“The good and the average......”
Review of Old Mission Tavern

Old Mission Tavern
Ranked #34 of 309 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 231-223-7280 On Old MIssion Peninsula
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,401 helpful votes
“The good and the average......”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We had dinner here at Old Mission Tavern for the first time in April, on a Saturday night. It was very busy by the time we left around 7 PM. The place is pretty darn small, and the tables are very close together. Keep the conversation light and pleasant and clean-LOL!

We were seated right away, as we had made reservations. Service was a bit odd-they did bring us whatever was needed, and they were always around, but the wait staff is not the friendliest or real helpful.

The windows in the place are very nice and really light it up inside. There is an art gallery located here too, and we took a gander at some of the available pieces, but nothing really caught our eye, if we had intended or hoped to buy anything. There was a small private group having dinner on one side of the art gallery too, so we couldn't really go over there and look at the art on the walls. They should have a bumped out area for such a gathering; I wouldn't have wanted other diners walking around in the area at all if I was having such a dinner there.

The food was very good. Two of us had whitefish and one of us had prime rib, and all were happy. Salads, bread (excellent), vegetables came with each entree. Drinks good. We chose not to get dessert, since we were all full.

They do have a few early bird specials (5-6 PM) and I think I'd order one for sure over the prices on the other meals, when you basically get the same thing. The choices are very limited for the early bird, so I'd call ahead to see what they are having before driving all the way out there (almost to the lighthouse). So, the prices I would give an OK on, but a bit pricey for my taste for what you get. Hope that makes sense.

Bathrooms very clean and parking is tight-small lot. Right off the highway (2 lane road that runs out the peninsula-I don't like to call it a highway...).

Full bar.