“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Southgate
Clarkston, Michigan
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I've been at this hotel on two occasions now in the last year for conferences and couldn't be happier with my experience with a few subtle issues.

The rooms here are large and well adorned, with updated linens and decor. I do think Holiday Inn is doing what they can to upgrade their properties and even though Southgate is not a destination location for the majority of people, it's a great stop-over hotel or conference location for those looking to "get off the highway." I've also seen weddings here and this would not be remotely my first choice for an event like that.

The service was excellent, the hotel was clean and quiet, the beds were confortable and I couldn't have been happier with my experience. It's definitely not the Ritz, but you're not paying those prices either.

My only complaints would be the food at the hotel, which is not good. There are other options in the area and I would suggest you use those. Also, though updated, the hotel is burdened with an old layout and it's a bit of a maze walking through the uninspiring hallways on your way to your room or conference area and the bathrooms in the rooms are less than inspiring.

These are however, minor beefs. I very much recommend this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear marcusg123,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to the quality of food. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I booked a reservation with my credit card. When I arrived, the desk attendant said I had no reservation. They still billed my card. Now I'm going through hell trying to get them to remove the charge from my card.
All this, by the way, after driving 12 hours to find out that my wife and kids and I would have to go scrounging for a room.

Room Tip: Watch your credit card statement carefully if you stay at this hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert_T_Bennett
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Robert_T_Bennett,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate Heritage Center, MI. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Southgate hotels

Villa Hills, KY
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We were in town for a wedding weekend. We were given two options for wedding accommodations--this hotel, or another which was way down the list on trip advisor. First the positives--the check-in was very quick and the staff helpful and courteous. The complimentary breakfast buffet was adequate, but nothing special, and the restaurant staff very friendly and attentive. At first glance the hotel feels a little dated but overall clean and well kept with a spacious guest room which conveniently included a frig and microwave. Now for the not so good. Bathrooms were very small with the dressing area and sink located outside the bathroom. The air conditioner ran continuously even though it was a cool weekend. The air felt damp as did the carpet. It took us awhile to realize that after walking barefoot on the carpet, our feet were almost black! The bathroom and main room felt clean until I dropped a pair of glasses behind the bedside table and discovered all of the dust behind it. What really creeped us out was returning back one day to find a centipede crawling across the comforter. I might have thought this was a rare occurence had I not had to keep swatting away small fruit fly like insects while I brushed my teeth at the sink. We were located on the ground floor with a lot of flowers and landscaping directly outside which may have been the source of the critters. I would have mentioned it upon checkout, but on a Sunday they seemed short-staffed at the desk and she was trying to wait on guests and answer numerous phone calls simultaneously. The other thing we found rather odd was that housekeeping comes by very early in the morning. While we were trying to get ready for the wedding at 9:30 am, we put out the do not disturb sign. This resulted in a notice under our door that they would not be doing service on our room that day unless we called the desk and scheduled before 3:00. Seems a little early to miss your chance for service given that there must have been plenty of check-outs to take care of first. Overall we had a decent stay but if we visited the area again we would check out the options outside of this exit. There are few hotels here, and I think this was one of the best there was to offer, but not up to the standards I would have expected.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear kycoltsfan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our front desk staff and room amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding cleanliness, housekeeping and bathroom size. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
UK
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My flight was cancelled on this occasion, and I was sent by the airline to this hotel.
Staff were very friendly- because we checked in at 4.30AM, the receptionist allowed us to check out later the next day so we could sleep as much as possible before heading back to the airport. Breakfast was very nice. Bed was very comfortable.
My only complaint is that the curtains in our room were not able to be closed. As it was a bright, sunny day, it was quite hard to sleep during the day.
Apart from that, my short visit was uneventful and staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Nice hotel; easy drive to Detroit and the airport. Bed was very comfortable; breakfast was good for a comp. Hotel staff pleasant. Hotel bar (and live entertainment) was nice; rather empty on the Friday night but was full following two weddings returning to the hotel on Saturday night. Appeared to be an older (or well used) property but overall the hotel was a very good deal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We had a great stay at your hotel. the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and helpful. Your restaurant was fabulous. The seafood buffet was wonderful and your breakfasts were more than sufficient. We ran into a number of employees that we would like to commend . Claudia served us in the restaurant for breakfast, Sheila was a bartender doing double duty as a waitress in the restaurant for the evening meal. They were both wonderful and couldn't say enough nice things about working at such a wonderful place. Angie was a great help with reservations and room accommodations. We will certainly comeback to this hotel due to the wonderful service we received. Please let these three employees know how happy we were with their service.

Room Tip: first floor, right next to the door 3 to outside. Great room, no noise and easy reach to everything...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The staff was wonderfully helpful and friendly. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard and pool with tons to see and do in the area. Angie at the desk was very, very helpful and lots of fun to visit with. She went out of her way to make sure we had a pleasant stay. Sheila in the dining room was wonderful too and took time to visit a bit with us. Claudia in the dining room in the morning also went out of her way to be friendly and helpful. It was a great trip, the staff made sure of that.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southgate
Hampton Inn Detroit / Southgate
Comfort Suites Southgate
Comfort Suites Southgate
#3 of 8 in Southgate
La Quinta Inn Detroit Southgate
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southgate - Detroit Area
Red Roof Inn Detroit Southwest-Taylor
Holiday Inn Express Woodhaven

Been to Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center? Share your experiences!