof Inn Detroit Southwest-Taylor
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Allen Park

Been to Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center? Share your experiences!