“A haven of peace and tranquility”
Review of Casart Game Lodge

Casart Game Lodge
Beds
“A haven of peace and tranquility”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Casart Lodge is a haven of peace and tranquility amongst the bush. While the unsurfaced road from the main road through the Greitje reserve to Casart is very rough, the location of the lodge is sublime. It is nestled amongst the brush with sweeping views over its own (man-made) watering hole and the African bush. While driving to the lodge we came across giraffes and several types of antelope and we awoke the first morning to find a waterbuck on the verandah outside our lodge! Our lodge (Simba) was very comfortable, with two large bedrooms, a luxurious bathroom and shower and a living area/kitchen with verandah. The bedrooms had air-conditioning and mosquito nets. The deck and pool area are at least as good as on the photos, especially at night when the lights, candles and gas flame are lit. Dinner each night was wonderfully cooked and presented by Sonia and provided the perfect opportunity to try some local dishes. With only 8 guests dinner was a very intimate experience and perfectly combined good food, style, individual attention and a luxurious setting. Jan and Sonia were perfect hosts, and from the moment we arrived we were treated as honoured guests rather than tourists. When our hire-car broke down on the way to Casart Jan immediately drove to our help in his 4x4. Jan and Sonia were always available for advice and guidance or for a friendly chat after dinner. This was also reflected in the other staff, who were all unfailingly friendly, helpful and attentive. We took a morning game-drive one day and while we didn't see any of the lions, elephants or rhino on the reserve we had a very enjoyable and individual introduction to the bush and the wildlife. Casart was the highlight of our trip to South Africa and we have already recommended it to our friends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Alan-J-P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I had been procrastinating visiting Kruger as I couldn't imagine the game viewing would live up to the hype and expectation. Had I known Casart Game Lodge existed, I would have visited much sooner! I researched so many places, and am grateful that I final decided on Casart. It is absolutely the perfect mix of luxury and simplicity. My boyfriend and I booked into the private rondavels with hot tub outside under the stars. The room was tasteful but simple. Small touches like bathrobes, double-sinks, and clever design made us feel at home and like we had plenty of room. On previous safaris, I have left over-stuffed from huge meals and tea breaks and over-tired from 4 AM game drive wake ups. What Jan and Sonia offer at Casart was a dream and so relaxing. We awoke to a delicious breakfast every morning. After learning that my favorite food is French toast, Sonia served it to us every day even though it was not on the menu. Lunch was on our own, which was perfect because we were doing self-drives through the Kruger during the day. We would return to our lovely rondavel for a rest before joining Jan and Sonia for a delicious dinner. My boyfriend's clear favorite was the Amarula cheesecake - so Sonia actually dug up the very last piece and served it to us with our French toast for our last meal at Casart! We were due to check out but the sun kept shining and we hadn't had a chance to enjoy the pool yet. Sonia and Jan graciously let us extend our stay for several hours so we could enjoy the beautiful pool and deck. I will never forget listening to elephants crashing through the bush at night or drinking my morning coffee while overlooking the watering hole below the swimming pool. Never have my expectations been exceeded like they were at Casart. This was the perfect place for us. Casart is such good value and we felt that Casart offered what was most important to us - delicious but not overwhelming food, comfortable accommodation in a peaceful setting, and impeccable service. Thank you Jan and Sonia! I have recommended you to several people and we will definitely be back for a return visit! - Kristin and James

Room Tip: We loved the rondavels because they seemed more private than the guesthouse rooms (though we didn...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kristin K
singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

The moment we arrived at Casart Game Lodge, we were warmly greeted by Jan and Sonia, who took time to sit and chat with us, getting to know us like friends. All our requests were attended to very very promptly , like bookings for a game drive just one hour before we were supposed to leave for it. Whenever we discuss our plans with them, Jan and Sonia will see to it that they assist us the best way we can. Sonia assures that we never go hungry by preparing food for us before our game drives, and even took the effort to add a cute note to wish us a good time on top of the food in neat and clean containers !

Dinners were the most awesome. Sonia cooks very awesome food done in a very original way and her food are nutritious yet tasty! And the way they serve dinner, it makes me feel I was in a fine - dining restaurant but not in an intimidating manner.

I'm sure Sonia and Jan treat their staff very well and respectfully too because their staff are not only friendly and efficient,they are so warm and happy doing what they are doing.

The place has an infinity pool that overlooks the forest and a small watering hole so it's a nice place to watch the birds and enjoy the symphony nature has.

The rooms are beautiful and spacious and clean and come with a large outdoor jacuzzi tubs. I love the spaciousness and the design of the bathroom area!

Despite it being a hot summer and a malaria - prone area in that region, somehow I've not encountered even one mosquito in the room and the lodge in general. Somehow they took precautions to ensure mosquitoes are kept at bay as much as they humanly can.

You have to stay here if you're in the area. You're missing out if you dont!
Thanks Sonia and Jan:) you both are the best!!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank leong_Stella
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I have so many good things to say about this place I don't even know where to start. We just spent an amazing five nights at Casart game lodge and it has been a once in a lifetime experience that we will never forget.
The fun couple who run the lodge, Sonia and Jan, have really created a magical place. It is easy to see that they have put all their heart and soul into the lodge. They place a high value on customer service and it seemed like they thought of every little detail to make their guests feel at home. They always provided impeccable service and really went above and beyond to ensure we had a great stay. One of them was always there to help us with anything we needed, whether it be plan our day, top up our wine, book a safari/tour, pack a lunch....anything.
We stayed in one of the luxury rondavels and let me tell you, it was luxury! The room far exceeded our expectations. It was absolutely stunning. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was hot and high pressured.The highlight was the wrap around balcony complete with table, chairs, sun loungers and a jacuzzi! It was the epitome of romance.
The lodge is gorgeous and very intimate, it only sleeps 8 people so you really feel like you are getting special attention. The decor was perfect and the common space overlooked the pool with Kruger in the distance. I loved that they lit candles, lanterns and torches at night which really added to the ambiance at dinner. In fact we loved the lodge so much that the first day we couldn't bear to leave it. It was heaven. We even saw an elephant at the watering hole just below the pool!
However, the best part was the food. The dinners were unreal. Sonia and Jan have created an impressive ever changing menu fit for all tastes that is a mix between comfort food and authentic African dishes. I am such a picky eater and I enjoyed every single dish! And the breakfast was just as delicious.
The location is perfect. It was close enough to do day trips to all the sites in the area and only an hour drive away from the Phalaborwa Kruger gate which was much less crowded than the more popular one in the south. Also, Casart is on a private reserve that borders Kruger so the same animals we saw at the park we saw on the way to the lodge.

I honestly could not recommend this lodge enough. We hope to bring our family back someday so they can experience what we did. I will miss this place but most of all I will miss Sonia and Jan....and the amarula cheesecake

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Farfaraway1013
Waarschoot, Belgium
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was a wonderfull experience.
Perfect food, very kind staff. µ
Lovely stying in the middle of nowhere and still having everything you can want. Beautiful environment. A special thanks to Sonja and Jan for making us having a wonderfull 5 days !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

3 Thank Danny_Heynssens
Oud-turnhout, Belgium
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We've spent 7 days in the Casart Game Lodge three weeks ago and it was truly amazing.

Where do I begin !! First of all, the food is really good, Sonia is a wonderful cook and will surprise you every evening. I am really picky about my food and I've appreciated every single dish she prepared. For breakfast, there is a large choice: croissants, cereals, eggs,... My favourite were the French toasts ("wentelteefjes"), cooked to perfection by Jan!!

The rondavel in which we staid, was nicely decorated, more than clean, well equipped. It had a great veranda where you can sit or take a sunbath and watch the animals drinking at the water hole, a unique opportunity. There is also a big private jacuzzi where one can spend many hours relaxing...

We went on two game drives in the Grietjie Private Game Reserve and we were pleasantly surprised by the diversity of animals we saw. There were elephants, giraffes, hippos, wildebeests, velvet monkeys, zebra, impala, waterbuck, kudu,... There are also a lot of colorfull birds in the park. It was quite impressive!

Last but certainly not least, we really enjoyed the company and the kindness of the hosts/owners. Jan and Sonia are warm, kind people, they almost became like family to us. We felt like if we were "home" far away from home.
Words can not describe the cosy ambiance you feel while being at the Casart Game Lodge. Go there, you won't be disappointed!!! They do an amazing job in the South African bush.

PS: Jan en Sonia zijn schatten van mensen.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank KimSips
Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very nice staf and exellent food. The room were also comfortable and teh beds were very good. The lodge is a little bit away from the big road and it is a "bush-road" . But it is no problems is you take it slow

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

#1 of 5 in Grietjie Nature Reserve
Baluleni Safari Lodge
Baluleni Safari Lodge
#7 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve

Been to Casart Game Lodge? Share your experiences!