“This place gave me food poisoning. ”

Zakey Middle Eastern Cuisine
Ranked #179 of 316 Restaurants in Traverse City
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Description: Zakey was created by Nabiel Musleh; born and raised in Ammam, Jordan. Zakey is a combination of Jordanian family cuisine with a cultural atmosphere.
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

A friend referred us to this place. We were excited to try it.

So, my husband, who is Lebanese, asks the waitress if they have a certain dish that he enjoyed as a child. She says she's never heard if it because they only serve Middle Eastern food. He says the dish is Lebanese. She continues to school him on the fact that Lebanese and middle eastern food are two completely different things and two different parts if the world. Ok, whatever. She's just the waitress. Just thought it was funny.

Anyway, my husband orders a lamb dish with rice and I order the chicken shawarma platter. His food was not even edible. I was starving, and although my chicken and rice looked about 17 days old, I ate it anyway.
Huge, huge, huge mistake! Les than an hour later, I began having stomached cramps and ended up in the bathroom all night. I couldn't eat anything for over a week with ought ending up in the bathroom.
I was not going to leave a review at all, however, after what their food put me through I thought it would be cruel not to earn others.

To be fair, the grilled pita bread was tasty and the salad was fresh.

6  Thank BridjetT

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Great Food, Good people, awesome variety. We had one server who was not up to par with the rest but have not seen her since our first visit. We go once a week and split 2 combination platters. I would recommend to every and any one looking for a good night out with out breaking the bank.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stopped into this spot for lunch on a visit to my brother's in Traverse City. The food was good and is incredibly well-priced. I am a huge fan of baba ghanouj and lamb and ordered both. The baba ghanouh was good but the lamb was a little tough. While both weren't great, they were definitely better than I expected for such an affordable price. My brother and his girlfriend are both vegetarians and loved their wraps and will probably frequent this place regularly!

Overall, a good spot for lunch with attentive service and a good selection of dishes.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We did not eat here. We sat down and told the waitress we were going to wait for the rest of our party before we ordered (they were trying to find a parking spot). She went back to the owner/chef and I could hear her complaining about us. Because of that we decided to leave. When we were leaving I saw the owner storm out of the kitchen, presumably to kick us out. I told the owner that we could hear everything the waitress said and he told me he didn't want people just "hanging out" not ordering anything. This whole span was less than 15 mintues. I could understand if we were just sitting there for 30 minutes or more and if they were busy, but they weren't. Regardless, we left and do not plan on ever coming back.

1  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Should not call Mediterranean restaurant. Worse Mediterranean food/ restaurant I ever had. The quality is low. They mix small samples all in one plate. They get mixed up. The Juice of the salad get over the hummos, hommos over what they called shawarma "in fact is only few pieces of chicken", the chicken is mixed with the rice....
The price for the food is expensive. They charge us 14.99 for Shawerma platter. But, got NO shawarma.
The Falafel is a nightmare. They do make the balls by hand!!!! In addition, Falafel Sandwich is worst I ever had.
NOT recommended.
Instead of wasting your time, wait for the first trip to Detroit/Dearborn and try the food there (AlAmeer, Hamodeh,Al Arz,...).

1  Thank Mo A