“There are better optionsin the area.”

Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I've stayed here a few times while on business over the past few years, and I probably won't anymore. While the staff greets you with a smile and are efficient and friendly at their job, the hotel is very 'tired' and dated. The rooms have old carpeting that seems to be well beyond it's expected life and difficult to clean. I was hesitant to walk around the room in bare feet. The wallpaper is peeling at several of the seams, and there are numerous basic maintenance problems that need to be dealt with such as peeling paint, stains, tiles that need to be replaced, etc. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me to substantiate these concerns.
While in the room, trying to go to sleep at 2:00 a.m., we could still hear the thumping of the bass from the sound system in the bar.
The bar, while having a good view of the river, wreaks of thick smoke (Michigan is one of the unfortunate states that still allows smoking in restaurants and bars) and the ventilation - if there is any - doesn't help.
The restaurant offers a fine view of the river and the service and food quality were quite good.
Overall, however, I would recommend other hotel options in the area until this one receives a major renovation. While this Holiday Inn is located in a prime area (on the water), there are several options that are better.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 October 2009

Some of my co-workers recommended this hotel for our educational retreat. The hotel's staff treated us very well. Service was outstanding. The food on site was some of the best that I have eaten in Michigan. During our meetings, we were not disturbed, and we were assisted when needed. The hotel also provided evening entertainment, which was good.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I have NEVER had such a horrible experience any where EVER and because I know that I have friends who are friends with staff members at the Holiday Inn, I will not mention any names, but here is a brief run down of our interactions with the hotel.

Mid-July – While standing in front of the guest services manager, I filled out the necessary paperwork needed in order to reserve a block of rooms at a discounted rate for guests of our wedding. I was then handed a business card and was told that I would receive email confirmation.

August 16 – I wasn’t sure how long it would take, so on this date I emailed the Guest Services Manager to follow-up on my room reservation, since I had not received an email confirmation.

Mid-September – I stopped back into the hotel to check on the room block. The guy who “tried” to help me was unable to locate our last names on the system. He handed me the business card of the Guest Services Manager and said I needed to talk to him.

EVERY DAY since the last time I was physically inside the hotel we have called to get this sorted. Some of the staff would tell us general times the Guest Services Manager should have been there. One time I asked the girl on the other end when he would be in and she responded with a sassy: “I am trying to help a guest” Why the heck did she answer the phone if I was such an inconvenience?

FINALLY – Sunday night we got in touch with the Guest Services manager who explained that he had no paper work for us, did not believe that we had ever been there, claimed that he did not receive my email, and said that at this point it was too late and there was nothing that he could do.

Ultimately, he set up a block of rooms at the current rental rate…pretty pointless!
I live in the area and have stayed at higrandhaven many times for various reasons and the place is filthy and crawling with scary people!

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank meliser
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Haven Holiday Inn on Septmeber 19th, 2009. There amenities say they take pets so we brought our little maltese. We have taken him several times to hotels but this was the dirtiest I've ever been to. They put us on the first floor, which was very outdated. The bathroom floor was so dirty I was afraid to step on it. I did'nt even want my white dog to be on the floor. It was terrible. I felt like we were being punished for bringing our pet. Our dog is cleaner than most humans! Everytime we have stayed at hotels that take pets we have always had clean rooms. This was just gross. The carpeting was also filthy! What a disappointment. Next time we are up there we will pick another hotel even if we have to go to another town!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank quadcitiesladybug
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My Girlfriends & I want to complainment the entire staff at this hotel. From the time we made our reservation right to the check out time. The staff behind the desk were very helpful with directions to different locations we needed to go. The wait staff in the resturants were very pleasant & attentive while serving. The housekeeping staff were extremely good. I lost some money (not expecting to see it again) and Jode Bijarro-Sprite called & the housekeeper found it & turned it in. Very honest in my eyes. We would definetly stay there again. Thank you very much for an enjoyable week-end.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Before we booked our stay at the Holiday Inn Grand Haven I was a little sketchy because Hotels.com and other places only rated it at 2 Stars. Believe me when I say that's an low-ball rating. I am a very indecisive person and booking our room for two nights took four phone calls. The same man - Dan - answered the phone every time too. I thought he would be completely tired of us but he wasn't. He was patient and kind with every laborious call from me.

The room was completely clean and the bedding was a simple white cover - which was perfect. There were even two mints on our bed-side stand. The bathroom was small but configured in such a way that it felt much bigger.

The hotel restaurant - Jack's - was hand's-down some of the best hotel food I've ever eaten. (I highly recommend the breakfast burrito!!) The servers at the Tiki Bar were super sweet and helpful. And even our room-service waitress was incredibly friendly.

The view from our room wasn't the best - cause it was on the parking lot side. But some of the rooms facing the courtyard, pool and river must have been gorgeous. If you get a room on the courtyard side you will even have a sliding door that opens up onto your own patio!

Our stay in this hotel was one of my most wonderful experiences (and I have been to 7 countries around the world). I would mark our stay here as one of my top 5 favorites.

By the way - they are pet friendly. Our dog stayed right in the room with us! Most hotels charge $40-80 per night for dogs but it was nothing like that here!! A simple $10/night charge (non-taxed) is added on to the room charge.

Totally wonderful experience. We cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Like most travellers, I read reviews before I stay somewhere. I was apprehensive, but was pleasantly surprised at the hotel, staff, rooms, and food. Couldn't ask for better and made my workshop that much more enjoyable!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores
Holiday Inn Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake? Share your experiences!