“Nice two-bedroom suites with full kitchen”

TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We booked several two-bedroom suites as well as four studio unites for ourselves and out-of-town relatives coming in for a family wedding. The location was perfect - right around the corner from the reception hall, Villa Penna. Lakeside Mall was right across the street from the hotel, which was convenient for picking up last-minute items for the wedding.

The suites were very clean and having the separate bedrooms offered privacy. The bathroom sink was separate from the toilet and tub room, which helped as we got ourselves ready for the wedding. We were able to store lots of food in the full-size fridge, and the kitchen was stocked with basic cookware, dishes and utensils. The "living room" area was small, but we managed to squeeze about 16 relatives in one of the suites for a few hours to hang out together before going to bed!

The breakfast was not impressive, but you can definitely fill up on fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, instant oatmeal, cold cereal and milk, yogurt, juice, bagels and pre-wrapped PB&J sandwiches. The bad part was that there is no separate area or room for breakfast beside the few tables in the small lobby, so many guests took their selections back to their rooms.

The hotel pool was small and located right next to the parking lot by the front door, and there is a very small gym. We didn't make use of these amenities, but we did go down the street (Hall Rd.) to CJ Barrymore's for go-cart racing, which was fun for all the adults and kids. (20 ride tickets for $80)

Room Tip: There are two separate buildings, so it may be more convenient to get a room in the same building as...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I booked the studio suite for myself, my husband and my 19 year old son....that did not work out, it was way too small. I based the size of the room from the website which I was told from the front desk clerk is their 2 bedroom suite and she wished they would remove it because I was not the only one who thought that. The 2 bedroom suite was not available because they have long term residents in just about all of them so I booked yet another room, doubling my costs. My son moved to the 3rd floor only to call me to tell me about all of the bugs in the room. The front desk responded that there are always centipedes this time of year with the heat. That would be understandable until there were 3 others that made an entrance. Back to the front desk and he was moved to the first floor. Immediately upon entering there was a horrible musty smell and you guessed it more bugs only this time...giant spider on the ceiling. He spent the night cramped in our room until the room next to ours opened up. The staff the following day on Friday were wonderful. Very apologetic and they took care of our dilemma promptly and made sure the room was cleaned thoroughly after the previous occupants checked out.
After a bad start the rest of the stay was acceptable but honestly I would rather spend a little more per night and stay at other Marriott brands that I favor.

Date Stayed: July 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I could almost rate it a 5 but the breakfast was very poor for this caliber of hotel and I don't give a 5 unless it is very special. The breakfast eating area was very small and choice very limited. We were here five days after being on the road for 4 days with my special needs daughter and 8 year old granddaughter (they were good). This was our "home" while attending a family function and visiting relatives. We had two bedrooms with kitchen which cost us extra but well worth it for all of us. They allowed our small dog for $100 extra regardless of length of stay. So for us it was $20 per night. He is family so it was worth it. My wife and I had stayed here before and knew the hotel so making reservations weeks in advance was a no brainer for us. Several relatives also stayed there on our recommendations. The place was clean, friendly, good location for us, secure, pool looked small but clean (too much family time to swim). We did some laundry for $2.00 per wash and $2.00 per dry (they worked well). This may or may not be in line as I haven't paid for wash and dry since it was $.25 per wash.

Room Tip: We went on our previous stay at this one and the reputation of TownePlace. If you had a good stay a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2013

TownePlace Suites is located in Sterling Heights about a half hour north of Detroit. I don't know if I'd stay there if I had business in the city center, but it is convenient for many locations north of the city.

The hotel is clean and convenient. My room (a studio) was relatively large and comfortable and included a kitchenette. Like a lot of hotels in this area in the wake of the bankruptcies of Chrysler and GM, I had the sense that the hotel had not been recently renovated, but was well maintained. Wi-fi is included in the price and was plenty fast for my needs, primarily email and surfing the web.

The hotel is directly across from a shopping mall (which I didn't use). I think because of the mall, there were at least a dozen different restaurants within a half mile or so. We ate at a Carrabba's, but there were many other chains and local restaurants located nearby. There is also a Kroger's grocery store in the area in case you want to buy food to make yourself in the kitchen area.

Breakfast wasn't fancy (cereal, bagels, coffee), but it was serviceable and free.

What made this hotel very good than merely good for me was the level and friendliness of the service. We were warmly greeted when we came in, and everyone we came in contact with was nice. I had a small problem with the air conditioning (which I think may even have been my own fault). When I called, someone came up within 3 minutes and then checked back 30 minutes later to make sure everything was fine (which it was).

TownePlace Suites is a good place to stay if you find yourself in the suburbs north of Detroit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stay here a couple times a month, and find it very relaxing. Location to my work, huge choice of resturants and shopping (for those who like to do that). The staff here are marlevous. Greeted with smiles all the time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My girlfriends and I go on a weekend shopping trip every year and for the last 3 years we have stayed here. The service is always exceptional, the rooms clean, tidy and comfortable and location is excellent. This stay was no exception. We were upgraded to a 2bdrm suite from a studio, wonderful surprise. Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Front desk clerks were very friendly and always greeted you with a smile and hello. Location can't be beat. Walking distance to Lakeside Mall and numerous restaurants and shops within the circle. Less than 10 minute drive to Partridge Creek Mall. The breakfast is average but gives you something to get the day started. At one time they did not even offer breakfast so I am glad they now have at least a continental breakfast to offer. We will definitely be staying here again next year.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. Take the stairs, they are 10x quicker than the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel was horrible! I have stayed in many hotels and this was by far my worst stay yet! The walls are so thin! You can hear other people's conversation next door. The breakfast was so bad. Everything was expired! We let the desk clerk know and they put the same breakfast out the next day!!!! The hotel needs some updating. The area is nice and close to the mall.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank jtravel670
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling Heights
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
5 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Sterling Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Sterling He...
#1 of 7 in Sterling Heights
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#4 of 7 in Utica
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sterling Heights-Detroit Area
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ste...
#2 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica

Been to TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights? Share your experiences!