“We won't be back”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tawas City
Brant, Michigan
“We won't be back”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We just stayed two nights here, when we arrived we were impressed over the next two nights our minds were changed. The pool was freezing, the hot tub was more like a kind of warm tub. The breakfast was horrible, we used the toaster to toast a bagel, that seemed to be the best of the 4 options, bagels, bread or cereal.10 minutes later when it was just getting warm We decided to give up and go to big boy. We left for the day with our maid service please sign on the door and our room was never touched. After being woke up by children running up and down the hall calling the desk twice and nothing being done at 6:30 am we decided it was a waste of money and a paid vacation day from work so we packed up and left for home. Total bummer with the hotel, beautiful city though.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Harrisville, Michigan
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Me and three of my friends stayed the weekend and was so impressed with the accommodations. Great staff, food, rooms, clean pool, and hot tub. Looking forward to our next stay. Highly recommend to others

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Lapeer, Michigan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Rooms are spacious and clean and well appointed. The bed was very good and shower is hot quickly. All in all a great room. HOWEVER the hotel pays only lip service to having internet connection. It was up and down so I asked the lady on the front desk and was told that the general manager knows it's crummy and refuses to upgrade the system. Basically the quiet rooms at the back of the hotel get no signal so to get some signal you need to be in the middle of the hotel. Don't think that you will get online soon here, you will not and once online the system crashes quickly. This is a real shame since the rest of the hotel is great.

Room Tip: Avoid being near to the pool or at the back of the hotel away from the road if you need to use the i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Chosen 1
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have stayed in a number of pet friendly cabins in the area and found this to be far better. Basic and clean, with direct access to the outside for pet and a reasonable price. That is everything we want when traveling with our dogs.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank solanomaria
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 8 September 2013

DANGEROUS CHAIRS, STAFF NOT TRAINED IN CUSTOMER SERVICE. Nice rooms. Fantastic breakfast offerings. Many regular returning guests contributed to a family atmosphere. Everyone had nice things to say. My score is based on the lack of response from manager. A desk chair broke in our room and a plastic molded pool side chair collapsed beneath me. Hey I am average, weigh 150 and am 5'4'. A guest helping me said 2 chairs broke that week beneath her son. I gave the hotel a chance to say they'd replace their chairs, but no reply! My photo shows the stress point. I took pictures of all the chairs, they are all the same. BEWARE

Room Tip: if you expect to use wifi, be sure to get a room located closer to front desk. We were room 202 at t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GerrieLixey
jersey city, NJ
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was a clean, basic motel. It's not on the lake but close to it. My experience wasn't particularly memorable, but since I hesitated to book it based on reading various TripAdvisor disasters I figured I should note my disaster-free experience. No barking dogs, rampaging bikers or screaming children were encountered. I checked out Tawas City and East Tawas and most of the hotels aren't on Expedia. If you're adventurous and going during a non-peak time you can probably find a cheaper, smaller motel at the last minute.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Sheets were not changed on the second night because I had spilled chocolate on the sheet by accident on both beds. When I called the desk there was no help. I left my name and number for the manager to call. No call ever came so I called and he explained that sheets were not changed if you stay multiple nights. REALLY ! No sign anywhere, nothing. How is that acceptable. Guests have no idea. That is scummy. The manager was unapologetic. The sheets on the bed were obviously stained, you think a courtesy sheet change would have been done. Gene Kirvan the manager is worthless. This used to be a Days Inn franchise but it was dirty they lost it. Pool though is nice.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank legacychick
managerbit, Manager at Bay Inn Tawas, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Manager spoke to guest the following day regarding his complaint of sheets not being replaced. Guest was eating chocolate chip cookies in bed. Apparently while eating, some cookie crumbs fell into guest bed. Guest didn't pick up the crumbs and slept in the same bed. If guest had requested sheets to be replaced with front desk, housekeeping would have changed the sheets immediately.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tawas City
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
#7 of 10 in Oscoda
Huron House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Bay Inn Tawas? Share your experiences!