“Great experience! Awesome with young kids.”

Tall Ship Manitou - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us aboard the 114' SCHOONER MANITOU as we ply the sparkling waters of Grand Traverse Bay. Sailing out of Traverse City, MI, Manitou offers three two hour sails per day as well as an adventurous "Floating Bed and Breakfast" package.
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have always wanted to go on an old wooden sailboat like this! It did not disappoint! We took my 2.5 year old twins and 5 year old and they LOVED it!! We did the ice cream sail which was delicious and obviously a hit with the kids. The cocktails available for purchase were very reasonable and tasty on a hot day. My 5 yr old thought the captain was a real pirate. We lucked out with perfect weather in mid-August. The staff were laid back, friendly and very alert. Overall a great experience that I can check off my bucket list! Just booked our vacation for this year and we are definitely going to do this again!

2  Thank jlefief

Reviewed 4 January 2014

It's always a FUN FUN time sailing on Grand Traverse Bay. Each adventure is a new one from the Smiling Captain Brendan to first Mate Corey who picks up a fiddle and starts playing amazing music. Kids and adults can pretend they are pirates, hoist the sales or ask the Captain what are those fuzzy things up in the rigging. We had a beautiful day with bright blue skies and a nice wind and darted through the waves and back and forth across the bay. Great view of the skyline of the city, and picking out the houses along the shore or dotted among the hills. Beverages are available for purchase. If there are kids who love ice-cream (or adults for that matter), sign up to sail on one of the Moomers' Ice-cream sails. YUMMmmmm.

1  Thank MIRockHunter
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We will always remember the Manitou ship we enjoyed towards the tail end of our 1-year wedding anniversary trip to TC. Friendly folks. Staff that play the violin with heavenly finesse. Some ice cream (or lunch depending on what you sign up for), and a fair price. This is a nice activity, especially towards the end of your trip. Very relaxing and also really cool to check the ship out. My wife and I chatted with a few folks, bought a couple beers and wines, and just enjoyed the scenery cruising in the Traverse City bay. Just a heads up that you park across the street from where you board, and get on a bus they provide, which is essentially there to help you cross the street. For young couples this may seem a hassle, but for families with small children, this ends up being a nice feature. There is nothing exhilarating about this ride, but it does make for a quiet, peaceful, scenic ride on the bay in what is probably one of the most classic and tallest sailboats to still cruise around here. Two thumbs up!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Last time I was in Traverse City two years ago, with my son, we took an afternoon sail aboard the Manitou. It was a beautiful afternoon with a strong wind, less than capacity crowd, and an adventurous captain as we sailed fast and far out into the bay. It was an excellent adventure to say the least.
This time while visiting the area with my daughter I was hoping to relive the experience, but the only time we had available was Wednesday evening when they have the "entertainment" package. The experience was a disappointment to say the least. Though the wind was again strong (cold front moving in an the other smaller sail boats had hard time not capsizing), we never went farther north than the dock nor fast enough to excited about; in fact they never raised the middle sail. I suspect this was due to the fact that their "entertainment" (an older trio of folk singers) used the middle of the boat for their act. It was nice for my daughter to experience the ship, but she was bewildered as to why I would spend the money and time for such a mediocre experience. I guess I am too.

2  Thank William S
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We went on the wine sunset cruise with my 87-year-old mother-in-law. The weather was perfect, and we sailed about two hours around Grand Traverse Bay. Tickets were $60 each. We were never near the shore, and so the scenery was water and water (with a few boats). Though you could go inside, most or all of us sat on bench-like structures on the deck. The food was nice, and suitable to buffet presentation. We had hummus, babaganoush, baked brie in pastry, dolma, a ground lamb and rice dish, finished with brownies & lemon bars. Everything was served at the right temperature and tasty. We had 6 or 7 types of Leelanau Cellars wines to taste. I preferred the three dry wines, but I overheard others who preferred the sweet. There was some visual drama as the sails were raised and lowered, but everything was very well-run. The crew was likable and very helpful with my mother-in-law's walking & vision challenges. Passengers were allowed to take the wheel. Spirits seemed good. A few passengers stayed the night on the B&B plan.

2  Thank David_B_of_Michigan