“2 1/2 stars, between poor & average, but they try hard”

Knights Inn Traverse City
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 10 January 2014

After two separate stays, I must be honest and say that our second stay (Oct '13) was much worse than the first (Feb '13). I too, like you, had read the reviews and was surprised to find how highly this place was rated, since Knights Inns are generally known to be dives. This place tries hard, I'll give 'em that...but it's still a classic Knights Inn. And since BOTH times I stayed, once in the middle of winter (literally- February) and once in prime fall color time, my price was $99 each time for a 2-queen room (king rooms were gone). It's just my wife and I so no big deal, there's an extra unused bed big deal, we'll take it.

The first trip there, last Feb, the lobby was very nice, very clean and looked to be something more than you'd expect. However, our room smelled STRONGLY of some type of cleaner or air freshener, and not the pleasing Febreeze type, it was rancid, like a strong smell of cheap soap or something. So strong that, even though we got used to it after 3 or 4 hours, our clothes smelled like it when we got home and we opened our suitcases. But, the room was clean and had a nice new TV. Just that overpowering smell that I've never smelled in a hotel room before. We wondered if someone had smoked in the room against the rules, and so they had to douse it before our arrival.

Our second stay, in Oct, the exact same thing happened. It was a different room, but same strangely familiar rancid overpowering cleaner smell. We were quite surprised by this since we were sure it was a fluke with our first stay, and I've never read anyone complaining about this. But sure enough it was there again, for all I know each room has this smell... This time though, even though the room itself was decently clean, the bathroom had a long hair on the floor. No big deal for me hair doesn't gross me out, everyone has it and everyone sheds it...but my wife didn't like seeing it. The fan was a single vent at the top of the wall and was annoyingly noisy. It sounded as if it were going to break any minute. But in order to heat the room we had to keep it on. It didn't have the unit on the floor you'd expect to see in a motel room- it had a thermostat on the wall and a vent at the top of the bed/bath interior separating wall. And it was ridiculously noisy. And after another night in a 2-queen room for $99, that smelled, the morning shower was met with a clogged drain. I took a shower after my wife and stood in a couple inches of water, and by the time I was done there was 3 or 4 inches. That is kind of gross. BUT.. it happens, I understand things happen. I mentioned it to the manager after we checked out and she was rather nonchalant with her "Oh, really?, Ok, thanks for letting us know". I would've thought at the very least an apology. But no.

We never ate the breakfast, breads and grains aren't our cup of tea. One thing I did try to do in the lobby was log into my email and print something, but low and behold they have no customer computer or printer. So the one thing I needed to do in the lobby, I couldn't do. Oh well such is life.

All in all, had I paid $60 for the 2-queen room, I'd be ok with what I received. But at $99 + taxes, for what I received, this will be the last review I write of this place because I wont be back. I gave it two shots. There are sooooo many better hotels/motels in this town to get a room for a hundred bucks in the middle of winter for me to deal with at the very least another rancid air freshener smell and a clogged drain and a lack of a rather common customer convenience in the lobby.

Room Tip: If you get a room that reeks of cleaner, don't deal with it like I did- complain and ask for ano...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Huskee

Reviewed 9 January 2014

For just under $50 a night this was a great place to stay. We would stay here again. Our room was maintained well every day (stayed 4 days). Outdoor pool, so no winter swimming. Breakfast was light, but meet our needs for the price paid.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here with the wife for a couple nights last summer. You pretty much know what you're going to get when you stay at a place like this. The room was clean, serviceable and affordable. The motel is not in the center of town but it's a very close drive to everything you would need. We had no complaints and it seems like a good deal for the area. If you're looking for an affordable spot to stay out here and you don't care about lodging ambiance or character then this is a good pick.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the road if possible. Traffic can be surprisingly loud out there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We wanted to go to Traverse City to eat lots of good food for our 6-year wedding anniversary this winter, but wanted to save money on lodging so that we could spend more eating at nice restaurants and doing other things. Knights Inn was perfect for what we wanted. The location was close to everything - downtown, the shopping malls, the bay, etc. Our room looked and smelled very clean when we checked in and the furniture seemed relatively updated as well. We enjoyed the continental breakfast - it was simple but still had lots of options - and the eating area was also very clean and felt relatively updated. I marveled the entire time that we were able to pay so little for such a clean, nice place that even included amenities like continental breakfast, wireless internet, and cable TV on a flat screen in the room. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone looking
for a good value on a clean place with a friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed at the Knights Inn prior to an early flight out of Traverse City. There were no coffee makers in the room and office was closed until 7am. TVC has multiple flights that leave early. Also, couldn't get a wifi signal unless I stood at the window. Called the front desk and they said no other complaints with not getting a signal. The room was very clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have stayed here several times and am always impressed at value I get here. The rooms are great and the price is almost to low. Keep up the good work! They also own the Howard Johnson in TC that I have stayed at and is equally as nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Normally when visiting TC we stay at the Days Inn, but this year it had apparently dropped out of the franchise and so we chose to stay at the Knight's Inn which was the hotel practically next door to the old Days Inn so we kind-of knew the area

The hotel is located about 2-miles out of the main centre of TC, handy if you're planning on travelling further up the MI peninsular or visiting the vineyards of TC. It's not so handy if you want to spend a night in TC as you'll need to take your car into town with you

The price for the hotel was quite reasonable, certainly on the lower side of TC's accommodation, and for the price the room was good, it was clean, the beds were comfortable & the sheets were laundered which it pretty much all you really need for a couple of nights stay

Didn't have any problems with Wifi, though we were located about as far away from the front office as you could get, picked up the signal straight away on all my devices and never lost it thoughout, speed seems to have been adequate and certainly fast enough for me to VPN into work

The TV was fine, our remote was missing the back and the batteries were pretty weak that we had to be close to the set in-order to change channel. As for blurry pictures I guess local TC stations haven't switched to HD, as it was only apparent on the local channels, the cable channels were fine

Breakfast was adequate at best, just plain bagels, cereals and fruit juice, but it was enough to get the day started

We stopped in late October so can't comment on the quality of the pool, nor the heating or air conditioning

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple