“Location, location, location”

Sugar Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 31 December 2010

This hotel is a great value in a great location. It's right on the beach and just down the road from the downtown area. We stayed in the family suite which has a separate room with bunk beds for the kids. There is an Xbox and DVD player with rentals available at the front desk. Both movie and game selection were up to date and in good condition with no scratches. The swimming pool and hot tub were busy both days we were there and they supply separate pool towels. There is a continental breakfast with the usual fare along with free coffee in the lobby. I believe the 2nd floor is completely non smoking if you wanted to stay away from smoking rooms. There was a previous review about the transfer of noise: I think the problem is not the wall thickness but the fact that some kids run around and are just plain loud. That being said, this is more of a family resort and would be great for gatherings although I did see some honeymoon suites. Overall the room was clean, had a large stock of bath towels, and good water pressure. Staff at the front lobby were very friendly and accommodating. For the quality and location, you can't go wrong with the price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
AmandaLC, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

We are very pleased that you found our resort to be ideally located for your family getaway. It is always nice when precious vacation time does not have to be wasted traveling in the car. We try extremely hard to create a fun atmosphere for the kids, the x-box and game rentals were an addition in our suites this past summer. We are glad to hear our updates are a big hit! We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Traverse City.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

My wife and I enjoyed ourselves from the moment we pulled into the lot. The staff was extremely knowledgable and friendly. The view from our room was perfect!! I have never wrote a review before but felt so strong about how great of a time we had that I had to share my thoughts. By the way, before we went to our trip I read a review that suggested that there was an odor in the hotel, the staff was rude, and not helpful. I am telling you now....that is all false.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
AmandaLC, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and that you took the time to write a great review. We are committed to taking care of our guests from the time they enter the front door, until their departure. We will continue in our stride for excellence and guest satisfaction. Again we are glad to hear that our staff and resort exceeded your expectations, and we look forward to seeing you and your wife again in the future!!

Reviewed 6 October 2010

cant say enough about sugar beach....the front desk staff are incredible....the rooms are classy and clean.....just a great place to stay right on the beach.....wonderful

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank sooboy1963

We are so happy that you enjoyed our resort, and thank you for the positive feedback. It is very important to us that we continue to exceed all of our guests expectations. We spend a lot of time and effort in giving our guests the complete package when they stay at The Sugar Beach. Clean rooms, ideal amenities and a friendly and helpful staff. So glad that everything came together so nicely for you.

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Hotel was very busy this weekend due to a soccer tournament and a Viper car show. My family enjoyed the beach area, playing football and relaxing on the water. Breakfast was somewhat of a disappointment though.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank mikeandstephtravel
AmandaLC, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are very happy your family had an enjoyable weekend on the beach. Sorry to hear the comment about breakfast. Most of our guests fully enjoy our deluxe breakfast including fresh waffles and toppings, yogurt/granola and hard boiled eggs. Thanks for your business, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 30 August 2010

I was more impressed with this hotel than not. The rooms were clean and the view was great. The only faults on the place are the following:

1) They allow dogs. There was a barking dog across the hall. I think they should dedicate dog only rooms, and not on the top floor.
2) Rooms were OK, but felt like a cheap holiday inn. Nothing special on the room. Rooms are only for sleep here, you will be spending time on the beach.
3) Staff was OK. Ladies were great. There was a guy at the front desk who needed a class in communication. Also needs to learn to smile once in a while.

I am a glass half empty type of guy. So I had to throw in those two comments.

Overall, a great value and solid hotel.

By the way, the beach was awesome. Knee level deep about 100 yards out, so good for the kids. Little disappointed that we had to rent the floating tube (large tube with slide about 100 yards out). This would of been fun, but of course there was a sign that said for rent sign. So they nickle and dime you the best they can, but again who doesnt anymore. Look at the airlines.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
AmandaLC, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

Thank you for your business and the review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and found it to be a good value. We are proud to offer clean, comfortable rooms with a great view of Grand Traverse Bay. Having the best beach in Traverse City at our fingertips definitely makes our resort unforgettable! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 2 August 2010

I am writing this from my room at the hotel. My daughter is napping and i'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't wake up give the noise level. This place has no insulation and you can hear every noise from above (sounds like elephants) and the hallway. I joked with my husband that I keep thinking there is an earthquake - the room and furniture shake when someone walks by (either in the room or in the hallway).

Room: It's okay. More like a motel than a hotel. Smells musty and not very clean (e.g. hairs in the bathroom (that are not ours).

Location: This is the best part about it. Unfortunately it rained this morning so we couldn't use the beach.

We've been here 24 hours and I can't think of anything good to say. The people that work at the front desk are very nice, I will give them that.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MP2C
AmandaLC, Manager at Sugar Beach Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

I apologize for the events you experienced during your stay at the Sugar Beach Resort. They are definitely not acceptable or taken lightly. I can assure you that the “less then perfect” room cleanliness you encountered is not typical of our standards, and I am sorry for the inconvenience. During the summer season the resort is very popular amongst friends and families, and it occasionally gets a little louder then expected at times. We do recommend that you let us know immediately if you are experiencing any problems. We have a large staff that is always ready to accommodate any need.

I am happy to hear that the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and that the location of the resort suited your needs. We are very proud of our beautiful beach frontage on East Grand Traverse Bay.

Reviewed 23 July 2010

My husband and I noticed a bad odor when we walked down the 3rd floor hallway and was it was worse in our room. (Though it said nonsmoking rooms, it must have been smoking in the past). I asked the housekeeper if someone was smoking on the floor and she said it was the cleaning supplies. She came into the room and sprayed but it didn't last. Even the clothes kept in the closet and drawers picked up the odor. We had to wash all our clean clothes and air out the suitcases when we got home. Also the air conditioner leaked water on the carpet and the repairman had to come in and empty the unit with a shop vac. Afterward he suggested we put our towels down to soak up the water in the carpet!
Otherwise the hotel and room were very clean. Continental breakfast was ok. We enjoyed the large hot tub in the room and the bed was pretty comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. The hotel has a large beach front that is very clean (swept daily) and in a great location on Easy Bay where you can take a nice walk along the shoreline.
We did get a great summer rate on this room and would go back if they got rid of the odor or we were on a different floor. Traverse City is a great place to go and get away with lots to do: wineries, dunes, a lot of little towns to shop nearby etc.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DKH51

Thank you for your recent visit to our Hotel. Your feedback is most appreciated, and we value your business. Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay at the Sugar Beach Resort. I can assure you that your concerns are being addressed.

I am very glad that you enjoyed our beautiful beach frontage and that our staff was accommodating. I look forward to your return!