“Newly Renovated”

Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Middlebury, Indiana
“Newly Renovated”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We travel frequently to Interlochen Arts Academy and need an inexpensive but clean hotel. This hotel is all the way downtown in Traverse City and adds a longer commute to IAA; however, it is the most affordable hotel we have found that also is very clean. Having been recently renovated, the rooms have nice granite countertops and a huge shower. Beds are clean and very comfortable. Carpets are also clean. Service is friendly and helpful. Desk staff know us by name now, and warmly welcome us each time we visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TammyLT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Cheboygan, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 February 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in TC please take my advice and book a room at the Howard Johnson. I travel about 120 days out of the year and I have slept in numerous hotels, motel s and airports. I confidently recommend this hotel to you because of the extremely clean and updated rooms, extraordinary customer service and very low price. For about $40 to $60 US dollars you can either choose a DBL Queen, King or Jacuzzi Room. This is the best deal in TC I promise you. The proprietor is constantly on site looking to improve the quality of the experience, trust me this place is a GEM both for the eye and your wallet.

JDEBECK

Room Tip: Super Fast WIFI
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Jason D
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 6 February 2012

When I arrived at check in I was surprised by the wonderful lobby, very spacious including a fireplace & furniture. Staff was very friendly & helpful if I asked for anything. My room was very clean, spacious & new. The price was great & location to the downtown area was only a couple of miles away-nice. I definitely recomment this motel & will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Lsleahy
Michigan
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I haven't stayed at a Howard Johnson for many years because I had the impression that their motels were old and rundown. Well, not this one! My husband spent several weeks in the hospital recently, and I was driving 60 miles round trip every day to be with him. One night the weather was so bad that I decided to stay overnight in Traverse City. I went online to look for a hotel and decided to try Howard Johnson because of the great price, which included breakfast. I enjoyed it so much that I stayed 3 more times. Whenever the roads were "iffy", I gave them a call and reserved a room. Every staff member I met was just wonderful--so friendly and helpful. The rooms are a nice size, well-lit, and very clean, with plenty of towels and free WiFi. The breakfast has a good variety of food (cereal, bagels, etc.), hot drinks, and juice. I feel like I found a terrific bargain!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Lilosa
Caldwell, Idaho
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Our stay at HJ in Traverse City was wonderful. Our room was reasonably priced, spacious, clean and included Coffee and breakfast. If we are ever in Traverse City and need a room we'll check with Howard first.

Room Tip: week days are more affordable than weekends.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank baruke36
Tecumseh, Michigan
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Very good bang for your buck. Clean rooms, nice bed and shower. Nice staff. Would stay again. Breakfast only consisted of bagels, cereal, and doughnuts

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank ajcox12
Toronto
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We were told that they were overcharging their customers because of demand that evening and wanted $224 for one a one night stay.

The clerk told us that a price reduction would be approved by management and asked us to wait, as he would be back in a few minutes. We waited and waited and waited… Management never arrived and there was no attempt by the desk clerk to establish contact. When I stated my concerns, the clerk’s demeanor changed as she crudely asked us to leave. I contacted customer service and during my telephone conversation with the representative, the clerk persistently yelled at me from across the lobby. Among other things, she yelled that the room was no longer available, and at one point, threatened to notify the police. Is it policy to notify police when a customer is placing a telephone call with customer care? We were treated like criminals and don’t wish for this to happen to anybody else. This stop was supposed to be part of our anniversary getaway.

We later attempted to raise the issue with Head Office, who simply told us that this is a privately owned location and that nothing could be done for our case. The are several terrible reviews on this Howard Johnson, and we paid the price for not informing ourselves first. Don’t make the same mistake we made.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank 2travelers_mp
howardjohnsontc, General Manager at Howard Johnson of Traverse City, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Management Team Response

This review was completed by an individual who did not stay with us on the night in question. The hotel, and the Traverse City area in general, was full on that night, and had been for days in advance. All the statements in this review are completely untrue.

This reviewer became highly agitated when told of the no availability of a room. As he became more agitated, he displayed rude and discourteous behavior towards our guest service agent, which caused her to become uncomfortable with the situation. The reviewer also stated that the clerk did not attempt to make contact with management. This is not true as the General Manager was on-duty that evening, and was notified by the guest service agent to respond to the lobby. The General Manager did make contact with this reviewer at that time, however, his demeanor and attitude towards the manager was not acceptable, and the General Manager asked him to leave the property to find other accommodations.

In the review, it was stated that the reviewer was told we were overcharging on that evening. The rate he listed ($224) was never given him. We did not quote a rate because we had no rooms available.

The Management Team was contacted by the corporate office, and we did issue a written response to the reviewer stating the facts of the situation. However, this reviewer continued to demand compensation, despite there being no rooms available for the night and his conduct during the interaction with our desk agents.

No member of our team takes these situations lightly. However, when the person inquiring into the availability of a room becomes discourteous and displays behavior that is threatening towards hotel personnel, they are immediately asked to leave the property for the safety of all involved. This incident feel into those parameters, and the actions of the reviewer left no choice but for us to either have him leave the property on his own or call law enforcement to help with the situation.

Travellers are raving about these Traverse City hotels