“unacceptable customer service”

Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Midland, Michigan
“unacceptable customer service”
Reviewed 9 December 2010

" ‎5 stars for cleanliness and location. ZERO stars for customer service!!! We made reservations on October 21 to stay in the cabin from Thanksgiving day, the 25th, till Saturday, the 27th. We needed a full kitchen and a pet friendly place. We had a cooler full of food to cook. My son is in the culinary program at NWM. He had a m...enu for us he was going to cook for us. Everything seemed perfect until we arrived.

We arrived 1 hour early. We asked for an early check in so we could start cooking. The person at the front desk told us "sorry we gave your reservations away" WHAT? We just drove 2.5 hours and we never even got a courtesy call about this dilema? The person at the front desk offered us 2 other rooms, with no kitchens, at the same price or a refund and we could find another place to stay. Really? on Thanksgiving day you want us to find another place that has a kitchen and welcomes pets? We had no choice.

I spoke to the front desk the next morning about this situation and asked what happened. The front dest told me that a family had come in from out of town and it was an emergency so the owners decided to put them in the cabin WE reserved and told the front desk person we would be better off in the two other rooms.

This was totally unacceptable and we had no choice but to stay. Being with my family eating pizza and chinese food on Thanksgiving was more important than cooking BUT I will never, ever reccomend this place to any of my friends or family.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kyjj123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Plymouth, mi
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We had to plan last minute to find a room while on a Holiday weekend with an event in Traverse City going on so many hotels were sold out. The people who run the Inn were extremely nice and the room was very clean but was very tiny. We had to take a smoking room since there was nothing else (even being smokers the room stunk). The sheets were like sandpaper and you could hear all the traffic on the road. We were trying to be cheap and save a buck because my husband just had to go up for the afternoon to meet a potential client, I wish we would of spent the extra $30 and stayed at a nicer hotel. We ended up going to bed early and getting up early and not even using the shower, thought it would be more of an inconvenience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank sunshine20269
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I absolutely adore Mitchell Creek Inn. My friends and I have stayed at this motel upwards of a dozen times, and we have already made our reservations for summer 2010. If you want a chain with a lot of amenities, then it isn't for you. You won't find upscale, chic, and classy here. What you will find is a clean, pleasant stay at a quiet laid-back inn. The motel sits on the main drag just to the east of Traverse City - about 3 miles out maybe. It is *directly* across from the State Park and beach. There is a crossing light at the corner which makes the 3 minute walk to the beach easy.

The rooms are clean and cozy; some might describe them as small, but I think they are fine. My companions and I are very comfortable. We stay in the kitchenette and cabins, so I have not personally been in the smaller room. There are no phones, so bring your cell. But honestly, how many people don't have cell phones now... There are a number of restaurants in the area that will deliver (but that's another review). They will allow pets and do provide internet access. The rooms do have cable television. The beds are very comfortable and fresh.

The owners are sooooo nice and very kind and helpful. The rates are quite reasonable for the touristy location. While the rooms themselves are close the main road (I don't think the noise is bad), there is a beautiful woodsy area with Mitchell Creek running through it at the back of the property. They have a gazebo area and fire pit with comfy Adirondack chairs. I can't tell you how many evenings I've sat back there with friends, the owners, and other guests enjoying drinks and the fire.

Though simple, your basics are covered. I've *never* had a "ugh" moment at this motel. The atmosphere is very cabin or cottage like - simple but homey. Love this place!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Fowlerville, Michigan
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Over the summer some colleges and I stayed at The Mitchell. The service was great. Very friendly and personal. The rooms were clean, comfortable and accommodating. No stairs or long walks from your parking spot. Also, there is a leisure area behind the inn with a creek, (and although i didn't get the chance to see it i heard the salmon are amazing in the fall.) grilling area and fire pit. The Mitchell is pet friendly, with the owners do (digger) on site. The Inn is close to town (only about 3 miles) and right across the street from the beach. Overall we had an amazing trip, and plan to go back soon!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank meghangennette
Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Vey nice little mom and pop Inn, Exactly what I was looking for, a nice little up north place.If you are looking for a chain hotel you can find everywhere then this might not be your place. But if you are looking for a nice up north location this is the place for you. It is pet friendly which is a huge plus, there is a creek running through the property and it is right across the (busy) street from the state park. I mention busy street because it is, but that wa no problem for us and there is a light to cross the street. It is in a good location, not too far from toiwn. You will need to drive there but you will need to at most locations.It is not right on the water, but it is just across the street. The owner is very friendly and personal, she made the stay even nicer. They also have free internet.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends