“Bad Room, Worse Service”

Knights Inn Traverse City
Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Bad Room, Worse Service”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I rented 2 rooms on July 13th. The rooms were expensive because of the time of year. The room accommodations were fair at best. One room had no working AC. There were no rooms to move to. The desk clerk promised on checkout we would be compensated but a manager would have to approve it. In three weeks and multiple promises for a call back, no one has ever retuned my calls. Even Wyndham Resorts customer service has failed to act. I recommend avoiding this Hotel. Problems are not resolved and they do not care.

Room Tip: If you value customer service and honesty, don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BC2196

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed 2 nights here, then decided to return for a third night later on in the week. Our first room, upstairs, next to the pool, was good--large enough, clean enough--nothing to rave about, but obviously nice enough that we decided to return. After the first night the cleaning staff gave us fresh towels, but did not make the bed, dump the trash, clean the sinks. Since this was "our own dirt" it really didn't bother us--but this is not a good sign. Breakfast was very basic. The return visit we were given a different room that was again OK, but we never had that "spotlessly clean" feeling. Both of our rooms were very quiet, and the pool was very nice and clean. As far as the front desk staff...two were very nice, one seemed to tired to care. There was a "help wanted" sign out front..perhaps this motel is simply short staffed. The room rate was very good. So the entire experience was OK, nothing more. Since room rates in Traverse City tend to be high, you could consider this place if the room rates are more in your budget. If you can pay a little more, I would pick a different motel. I was tempted to give it an "average" rating, as I said, we did return, but it seems like the management needs to insist on higher standards . After the second stay, I will pick a different motel next time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kjoann
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Don't stay here - we booked a room at regular price - they put us in a large "closet" with no windows, no desk, no table to sit at, and the sink is in the sleeping area. When we asked to be moved, they did not want to do anything and pretended the manager was going to call us - of course he never did and was unreachable. They tried to say that this would constitute a "regular" room - which is absolutely bizarre. Furthermore, when we complained afterwards to Expedia and Expedia called the Inn, the employees at the Knights Inn hung up on Expedia and the manager once again was unreachable. Whatever you pay at the Knight's Inn Traverse City is not worth the money - go somewhere else. There's service for you!! You will also see a very similar complaint from another traveller who stayed at this Inn - so our experience was not isolated. .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TennizGirl13
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2013

It would perhaps have been acceptable if the prices here were similar to those at e.g. Motel 6, but they were markedly higher, so we were expecting better.

When we tried to check in, we were made to pay an additional $40, even though we had already made payment when we booked online. The reason given was that the online booking website made a mistake and should have charged us more than what we were charged, given the number of people we had in each room ($10 more per person per night for extra people). You should therefore be aware that you may be made to pay more when you actually check in. The man at the counter was also very unpleasant and this definitely dampened our mood.

The only reason why Knights Inn can charge more than say other low end motels is the fact that there is breakfast. However, the breakfast is quite miserable and consists mostly of sugar. You will be happier if you stayed at a low end motel instead and used the money saved on breakfast elsewhere.

The room itself was also not clean and very darkly lit. The wifi was non-existent.

Room Tip: Just don't.
Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris K
Attica, Michigan
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I needed a quick overnight last minute in Traverse City. As this is a resort location I was down to very few choices. Knights Inn traditionally is NOT where I want to stay. For the most part they are below average for my taste. However when I read TripAdvisor and saw several favorable comments I thought I would take a chance. I was very surprised to find this property comfortable and updated. The bed and towels seemed new, the bathroom was new and same with the carpet. The room was still a bit dated overall with cookie cutter fixtures but sported a flat screen TV. I guess I would stay there again, not a bad place, price was right and I got what I paid for. Again I prefer not to do the Knights Inn deal but this was an exception and my wife who is harder to please than me had not complaints.

Room Tip: Ask to not be under the stairs, I was right where people walked up and down all night and this was d...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James P
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is the third summer in a row that we have stayed at this facility, it is most likely the last. The price that we were quoted when making the reservation was different then the price once we got there. We paid about $15 more total for two rooms, not a major increase, but definitely higher.

We had a gigantic, newly remodeled room, and while there is a great deal of open space, there is not a table or desk. Instead, there is a dresser with a flat screen on top, one small love seat, two bedside tables and one small stuffed chair. There is no place to set your laptop or sit and eat a snack.

The Wi-Fi signal is almost non-existent, I can barely pick up one bar or my MacBook, it is literally a throwback to dial up. When I asked at the desk, "where are the routers" the clerk responded that they were in the middle of a rather long building. My room was at the end directly above the office. By going down to the office, I was able to get two bars, which again is barely useable. I complained and was told that it was because so many people were using it at one time. Well it is now 4:30AM and I suspect that there may be one or two others up at this hour using their computers. But I do not believe that two or three people online at the same time is causing these slow dial-up like speeds. Don't expect to have usable internet at this facility.

Breakfast was disappointing. Cold cereal, yogurt, juice, pastries, and coffee. Many facilities now offer scrambled eggs, waffles, oatmeal, etc. but the pickings here are very limited.

One last gotcha. As I mentioned, this room, #211, appears to have been recently remodeled. The bath tub removed and a floor to ceiling tile shower put into it's place. It is beautiful. The toilet is in the same room with the shower but the sink is outside of the bathroom and sits in full view of the living area. The linens are all stored above the toilet, but there are not any towel racks anywhere. There is no place to hang linens. This is either very short sighted or an attempt to save a few dollars by not providing racks.

We will not return here in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms towards the end of each building as the wi-fi routers are supposedly in the middle of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles218
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We visit the Traverse area a couple times a year, and this was our first stay at the Knights Inn. We were there on a Sunday through Tuesday and the room rates were very reasonable. Our room was clean and the AC worked fine. The flowers blooming along that exterior hallway was a very nice touch. The staff & cleaning crew always greeted us with a smile & asked us how our stay was. We will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple