“Enjoyed the Food and the Music.”
Review of Phil's On Front - CLOSED

Phil's On Front
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 October 2013

At our hotel's recommendation, we went to Phil's on Front for a weekday dinner. We secured a parking space right out front and were able to get a table without a reservation. We had a thoroughly enjoyable meal and the musical entertainment made the evening better!
We started with drinks, an excellent white peach sangria and a potent "Power Island Ice Tea" with vodka and cranberry juice. We shared a pulled pork and cheese quesadilla as an appetizer, before moving on to entrees. The broiled lake snapper was first-rate, enhanced by a superb corn relish. The veal meatloaf with mashed potatoes and vegetables was what I wanted that night: well-prepared midwest comfort food. We shared a large slice of chocolate raspberry mousse cake, rich and dense with lots of dark chocolate pieces.
A small band played several sets while we ate. We thought it had an excellent range, with selections ranging from 1960s Dylan and Lennon/McCartney to more contemporary tunes. It turns out that this was not an established band; Phil had booked the lead singer, who then simply invited some friends to join and accompany him. They should consider working together more often!
We also had a chance to meet "Phil," who had finished cooking for the night and was watching as the set concluded. He told us he had cooked at high-end hotels back east before coming to Traverse and opening his own restaurant..A very good choice!
We were in Northern Michigan 10 days and this was our best overall dining experience.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This was our first dinner in Traverse City and we were thoroughly impressed. If we lived closer I can see Phil's being a regular favorite. I love that everything is made with fresh local ingredients. Excellent!

1  Thank Dbaxl
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were advised by the hotel staff to give Phil's a try, and were very happy. I tried to make a reservation earlier in the week and was advised that they only accepted them for parties of 5 or more. She also said that they had had no issues with this way of managing the place. When we got there, we had to wait maybe 5 minutes for table to come open. The waitress was quite knowledgeable about the various items, including the specials. I had the tenderloin special while my wife had the rainbow trout stuffed with crab. We both enjoyed the meal very much. My meat was rare, as I had asked for, and melted in my mouth. My wife loved the rainbow trout. We will be returning.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We arrived at 6pm and the restaurant was packed soon after we were seated, so we expected great quality food. Looking at the menu we were a bit disappointed with the options as they were pretty "fancy" even for high end restaurants. We ended up with calamari fries for $9, a New York Strip for $21, and crab cakes for $19, and a glass of wine for $8. The calamari was flavorless and looked like fries from Wendy's rather than like any calamari I have ever had. All I could taste was the salt on the calamari and not the calamari itself. The New York Strip had lots of fat around the edges and was very tough. I did order it well done, and they succeeded in getting all the pink out which is rare, but it was one of the toughest steaks I have ever had even considering I always have them well done. They also gave me a very dull (as in I could have let my two year old run his finger over the blade with no fear of getting cut) steak knife which added to my difficulty in eating it. The crab cake was ok, but it was one cake, not two like you are typically served. Our total bill ended up being over $60, and we could have gotten a far better meal at the Texas Roadhouse for $20. We will not be returning to this restaurant.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was our first visit to Phil's. They have a great Tuesday special (at least at the time of this writing) which is two entrees plus a bottle of wine for $50.00 I had the Wagyu Beef Sirloin and it was delicious. I ordered it medium rare and that's exactly how it arrived. My wife had the Alaska Silver Salmon and enjoyed that with the accompanying ratatouille which she said was comparable to the last ratatouille she had which was in France. The wine was a nice red and we took what was left home since they can re-cork. Our server knew her stuff when presented with questions. We got a nice thank you on the way out from a person I assumed to be Phil himself. The restaurant was smaller than I'd imagined but you could watch the chefs at work. Traverse City offers many fine dining options and this certainly is one of those.