“No disappointments here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Spring Lake
Indianapolis
“No disappointments here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

My husband and I took my mom here for a quick getaway. I booked the hotel and then read the reviews here. I almost canceled because of them, but I am very glad I did not. We loved it all. A very resort like feel, very clean room, great beds and super view. Loved the pools, tiki bar and the entertainment. The food was great as well. The nearby downtown of Grand Haven was quaint and fun with good restaurants, shopping and of course there is also Lake Michigan nearby. The hotel is located on Spring Lake where there is direct access for boats to go to Lake Michigan. I can't imagine someone being disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SammyIndianapolis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

This is an older hotel and has not been updated in a while. There are no automatic doors and the elevators are EXTREMELY small. The decor is outdated through out and the carpet looks like it should be replaced.
Our room was clean and the furniture was old but it served its purpose. We had a partial view of the river and the balcony was more like a ledge with 2 plastic chairs and a ton of mosquitos. The pools were ok and I really liked the fact that the outdoor pool is heated, so I did not feel cold at all. The pool furniture is metal and very hard so I couldn't lay out comfortably. The outdoor bar area was nice but we did not use it.
I would recomened this hotel for someone staying overnight and would suggest having no high expectations. It was just ok and good enough for our one night stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

The price of the room of very expensive and never will I go back there. We waited forever to get a table at breakfast and the manger there acted like she was annoyed that she had to seat us. Hotel is very old and it really needs some good houskeeping. Our floor in the room had crumbs beside the dresser and our toilet leaked and we had to put a towel on the floor so we wouldn't slip. We boooked our room through Hotels.com and got charged 2 times. Didn't know that till 2 days afterwards and now I have to call and get my money back, just another hassel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank pschar
Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

First let me say, Grand Haven is beautiful! The hotel has only king and DOUBLE bed rooms, no QUEEN beds, by double I mean a little larger than a twin. So for my family of four this really sucked. This was not expressed to me when booking the room or I never would have booked it. Also when I booked the room, I was told I would get two $20 gift vouchers for breakfast at Jacks, they were not given to me at check in either, when I asked the manager about this he very RUDELY yelled JUST GIVE THEM TO HER. He is a complete jerk, with a chip on his shoulder and should not be in a position to deal with customers. There are lots of hotels in the area that will be happy to accommodate you, dont stay here!!

As for Jacks, the restraunt is the only thing the hotel has going for it. The staff is very friendly and the food is great!! Thank you to the staff for adding a positive note to our family vacation.

As for the manger of the hotel, I hope you are treated the same when you vacation as you treat your customers.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank indiana101
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

Stayed here one night while on business.

This is an older Holiday Inn and it shows. The room was clean and the were able to reassign me to a room facing the water (instead of the bridge embankment) after I saw the first room.

It is a little tricky to get into and out of the driveway, as it is on the down slope of the bridge.

The room was not very large (typical older hotel), but clean and everything worked well.

It was OK, but I would probably make a different choice next time if one of my favorite chains were available.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Chicago,Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

I am a travel agent from Chicago and this review is based on my experience and why I would not recommend this hotel to a client.

STAFF- The management at this hotel is focused on the bottom line and not the guest's needs or overall satisfaction.

We had a confirmed reservation and when we arrived we were told the hotel was overbooked and that the only room available was a conference room with pull out coach. The young manager (blond hair) did not seem to care if we stayed at the hotel or not - the first thing he said was that he would find us another hotel in the area and hopefully they could honor our rate. I explained that I had a confirmed King Room and that we did not want to leave (10pm at night). The manager blamed the situation on his morning staff and never apologized. We ended taking the pull out coach for the first night and switching to a King the next morning.

Nichole at the front desk did a great job helping us switch rooms and I would recommend you go to her if you need anything during your stay.

If the hotel owner is reading this: The night manager (younger, blond guy) was so rude and unaccommodating he must be reprimanded. He gave us the worst first impression of a hotel possible. I deal with hotels who overbook all the time and I know it happens but the way that manager handled the situation was disgusting. I would never send a client to a hotel that is under his management.

back to review...

The hotel is privately owned and operated and it shows. You can complain all you want but it will not do you any good. The management does what the owner says - that's it. Don't have high expectation or expect a corporate standard that you would usually get at other hotel's.

HOTEL - The hotel is very dated - example the chairs by the pool are at least 20 years old. They are solid metal and rusted so bring as many towels as you can from the room because they hurt your back. The rooms are updated and the bathroom is clean. It's your standard 3-star accommodations - everything you would get at any other Holiday Inn.

The pool and workout room are running properly and clean.

Jack's restaurant - The resorts restaurant is also the bar in the nighttime.

BAR- We arrived late and stopped in for some drinks. The staff was great and the prices are fair. They close at 2am Mon-Sat and closed on Sunday.

RESTAURANT - The menu consists of overpriced American Bistro dishes. The menu prices range from $18-30 for average steaks and chicken entrees. There are so many options in the area just grab a cab and go down 31-N - The view into the harbor from the restaurant was the highlight of the evening.

The last day of our trip we decided to go to Jack's and try out the $2.99 breakfast special that they advertise on the brochures and HUGE sign hanging outside the hotel. Well when we were seated we noticed there was no special menu and that all the breakfast items were $9 and up. We asked the waitress about the specials and she said that they were doing Brunch. I double checked that we were there at the right time Mon-Sat 8-11am. The waitress told us she would ask the manager if they would make an exception for us (Favor) and walked away. I realized that Jack's was trying to pull a fast one on all the guests at the hotel. There was no warning that the specials were not going on and people obviously didn't want to go through the trouble of leaving so they just paid extra. We on the other hand walked out before the manager could even approach us. The fact that the hotel would hang this huge sign outside on the main road and act AGAIN like they were doing us a favor by honoring it was very disappointing and degrading.

Location: The location is convenient - 4 min. drive to the beach/downtown area of Gran Haven. The hotel is on a pier and there are boats docked with people partying. The marina is separate from the hotel so you will see people (Usually Drunk) walking from their boats into the hotel or restaurant.

Overall Gran Haven's charm comes from the smaller resorts. If you cannot stay in a local BB or hotel then stay at the Marriott Fairfield Inn Gran Haven. I paid $59.00 a night to stay at the Holiday Inn (Travel Agent Rate) and I still do not think it's worth the money. The average rate is $139 - for that kind of money you can get so much more in Gran Haven if you do a little more research.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChicagoBearsFan11
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

This hotel was awful. We booked a trip to a hotel at the Lake Michigan coast for our anniversary. We were enjoying a romantic glass of champagne on the balcony when a so-called maintenance person walked by several times smoking a cigarette, crudely staring at us. We felt exposed and insecure. We thought hotels were supposed to be private in nature. Not here. Unfortunately, also, we were unable to lock the balcony door after this, which made us nervous about the stranger outdoors as well as for our safety, but the front desk staff refused to move us at first, causing us to get very angry with them, inevitably ruining our whole night together due to displaced anger and frustration. We are still waiting to hear back from the hotel manager regarding our complaints about our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 18 in Holland
Baymont Inn & Suites Muskegon
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Haven
Holiday Inn Express Holland

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake? Share your experiences!