“Very Firendly Staff, Clean Hotel”

Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Southgate
Clearwater, Florida
“Very Firendly Staff, Clean Hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here for five nights recently on a business trip. The staff was very friendly and greeted me as a platinum member. The lobby and hallways by the convention rooms are very nice. The hallways by the rooms are clean but need remodeling. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They also gave me a free breakfast coupon at check in. I would stay here again if I had business in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark0076

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Pretty much what I would expect from a Holiday Inn. Plenty of towels, bottled soaps, etc. for my wife and me. Bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. We did get a free bacon and egg breakfast with juice...even though our online booking stated that breakfast was not included. The attached bar served us a nacho large enough for four people with two beers for $14.
Cons: Toilet tissue repeatedly did not flush on our first attempt. Lack of bathroom fan caused mirror to steam up while shaving along with not dispensing odors from bowel movements.
I rated low for value because there was a LaQuinta nearby 50% cheaper. In hindsight, to save 50%, I should have checked out the LaQuinta reviews...but I was in a hurry to do the booking due to a death in the family.
OldTOm

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
riverrouge
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had a great time me and my family enjoyed our time i room was really clean i can say i had no complaints everyone at the hotel was welcoming they have a great staff especial brittany from housekeeping she really went above and beyond i had no Landry soap and she offer to get me some and to wash my items for me she really a great help and staff member when i try using the one they had for guest and it wouldn't work for me overall i would recommend this place to anyone great time.

• Stayed March 2014
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The price was good - about $10 cheaper than comparable chains. When I first arrived, I was disappointed as it looked old, small, and dated. It is clearly an older hotel. As soon as I entered I could see attention had been placed internally as the lobby area and hallways were updated, clean and nice. The staff was friendly and quick. My initial room impression was good as it was clean and typical of a Holiday Inn. However, as I settled in for the night I found the HVAC unit was not working properly the bed was not comfortable so it was not a good night sleep for me. I ended up leaving after one night (had planned on two). I am still giving this a 3 because of the cleanliness and staff friendliness. I am hopeful that I just got a bad room. Still, next time I will pay the $10 to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Kingmba,

Thank you for your feedback and recent stay at the Holiday Inn Southgate. I'm sorry you did not have a restful night sleep. Be assured I will look into both of the issues you had. We are doing lots of up grades to our rooms and hope that if you are in the Southgate area again you will give us another try.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here at the beginning of March for 1 night. The hotel is about 20 minutes or less from the airport and very easy to find. Once at the hotel you notice that the highway is very close and easy to get to. The hotel is only 2 stories with a lot of rooms. So the hallways are very long and if you park in the front of the hotel it may take you some time to walk all the way to your room. The rooms are nice. Well suited with everything you need. It's not glamorous but it has the essentials. I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles K
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2014

First off, my caveat is, if it hadn't been for the shuttle situation, I would have given this hotel a 3 or 4 rating. But the shuttle situation marred the entire experience in the worst way. So if you are thinking of staying here, if you don't have to take the shuttle, I actually recommend it! If you do need to rely on the abhorrent shuttle situation, STAY FAR AWAY.

Therefore, I have very mixed feelings about sharing this review. The front desk staff at check-in was great. Being a Platinum member of the Priority Club program, I was given a fantastic suite. The hotel clearly has been around for a while and it shows. But it also has a bit of old school charm. There's an odd assortment of old, unused appliances of some sort in a stairwell, which is strange. But overall, the property seemed quite well-maintained for its age.

So, as I checked in, I asked about the shuttle schedule. The person at the front desk said the shuttle runs every hour on the hour. I asked if it's the same when you are at the airport, explaining that I needed to go to return my rental car and wanted to take the shuttle back. She said, in that case it's on demand. So call when I'm there and she'll send the shuttle "right out" to pick me up. "Great,” I said! Famous last words!

I returned the car and got dropped off at the North Terminal at DTW. I immediately called. The person asked me what terminal I was in and then said that the driver had was just returning to the hotel with a load but he should be back out in 25-30 minutes. I said that since it's so cold outside, I would go upstairs where it's warm and come down in 20 minutes in plenty of time for his return. She, in turn, very nicely promised to call me back if he returned early. Excellent plan! Exactly 20 minutes later I was back downstairs shivering at the bus stand waiting....and waiting, and waiting. A half hour later I called back. It was a different person (shift change at 11pm presumably) who seemed to know nothing about the original plan but said that the driver had been to the airport and returned, and talked about how when the 4 seats fill up he goes. I explained that I never even saw him and she kept referring to Delta and I kept saying I'm not at the Delta terminal. I'm at the Northern Terminal.

I explained that it was extremely cold and rainy. And, even if I waited inside the door, not only is it still very cold (because there wasn't any heat inside the door and the doors were constantly open with a steady stream of folks going in and out), plus the windows were frosted and I couldn't see the buses properly when standing inside. So I asked if she could let me know when the driver will be back approximately, so I could come down and be outside waiting. She said 15 minutes and she would call me back if that changes. Well, a half hour later, still no shuttle and no call.

Then, when I called back again she said she was having a hard time reaching the driver and asked if I had a cab voucher from Delta. I said, "I know you all have a lot going on, but again, for what must be the 7th time, I'm not flying with Delta. I'm not flying at all. I went to return a rental car. I'm not at the Delta Terminal. I'm at the North Terminal in the hotel shuttle waiting area." While i waited she was finally able to reach him and she said he would be there in 10 minutes maximum because he was close. Twenty-five minutes later I called back. She got him on the phone while was holding said he was waiting in the pick-up area and I wasn't there. I said that I was standing with all of the other hotel shuttles are. Then there was an exchange and she came back and said he was at "The South Terminal" and he would be right over. Maurice finally came (He was VERY nice and professional).

However, all of this made me wonder if the shuttle had ever come to the North Terminal at all, or if it was just going back and forth to the McNamara Terminal while I froze and struggled to stay awake WAITING FOR TWO HOURS AND FIFTEEN MINUTES after a long day in Lansing and a white-knuckled drive in the snow and freezing rain to get back to Detroit.

To bring this long story to an end, the folks on the van also had their own stories of woe re trying to contact the hotel and get the shuttle. After this ordeal, we got to the hotel at 1:20am!!

If all of this wasn't horrific enough, to add insult to absolutely egregious injury, I called down to the front desk to sign up for the 6am shuttle in the morning. I was informed that every shuttle from 5am to 8am was fully booked. She asked (same person I had been speaking to all night) if I had been given a cab voucher from Delta. (grrrrrrr) When I explained, yet again, that I wasn’t with Delta. (she was apologetic saying that almost everyone in the hotel was a distressed traveler stranded with Delta) She then informed me that the only thing I could do is book a cab and pay for it. I had 3.5 hours of sleep! When I got to the airport I paid a whopping $36 DOLLARS for the cab ride ($30 flat fee plus tip). Now I’m on my third flight of the day to Los Angeles after staggering around airports and nodding off on planes all day, thanks to this situation and am $36 poorer for the experience.

Holiday Inn Southgate has the distinction of providing one of the most horrible hotel experiences in my lengthy and extensive history of travel. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Theresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Constant Roadster,

I would like to personally like to apologize for the inconvenience of our shuttle service.We appreciate your feedback and your Business. I will personally look into this issue and address it accordingly. We pride ourselves on giving our guest, great service. I make no excuses for the lack of communication, but i assure that we take this issue seriously and will take all measures to correct it. Thank again for your recent visit to the Holiday inn Southgate. We hope that if your ever in the Southgate area, you will allow us to make this up to you.

The General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Southgate hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here (used my air mile points - for those who have them) January 17 & 18, 2014 and really enjoyed my stay. Check in was simple and the desk staff (sorry did not get the ladies names) were very pleasant. i stayed on the first floor (room 105) the room was very quiet, pleasantly decorated and very clean. I went to the jacuzzi - nice. I received a 25% off coupon at the restaurant (Charlies Chophouse) and the food was very good and done to my order. All the wait staff appeared very eager and looked like they enjoyed their job. Josh my server - was awesome - learning about wine and looked like he was getting an A!! Breakfast buffet was ok - nothing special - food was not as hot as i would prefer but edible! I will be back - thank you to all who made my staff so enjoyable

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southgate
Hampton Inn Detroit / Southgate
Comfort Suites Southgate
Comfort Suites Southgate
#3 of 8 in Southgate
La Quinta Inn Detroit Southgate
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southgate - Detroit Area
Red Roof Inn Detroit Southwest-Taylor
Holiday Inn Express Woodhaven

Been to Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center? Share your experiences!