“Amazing breakfast and area knowledge!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 19 Traverse City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Most amazing B&B breakfast every had. All organic food. Super friendly, clean and welcoming atmosphere. Cold beverages left for us in the fridge. Felt like home but better.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Franny and Ken are gifted at bringing people together. It was like visiting with family. Breakfast was wonderful each of the four days we were there.

We stayed in the Langley Rm. The bed was very comfortable, and the shared bath was not a problem.

The Oviatt House is not a hotel, it is a family home. We are very glad that Franny and Ken have opened their home to others, and we will be sure to visit again.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

This B&B was such a great hidden gem. The owners were so sweet and attentive, the food was excellent (organic and local) there were local wines to relax to in the evening with a light snack, breakfast was very delightful with fresh made juices and both fresh fruits and yogurt and also a hot breakfast as well. The bed was extremely comfortable and room was decent sized, the shared bathroom was less of a challenge than I anticipated and the price was superb! Only 2 blovks walk to downtown Traverse city and a close drive to many wonderful wineries!

1  Thank Katie H
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The owner of this B&B Frannie and Ken were wonderful. First the breakfast was a
5 star. They accommodated my dairy allergies. Everything was home made and delicious. When we checked in we were welcomed with local wines and beer. It was such a warm welcome.

We slept in the Waldo room. Comfortable room with a queen size bed. Room and
bathroom were clean. Good prices.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank RebeccaN1
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I would fully agree with the other reviewers' comments about: (i) the breakfast being very generous, largely of local produce, and tasty, (ii) the rooms and bathrooms being clean, and (iii) the owners being extremely friendly and welcoming. I really felt almost like I was visiting relatives!

Unfortunately, the slight shortcomings in attention to detail (the kind of things that one might just laugh away when visiting a friend/relative) were a little tiresome.. and have resulted in the low overall rating. During our stay we experienced shortcomings in food hygiene matters, billing (I believe this was fully unintentional but it did take several corrections from us to get this right), and some other aspects of the B&B running (keys, extension leads, etc).

These short comings are really a shame - and I fully believe that these were mere oversights of details. We might give this B&B another go - if this was the case it would be 100% because of the friendliness of the owners.

ps. One previous reviewer noted that those just wanting a place to sleep might do better staying elsewhere. We are inclined to agree - the rooms can be quite noisy (you hear everyone coming and going; two of the bathrooms are on the corridor; and the doors/walls must be on a thin side as we were kept awake by the snoring of another guest next door!)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nmkUK
FrannyBluhm, Owner at Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Hi
Thanks for your clear comments. I appreciate them. Sometimes it is the small details that need to get corrected to have the overall experience perfect. My husband and I often remind each other that 90%/ 10% ratio is not enough.
I appreciated the comments about the keys. I'll make sure I get them to the rooms before or at arrival.
The billing was kind of a fluke.. I had given you a special discount and I did not realize you were paying separately, so yes it took a 2nd try.. I think I can solve that in the future by having billing ready upon arrival. It's clearer that way. Thanks for the idea. It will help us get this year running smoothly and well.
Please be sure to come back and visit us if you can. We enjoyed meeting you and I think you overall had a very nice time here. Traverse City has a great Film festival in August and the Fall is spectacular with grape harvest , wine tours and the colors. And we have such a great location to visit it all along with the pleasures and challenges of a historic 1899 home. Look forward to seeing you at any time if you can make it.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

My adult daughter and I stayed 1 night at Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast on a Friday night in September, 2011. My daughter had a class at the Mid-Michigan University (less than 5 minutes from the Inn). Frannie greeted us in the yard and showed us to our quaint room upstairs. She now has 6 rooms, two have their own bathrooms. While we were there 3 couples were staying so we each had our own bathroom (4 of the rooms upstairs shair 2 bathrooms). We had the king bed, and it was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Our room was spacious, and we were only there to sleep anyway. I would recommend a small fan or something for white noise if you are a light sleeper. It is a house, and you can hear other guests as you would at home. That's a note and certainly not a complaint. Our room also had AC which we didn't need. Breakfast is typically served from 8-9:30 but my daughter had to be at the university at 8 so our delicious breakfast was served at 7:15. Homemade breads, pastries, bacon, omlettes, yogurt, granola, juice and coffee along with fresh fruit was amazing! A newlywed couple had come in late and their breakfast was served after 9:30 with no problem. In the evening we enjoyed wine and snacks while visiting with other guests in the common area. What fun! Frannie is a delight, and she made our stay enjoyable with information about the area and a map of downtown (an easy walk). While my daughter was in class I played the piano in the parlor while Frannie made her family dinner. Our stay was so enjoyable that I wouldn't hesitate recommending Oviatt House to friends. Compared to hotels in the area, the price we paid was very good. I originally chose this property for how close it was to the university. Being an old house, there aren't a lot of electric outlets in the bedroom. If you will need to plug in a lot of devices I suggest taking an extension cord or power strip. We didn't have a problem charging our phones or computer.

Room Tip: If you are leary of sharing a bathroom (wasn't a problem as she wasn't full), ask for a priv...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Frannie and Grace will make you feel right at home at the Oviatt House B&B. We were greeted by Frannie and made to feel welcome immediately with a glass of wine and chips and salsa as well as a myriad of snacks, to which we could help ourselves. The bedroom was small (but of our choice) and did have a clean, private bath. Breakfast was wonderful and there was enough food to feed an army. Almost everything provided came from local growers and vendors and that made it especially nice. The house is quite cute and close to the downtown area so within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. We enjoyed our two night stay immensely.

Room Tip: The smallest room (downstairs) has a private bath. I believe the upstairs rooms must share a bath be...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple