“Comfort, Safety and Location on the Bay”

Sugar Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Comfort, Safety and Location on the Bay”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Several times a month I am on the road traveling. I always look for a safe, comfortable and affordable place to stay. The Sugar Beach Resort/Grand Beach Resort in Traverse City, MI provide me that and more.

Add to it a beautiful location on the Grand Traverse Bay, I've got the best place to stay while away from home in TC.

Room Tip: My first choice is always a bay side view room. As a business traveler the hotel management throug...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
sgirlie
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I booked two rooms for my dad and I last week for three days. The property is well-maintained with spacious, comfortable rooms. I'm not sure I'd be happy paying the $300 they charge in the summer but for the off season, it was great. I enjoyed watching the sunset from my balcony. The breakfast buffet was good, but it would be better if they offered whole wheat bread for toasting. The only whole-grain option anywhere on the buffet was the raisin bran cereal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed two nights at Sugar Beach and enjoyed the stay for the most part. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I loved being right on the beach. We didn't get up in time for breakfast.

I was very excited to see that adults only were allowed in the pool from 10:00 to 11:00 pm, as we were trying to spend some time without our own kids... We went down to the pool ready to sit in the hot tub until the families headed out. At 9:45, a couple dropped off 5 kids under 12 and took off. 10 o'clock came and went. At 10:20 a staff member came out and told the kids they had 5 more minutes. 10 minutes later the kids are still splashing and running around the pool. I went to the front desk and complained. I was VERY disappointed that then at 10:55, an employee came in and told the adults, who were finally able to relax and swim some laps, a five minute warning...

I may stay there again, but I will complain much louder and much more quickly were something similar to happen again... I was very disappointed with this experience. The staff were aware there was no adult with these kids and let them swim unsupervised. Not only is it annoying when a hotel disregards it's policies on adult swim time, but this was also hazardous for the children when a safety rule is broken.

• Stayed May 2013
Minneapolis
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We looked at several properties online before we settled on this one. We spent a few extra dollars for a water view room. We are very happy. It's quiet, clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Our room is large with a walk-in shower which is a plus for arthritic knees. We have enjoyed watching sunset from our balcony and walks along the beach. This is a great off-season value.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mplsmyrn
Bay City
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We stayed there for the first time and we loved it! The rooms were clean, not overly warm as you could control the temp of your room and it actually worked!!!! The staff was kind and check in was fast. Great maned breakfast buffet with room. We will definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: While there there was a power outage. We were only on second floor so was easy to take stairs next t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Every time I come to the area (can be up to 3-4 x's/mos) I stay at your hotel. I have never had a bad experience and enjoy the location so much!. I have to travel anywhere from 1-2 hours north and south of the location for work purposes and, no matter the time I get back, (can be near midnight at times) I have always encountered friendly and helpful staff. All the ameneties have been very clean in my experiences. Thanks also for bringing back waffles!!

Good job to the staff at Sugar Beach!! I will continue to refer friends, family, and coworkers to also stay at your hotel

Room Tip: Have stayed in courtside and beach front. All have been very positive
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I am so happy I chose the Sugar Beach Resort!! I am always looking for new places to visit and experience and this was by far one of the best! The rooms were amazingly clean and I consider myself a huge skeptic. The view was gorgeous, I stayed in a room that overlooked East Bay. The staff members were all great! From the gentleman who checked me in, the gal who attended the wonderful breakfast bar, the room attendant to the incredibly sweet gal who checked me out. They have the best staff!!! I will be back!

Room Tip: Call to make your reservation, they are so helpful!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo