“Disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Harold's Resort at Spider Lake
Delaware, Ohio
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Please understand that the pictures you see are not the resort you get. First I will state a positive....Spider Lake is a lovely lake and this property could be awesome. Now reality. This place has not been touched from a maintenance perspective in years. Paint is peeling from cabins, the windows have peeling paint and no spackling, and the interior of the cabins, while once cute I am sure, are now very dated, worn, and lacking any type of amenity. Very few kitchen items to assist in cooking, and you have to bring everything you need for bed and bath. There is a community fire pit as the literature describes, but no wood provided for us to use and enjoy. When asked about wood, I was told to burn whatever we could find. Really....1100.00 and no firewood pre-cut or at least available to split?. Ridiculous. Rented a pontoon...one of 4 that we were told were available the week before in literature. When we got there...there was one...and it broke down when we used it. We had to be towed in. I had called the owners to come get us at 2:00....we heard from them at 10:00 PM.....glad I was able to get someone to assist us because we would have still been out there 8 hours later if left to owners. The sandy beach.....well....it is sandy...but full of cigarette butts, water bottle tops, other buried treasures, and ants. It has not been cleaned or raked in I can't imagine how long. So...the takeaway is, this will be the last we will be taken by Harold's Resort....and it is too bad because it could be lovely with some elbow grease and desire.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris C
haroldsresort, Owner at Harold's Resort at Spider Lake, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Quiet, Private and Secluded - at the end of the road, off the highway, in the woods and on the lake, Seven real log cabins built in the late 1940's with a rustic 'retro" feeling - located on a sandy private peninsula. Circa 1950 - the cabins are rustic in the sense there are no TV's, no Microwaves and no A/C. They all have an equipped kitchen, comfy beds, a screened in porch, ceiling fans, your own water heater with hot and cold running water and indoor plumbing too ! Some of the cabins are located on the point of our private peninsula and have lake views from every window. There is no substitute for location - a Sandy Peninsula, Pere Marquette State Forest, surrounded by Spider Lake on 3 sides, hearing the fish jump, the loons call, the wood peckers peck, the waves lapping at the shore, the children splashing.. the simple things is what's it's all about at Harolds Resort. We understand this place is not for everyone, no paved sidewalks, no green lawn, no activities director and that's OK - there are plenty of condo units in town where you can have all that - but there is only one Harolds Resort - reserved for the guests who want the real up north.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Detroit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My girlfriend prodded me into taking a vacation during the time that she was off work. She works for a school system, so we found ourselves leaving town during Presidents' Day weekend. I left all of the planning up to her; she said that she found a cute little place for us to stay up north, and, for what it was worth, I was excited.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and pulled up to our new home for the weekend. I found it hard to keep my mouth shut: I asked her if 'that was the shipping container that we'd be sleeping in.'

Oh my, how I was wrong. Yes, the cabin looks tiny and metal on the outside. It's far from that once approached. As I walked up to the door, my apprehension turned to absolute delight.

We walked in to our adorable little weekend home and settled in. Harold's Resort Cabin #6 has a delightfully cozy bed (I'm pretty sure they put pillows under the sheets, because I've never slept so soundly) a cute little kitchen with gas stoves (I don't even have gas stoves at home!) and adorable decorations everywhere. There's a gas fireplace that keeps the place toasty-warm at all times, too!

We spent the long weekend here, exploring traverse city, snowboarding at Caberfae, hiking through the northern wilderness, and just enjoying our time together.

I would recommend this trip to anyone wanting to get close to their significant other. It is absolutely beautiful up there; so much so that it defies words. Kathy is amazing, and responded immediately to our inquiries.

I could not have imagined a more perfect vacation. I can't wait to stay there again.

-Kevin V. and Mary L.

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is great for couples!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kilovictordelta
Yes this is our "Cute and Adorable" LITTLE Studio ! It has everything you need, it's Just SMALL. Just right for those who want to save on accommodations so they can splurge on dinner and/or local wine ! So It may be hard to picture so much cute-ness in one small space, it' has 1 full size bed, a gas fireplace that keeps the cabin cozy warm, a little kitchen and little bath w/shower. In season each cabin has a row boat, picnic table and weber grill too. In the off season, the bed is made with super comfy linens, comforters and such - personalized to the season and occasion. Yes we have larger cabins and cabins with hot tubs - but there is only one... Cabin # 6 "The Love Shack" !!
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed in Cabin 4 over the New Year holiday and had a lovely time! The owners (specifically Kathy who I dealt with) were very friendly and helpful- especially when a blizzard warning was in effect (but thankfully never happened). It was a nice & quiet place to spend time and we enjoyed the gas fireplace and hot tub very much. The only issue we had was the closeness of cabin 5 & the lack of privacy in the hot tub due to that but we managed. It's my understanding the hot tubs are a newer additon so there may be something yet to be done for that. Also they only run in the colder season so it wouldn't even be an issue in Summer. I would also have to say that the shower was a disappointment as it appears to be the original 1950's metal stall. However, in all fairness it was not dirty just worn and discolored, probably from the hard water (which was not the smelly kind just ground water). And I would also have to say that looking at the layout of the cabin it would be incredibly hard/expensive for the owners to replace. Overall we had a great, relaxing time and one of the best New Year's in some time!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nandipandi
Winter is a magical time of year, sometimes it seems as if it's snowing constantly and that's a g oood thing. We keep the driveway cleared - just enough to get you in and out.. If you want to be snowed in, just let us know and we'll make sure you have to stay in and keep yourselves amused. The Cabins are made of Cedar & Pine Logs - in the late 1940's with a 1950 circa RETRO feeling . The showers are not the highlight of the cabins, you didn't come here for that and until we can figure out a way to replace, redo them, we keep them clean and functioning with your own hot water heater nearby. So come to Harolds Resort in the winter - for the snow, for the hot tub, for the quietness, for the solitude, but not for the shower ....