“A beautiful and peaceful retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Chateau Chantal Winery and Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Traverse City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

The best thing about my stay at Chateau Chantal was the peaceful, quiet setting. Old Mission Peninsula is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen - I loved exploring the peninsula and then coming back to the serenity of the B & B.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Nic36_13
There are newer reviews for Chateau Chantal Winery and Inn

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here for our anniversary trip the last 7 years in a row. Why? The view, the staff, serenity, gourmet breakfast, the rooms and more. If you want peace and serenity this is the place to go! If you are current or retired military ask about their special off season discount!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband booked us 2 nights in March for a Christmas present for me, he knows that I always have wanted to stay here. Well glad to say it did not disappoint! From the moment we walked in to the time we checked out everyone was smiling and helpful. Our room was one of the smaller rooms but still very large and had views of both bays (that's why I wanted that room) and the bathroom had a huge walk in shower with body jets, awesome! I am a late sleeper so my wonderful husband brought me breakfast in bed both days, they say breakfast is you snooze you lose but they have trays available to bring food back to your room and again the breakfast were to die for! We booked a couples massage in our room and it was incredible, so relaxing! Our favorite part though had to be the tour when we first checked in and being told that our key gets us into the tasting room and all the wine is left in the cooler or on the shelf behind the counter and you can help yourself to a tasting after hours and you can have one complimentary glass of wine after that. Then any wine you want to bring back to your room you just grab a bottle or two and take it with you, just write it on the sheet in your room. Plus they have cheese and sausage and olives and crackers in the fridge that you also can help yourself to, just write it on your list in your room and pay at checkout! We loved our little get away and hope to go back again in December for our anniversary!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We spent two nights here in early March, enjoyed a morning tour of the wine-making facilities, ate two marvelous breakfasts, explored both the Old Mission and Leelanau peninsulas, and ate at a couple of excellent restaurants. Everyone was very hospitable. It's a great destination for some time away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stopped on the recommendation of another winery, telling us how beautiful the views were from here. Which they were! We decided to go in and do a wine tasting. Not Impressed at all.
The lady conducting our tasting seemed to have a bit of a "superior" attitude towards us. Eventually it seemed as though she would rather conduct a tasting for the group that came in next to us, rather than finish ours.
We did not care for the wines here, but as with anything, this is only my experience and opinion. I was not impressed with this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 3 February 2014

It has always been a dream of mine to stay at our favorite winery and were privileged to spend two nights here last week in the middle of a big time Michigan snowstorm. We headed up from our home on Monday AM after hearing from the winery staff that they were pretty much snowed in and sending most of the employees home. Picked up food for supper and headed up the peninsula. We arrived around 3 PM and were checked in by the proprieter/ owner Bob. Stayed in the Monet Suite - beautiful, cozy, comfortable suite with a balcony facing the east bay. Enjoyed the jet tub in the large suite...comfortable king size bed...nice sitting area.
The common/breakfast area was beautiful and cozy with a crackling fire in the large fireplace. Nice area to just relax and meet other couples.
The winery stay includes after-hours tasting and a glass of wine - we are very familiar with your fabulous wines and thoroughly enjoyed this perk!
The breakfasts each morning were prepared by Bob and Nadine (owners). Delicious food and beautiful presentation right down to the fresh squeezed OJ in their champagne flutes. They are kind, considerate and generous hosts. Our tour of the winery with Bob was informative and very enjoyable. His passion for wine and his winery very evident!
The views once the sun came out the next morning are almost unparalleled. Able to see both bays, rolling hills covered with vineyards, and of course the gorgeous chateau!!
Anne took care of any of our needs and was accommodating and helpful.
I can not imagine a more wonderful place to have spent our winter getaway - this will probably be the first of many stays for us.
I highly recommend a trip up here!!

Room Tip: We peeked in at numerous other rooms - all beautiful with great views!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PamDoug
mcdalese, Owner at Chateau Chantal Winery and Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Greetings and thank you for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate hearing from you. It certainly has been a unique winter, but beautiful nevertheless. Thank you for braving the weather conditions and spending time with us, we're all pleased to hear it was so enjoyable and warm.
Cheers,
Marie-Chantal Dalese (Bob and Nadine's daughter)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you've never been here, the scenery is top notch for northern MI. It has a real Tuscany vibe- with the rolling hills, vineyards, cherry orchards, winding highway, the Bay visible in the distance, etc. And with Traverse City about a 10-15 min scenic drive away, you're still near the downtown life if that's part of your intent. I'll offer a snapshot of what to expect if you're interested in staying as a B&B guest, including some tips and advice. If you're interested in my service and hospitality opinions, including tasting room, skip toward the end of this review. Let it be clear I am NOT an employee nor do I have any financial interest, I am simply satisfied a repeat guest and I'm sharing why.

Bed & Breakfast info:
The property offers 11 rooms, one of which is a large apartment for groups of 4-6 which includes a full kitchen, private living room and fireplace, 2 separate bedrooms and baths. It would be worth it to split up as a group, especially since you could prepare your meals here.

The other 10 rooms are broken up between 6 Master Suites, which are 2-room suites with separate bedroom and living room, HD TVs, custom tile shower and/or jet tubs, and mini wet bar sink with fridge. 3 of these rooms are on the main B&B level (which is more like "downstairs"), and 3 are on the tasting room level, which seems more like what you'd call the "main level". The apartment and the Cassatt room are on the top level.

2 of the rooms are medium-sized, similar to a hotel room layout with living room & bedroom in one space and private bath....just with themed decor.

2 of the rooms are petite suites, small 2-room suites not nearly as spacious as the master suites. These rooms are located between the tasting room and the B&B guest-only great room/breakfast room. There's also a small workout room in this area.

All rooms have private bathrooms with showers, some have jet tubs some are only showers. All have great views!

Each night reserved in the B&B includes: one free glass of wine per guest, fancy breakfast in the morning which is much nicer than your typical hotel breakfast (strict hours for breakfast with a snooze-you-lose policy), unlimited access to the great room which includes a piano, comfy couch & chair, real fireplace w/ wood, games, newspapers, great views, and the chance to meet new people and socialize if that's your thing. Quite often the owners, Bob & Nadine Begin, are present during breakfast. Bob is often serving the orange juice to you, and has a genuine smile.

As a B&B guest you also have 24/7 after-hour access to the tasting room, including pour-your-own tastes, all wines for sale, etc on the honor system. It is assumed the caliber of guests staying here will be honorable and not abuse this privilege so it can stay in place for years to come. You're told you can grab any wines you like, open and enjoy, just let them know as you checkout and they ring you up then. It's a nice atmosphere of trust, this all lends to the feeling that you're an invited guest, family, not just a customer with a credit card (which of course you are, after all it is a business). Just much different than a typical hotel stay.

Coffee is available throughout most of the day in the breakfast room/great room. It's available before breakfast starts too if you're an early riser. And it's pretty good coffee too, not watery gas station coffee.

If privacy is your thing, you are not forced to socialize as at some B&Bs. Breakfast tables are scattered, like at a restaurant. Some are large, some are for couples. There are community restrooms if you don't want to go back to your room, but you still can retain the privacy of a hotel.

There are HD TVs in the rooms with cable, and there is wireless internet throughout. Most people just want to feel isolated, not actually BE isolated.

This isn't much of a place for young kids- no play place or anything. If you have young kids they're allowed though it may not be much fun for them. I guess it's assumed most know this when booking a room at a winery B&B.

Room tips:
The Lebasque Room is a medium-sized room, modernly decorated with a nice fresh color scheme, and is a corner room so has views of south and east. Queen bed. I believe it's a shower only, no tub.
The Van Gogh Master suite also has a nice modern color scheme. The Behrens is quite large, and is downstairs near the B&B check in desk. Both of these have king beds. Some of the other rooms have more of a Victorian(?) decor- older sofas with flower patterns, some being kind of dainty. If decor matters to you, I suggest visiting their website under the bed & breakfast tab, and viewing the pics. Each room has its own name and its own theme decor. The Chateau only serves breakfast. No lunch, no dinner. (Unless you purchase a special wine dinner ticket, but that's different entirely). If you're not wanting to head into town for food I'd suggest bringing sandwich food or similar. There are mini fridges in the rooms but no microwaves. There are a couple restaurants on the peninsula, one is $$$ (Boathouse, Bowers Harbor) and one is $$ (Mission Grille). Otherwise you'll need to eat in town.
Best of all, during winter months (Jan-March) midweek stays are Buy One Get One free. Check in Sunday through Weds gets you a second night free. Your free night cannot be a Fri night. With the included wine and breakfast, this is far better than any deal in town for a winter midweek stay.

Service:
All staff meets you with a smile when passing. The housekeeping staff are always friendly and seem to enjoy working there. The tasting room staff, while some have more cut-n-dry factual personalities and some are more chatty, are all knowledgeable and willing to answer any question you have and to make suggestions. Bill, the tasting room manager, is one of the best customer service personalities out there. If he's not preoccupied, or even if he is, he'll take the time to help you out or explain the wines or show you places back in the city and recommend things according to your needs, he even spent time showing us a TC map and circling different places he recommends. He's hilarious too, ask him to do his Chris Farley impression! We met another Bill, an older gentleman, who was also one of the nicest guys. We sampled wine and just shot the breeze with him for about half an hour. After 5 minutes it felt like we'd known him for years. Same with funny manager Bill.

One caveat: As a B&B guest, you're allowed to purchase wine and open it and enjoy it in the tasting room or on the large scenic patio. If you're visiting for the day (not a B&B guest) you cannot open any purchased bottles of wine on the premises. As a day visitor you can only buy wine by the glass to enjoy there. This seems odd but it's part of the local law. Yes, it's government legislation hard at work, it's NOT the Chateau's crazy rule. So be advised.

I've read reviews where some have felt the tasting room staff were rushed, rude, or otherwise impersonable. I've been coming here for nearly 10 years off & on, and I must stress this HAS to be completely circumstantial. Never have my wife and I got that impression. Perhaps when it's crazy busy there's a tendency to not exclude anyone, and therefore common sense dictates the staff must be quicker so as to accommodate all the guests. But never has anyone been even SLIGHTLY rude to us. I suppose if you are a snobby or rude customer, you may find yourself low on their priority list. Perhaps this could be the experience of a few.

An interesting story:
In a decade I've yet to experience anything negative here other than weather. To illustrate, last winter (early 2013) my wife & I stayed and we had a doozy of a snowstorm. My tires on my car were less than adequate and I couldn't make it up the hill in the driveway! It was terrible. Lucky for us our friends in a 4x4 pickup were up there with us and fetched us. I left my car down by the entrance sign all night. I had my flashers on so no one ran into it in the blizzard. The next morning my battery was dead (as expected). Bob Begin (owner), at breakfast, heard my wife and I talking about it and he offered to give me a ride to my car to jump me. He even got out while I was wrestling with cables and started cleaning the snow off my car for me. THAT'S hospitality! That's memorable. That's the Chateau Chantal.

I hope you find this insightful and can give them a try if you're looking for a memorable night or two. Cheers!

Room Tip: View the pics online at their website if decor matters to you- some are old fashioned and "dain...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Huskee
mcdalese, Owner at Chateau Chantal Winery and Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Greetings!
Wow, the staff and I can't thank you enough for your wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for providing accurate details concerning your experience here. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us, as always. I'll be sure to let Bob (my Dad) know of your feedback as well.
With gratitude,