“OMG - What's that smell?”

Red Roof Inn Traverse City
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Royal Oak, Michigan
“OMG - What's that smell?”
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Well we just checked in after a long drive and completely exhausted. The first thing that hit us when we opened the door was the incredible smell of wet dog or something... The dog hair on the sheets was pretty disgusting and made me wonder if they were even washed. The urine on the floor by the toilet was a nice touch too. We asked for a new room but since there are soccer tournaments all weekend the hotel was fully checked in. I just got back from Vegas and my son has to be up at 6am for a game so we just kept the room.

I was shocked since some of the reviews rated it high. This is the nastiest room I have ever stayed in since college. It is also the poorest rating I have ever given a hotel and I travel quite a bit. I shall avoid Motel 6 locations in the future. If you do stay here bring ear plugs, the walls are paper thin.

2 Thank Crazyjack555
Motel6, Owner at Red Roof Inn Traverse City, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear crazyjack555,
We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness and odor issues you encountered during your recent stay. These conditions are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us; please consider contacting our guest relations department to report your experience so we may serve you better in the future: 1-800-557-3435.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Merced, California
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Clean rooms and pet friendly with no dog smell. Would stay again. Not much amenities but all we wanted to do is spend the nite. Close to town. Staff very pleasant. A good deal for the price when you look around here and see the prices.

1 Thank tiahrt
London, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This location of Motel 6 is cleanand modern. Staff were friendly. Prices were very reasonable with seniors' rates. Dogs were free and welcome. Easy parking, great TV cable service, free coffee in lobby all the time, close to restaurants. What more could anyone want?

1 Thank dhpark2016
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We originally wanted to be on the beach right in the heart of TC however, since that added an addition $150 to almost every other hotel we ended up at this Motel 6. Granted, it is beach adjacent and a little off the main drag but it was still very nice. The bed and linens were comfy and clean. I’m also am a little paranoid so I double checked both of the mattresses in the room and the sheets, both of which were clear of bed bugs. The mattresses looked nice and new but, the mattress pad looked a little worn. I think if this hotel could afford a remodel it would be amazing. The rooms were a nice bright color but, the bathroom was a little lacking. It got a little noisy in the hallway during the night but, it settled down quick enough but, the security door near room 106 didn’t seem that secure. The outlet cover underneath the bedside table was missing a cover, I know this would be easy to miss by housekeeping but it seems like a pretty easy and necessary fix. The man working the night shift when we arrived was very nice and knowledgeable about where to eat and what to do, he even helped open my bottle of wine :-)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Garden City, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Grand Traverse Bay at Traverse City, Michigan is Busy and Very Pricey this time of year. Many resort hotels and chains up and down the street. I paid double what I have ever paid for a Motel 6 before and I must say it was worth it because I have never stayed at a Motel 6 where the room was this nice.

The outside of the building and the small lobby were just okay but our room was large, well decorated and clean. The bathroom was brand new. The wi-fi worked well. We did not use the pool.

We would definitely stay there again with a competitive seasonal rate.

Room Tip: We had a second floor room and a window that opened. We left the air off and the window open and it...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oldpuck
sheffield Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I BOOKED my stay on line and paid through Expedia. Check in was a breeze. The room was the best price I could find for a dog friendly room in Traverse City. The room was spotlessly clean with plenty of snow white towels and fresh bedding. The air conditioning was fantastic. It was cold in there until we turned it down. There is a nice indoor pool we didn't use. The beds were soft and comfortable and not too noisy for a good night's sleep! The shower had good pressure with plenty of hot water. We would stay here again especially since rooms in the area were going for $150 to 300+ a night!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I was surprised by the bad reviews. Our room was modern, clean, and bright. The carpet in the hall was new. Since we tend to go towards less expensive hotels , this one was one of the better hotels for the price .

• Stayed July 2013