“Beautiful setting”

Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room
More attraction details
Owner description: Chateau Chantal is a unique development that combines a winery, vineyards, bed and breakfast, residence, six private home sites, and winding roads, all of which combine to create an experience in Northern Hospitality. The 65 acre site sits high atop a ridge 12 miles north of Traverse City, Michigan on the beautiful and historic Old Mission Peninsula. Chateau Chantal crafts many styles of wine, allowing the grape to dictate the style. The location’s unparalleled views and outstanding staff play host to B&B activities, cooking classes, wine education opportunities, Tapas Tours, conferences and meetings, small weddings, and friendly regional wine events.
Gary, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our visit to this winery was pleasant - beautiful setting, amazing deck and very friendly service. We did the wine tasting and then purchased a glass of wine and some cheese. Although it was a very pleasant hour or so, the wine itself is not stellar. Come for the view and something different to do.

Visited November 2013

Michigan
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“So-So”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I try to like this place every time we come here but I continue to be disappointed. I agree with all the reviewers that this place has a great view. But honestly, that's were I see it stopping.

I'll start briefly with the parking. It's terrible. In fact, they have posted a sign that says "Park Creatively." Though funny, it is a tad irratiting as there is no rhym or reason to anything and trying to navigate through people parking all over the place and others who are trying to get out.

A positive is the cost of the tastings. At $3 for five tastings we found this to be very fair.

I have to say that this place has always been so busy and I have yet to have been apart of any decently organized system to get you up to the tasting bar. On the day my wife and I and two friends showed up, two of the main tasting bars were open. When we finally got to the tasting bar we found that our server was over worked and not very friendly or consistent with who she was serving. Our server was responsible for eight people which I found to be a few too many for her to handle. We also paid our server directly at the tasting bar which generally would not be a problem but I saw that she was often busy at the cash register instead of pouring tastings and educating us as to what THEY had to offer. She also was far from consistent with who she was pouring and was bouncing around too much. I ended up ordering my last two pours together as I was unsure how long I would have to wait again. And to top it all off, none of their moderately priced wines were any good and none of us four bought anything. I will say that their ice wine was GREAT, however at $72 a bottle, was not worth it. They did have small food offerings such as hummus for $4 and though we wanted to order some, we were not willing to wait however long it would be to get it to us, given how long we were waiting for our pours.

We will be back to the Traverse City area wine tasting again, however we will probably not be back here again. There is just no draw.

If you read this and still decide to go, I would recommend going during the week or in the off season when there are not as many people.

Visited October 2013
mcdalese, Owner at Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us, we value feedback and evaluate your experience closely to make continued improvements in methods to best handle crowd control. You're correct, this time of the year is our busiest, and we have worked to create a line for the tasting bar, and on saturdays with a staff member taking pre-payments for the tasting so the bar servers can focus on the wine. I'm sorry you were not in on a day that was staffed in that manner. It should have also been explained to your group, and I'm very sorry it wasn't, that our hummus and other snack offerings are self-service, you needn't wait in line to order. Rather, they can be paid for at the bar with the tasting and pulled from the prepared cooler in the tasting room.
Marie-Chantal Dalese
South Bend, Indiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Our favorite wine tasting experience for the day!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

What a great place to taste a great variety of wines. It was busy and crowded but we didn't feel overwhelmed at all. We were greeted and directed quickly to the tasting room where we were very informed about every glass of wine we tasted. When we picked out our favorite wines, we were amazed at the discounts available and left very satisfied with our experience!

Twin Lake
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“What a view”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We enjoyed the wine tasting very much. Then we bought a glass of wine and enjoyed it outside in the patio with a wonderful view of Grand Traverse Bay. Beautiful!

Weatherford, Oklahoma
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“"Tops for the area"”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Set on a hilltop overlooking vineyards and Grand Traverse Bay, this is a favorite place for meetings, weddings and wine tasting. Just a couple of bucks will get you half a dozen tastes, and that's deducted after wine purchases. You can also buy wine by the glass, if a particular wine catches your fancy. Chateau Chantal is the outstanding winery and tasting room on the Mission Peninsula. Lots to choose from, and a lovely gift shop with local items.

1 Thank Cattleman007