“I could have eaten two” 3 of 5 bubbles

Slabtown Cafe and Burgers
Ranked #4 of 295 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“I could have eaten two”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

After reading all the good reviews of this place, I made it a point to stop in when I was in town. I ordered a regular burger with fries and a drink. They have a pretty wide menu with lots of different types of burgers, but I wanted to try a regular burger before trying a specialty.

They're ordering system is a bit strange. They write the order on a paper bag, which turns out to be the bag your food comes in. It's efficient, but if you pay cash, where's your receipt? You have a choice of things on your burger and although I didn't order any, I suspect you'll be charged extra for some items, like tomato. They ask for your name and write it on the bag (like a grade school lunch bag).

I was a bit taken aback by the overall price of $7.50 for my burger/fries/drink. I've paid more at fast food places. There was a guy cooking in plain view of the counter and occasionally he would shout that an order was up. I was wondering if he would shout out orders by name, but he didn't.

They told me I could sit down and they'd bring it to me. Timing was fine. It didn't take very long at all. The service was fine. They were even good enough to realize that I was ready to order and the people in front of me were in the process of a multiple ticket, so they opened another register for me to order. All the condiments you need are on the table. You won't have to go looking for it at some condiment bar. When I was finished they were very prompt to come and remove my trash.

The burger was small. I was underwhelmed as soon as I pulled it out of the bag. I immediately thought I should have ordered two and that this is why it cost so little. It tasted fine. I wouldn't say it was special, but it was a good burger. The fries are natural cut (skin) and were just average, but there are a lot. I wondered if there were so many fries because the burger was small. The soda is some local brand, not the Coke/Pepsi products that you expect. I prefer smaller brands, so that worked for me.

Food was ok, service was good, price was excellent. There are a lot of other places to go in Traverse City, so I would go back to this place only after trying others in the area.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rick W

Traverse City, Michigan
“GREAT burgers, fries not so much!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We love their burgers--all types and made fresh daily. But every other time we get fries here they are soggy. I think they need to rethink putting them in a paper bag--not consistent. Otherwise a good burger at a good price. I still prefer J & S on Front Street in Traverse City--better burgers, best fries and rings!

Visited August 2013
Spanish Fort, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I miss these burgers a lot.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

These are some really good burgers. Some of the best I've had. If I ever get back up to Traverse, this will be one of my first stops!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jane S
Clarklake, Michigan
“I've eaten a lot of burgers and this place dominates.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My hubby and I came here for lunch over Labor Day weekend and I can honestly say I was blown away with my burger. I had the Traverse City cherry burger with mayo, blue cheese and cherries and I am NOT kidding when I say that even though the burger was huge, I wasn't ready to be done eating when I took my last bite. I've had some great burgers since my husband seeks out places know for having such things but this place really won my heart.

With food being the most important part of the restaurant I feel as though I should still comment on the atmosphere as well. I love the quiet location and the quirky way they bring you your order in a paper bag. We sat outside and I thought the area designated for outdoor dining was quaint and comfortable.

Do I think that maybe the prices were a little high like I've seen in several posts? Not especially. We paid around $20 for two burgers, two fries and two drinks. For the quality and flavor of the food I think this is completely reasonable. I can tell you that we will definitely be back next time we are in Traverse because there are a lot more burgers to sample.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mopogra
Charlevoix, Michigan
“Tastey Burgers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Great fresh juicey burgers and fresh soda from Wild Bill's taps. Makes for a guilty pleasure dinner tonight.

Visited August 2013