“Not for Hockey Teams”

Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Taylor, MI
“Not for Hockey Teams”
Reviewed 9 November 2007

Our stay at the Parkshore Inn was horrible. We actually left one day earlier than we had planned and went to the Holiday Inn down the street, because the owner and the staff harassed our entire Hockey Team from day one. I would never recommend to anyone to stay at the Parkshore Inn ever................

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Hockeymomtaylor
ParkShore, Front Desk Manager at Parkshore Resort, responded to this review, 10 November 2007
In response to the email regarding the hockey team’s bad hotel experience, as the front desk manager referred to in the email, I would like to add my side of the story. First of all, Thursday afternoon, about 4 or 5 of these rooms checked in. My front desk staff had informed me that most of them had arrived intoxicated. Thursday evening around 11:45pm we received complaints from other guests of noise coming from these rooms and the smell of smoke in the hallways (they had smoking rooms, but had left their door wide open and smoke was billowing into the hallway). There are non-smoking rooms on this floor as well. Still receiving noise complaints at 1:53a.m., our night auditor went upstairs to ask again that the noise be kept down, only to be sworn at by 14 year old boys and their parents. This was not even half of the issues we had to deal with (our surveillance cameras also showed kids playing hockey in the hallway and unsupervised in other areas of the hotel until 2:30am). Having to move the people in the room next to them and completely refund the stay of an elderly couple that stays with us frequently, we weren’t thrilled. The owner of the hotel asked to meet with the parents in the morning to discuss their behavior and let them know there are hotel conduct rules which need to be followed, or they would be asked to leave. They chose to leave themselves, claiming they were being harassed. I did respond to another complaint regarding smoke on Friday morning and went upstairs to find the door to one of their smoking rooms wide open again with people blocking the hallway. All I asked is that they keep the door to the room closed, as we had received a complaint.

They may have had 16 rooms (for two nights), but it was a full weekend and there were 64 other paying guests in the hotel as well. We appreciate the business that hockey and other sport teams bring us in the off-season, but not at the expense of other guests, or the abuse of our staff. We actually had two teams of hockey players in-house that weekend. The other team caused no problems and we were happy to have them, in fact, we started a movie night in our lobby to give the kids a place to hang out and have fun without disturbing anyone.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fort Wayne, In
Reviewed 19 October 2007

My wife and I have been visiting Traverse City for the last 15 years and always enjoy the climate and water. We watched the ParhShore being built just a few years ago and finally decided to give it a try this year. The experience was wonderful. The hotel is located on the most beautiful part of East Grand Traverse Bay and the staff is superb. From the beach to the lounge, no area is left to chance. The staff is diligent about the quality and service they provide to their guests. The beach is groomed daily, the chairs are all organized for a very professinal presentation, and the lounge has live entertainment, I can't say enough about the pleasure of our stay. Keep up the good work, we will be back in 08 and we will bring our friends.

• Liked — The attention to details with the service
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank travelone25
gmparkshore, Colleen, General Manager at Parkshore Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2008
Thank you for your review. I hope that you continue to stay with us every year. Our staff strives to treat our guests how we expect to be treated.

May I recommend the sunrise and sunsets from our beachfront rooms? They are quite spectacular. We hope to see you soon.
Perrysburg
Reviewed 2 October 2007

My husband and I first stayed here in August. We had such a wonderful time we made sure to go back in September. There is nothing bad to say about this resort. The rooms are clean. The beach is clean. And the view from the balcony overlooking the bay is stunning. We plan are going back here at least twice a year. We never want to leave.

• Liked — The beautiful view of the bay
  • Disliked — No Answer
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you for the review. I hope you continue to visit us every year. I agree, the views from the balcony are stunning!
Lansing MI
Reviewed 24 September 2007

I've traveled to Traverse City every summer for the past 6 or 7 years and have stayed in several of the area hotels. This was my first stay at ParkShore but I must say now I will not stay anywhere else in town! What a wonderful location! With a great sandy beach and plenty of extra beach ammenities PLUS being such a short drive from the downtown area and resturants I was close to everything I wanted to visit. The staff was friendly, very helpful and willing to go out of thier way to be accomodating. The hotel was very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Traverse City area.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank junebug33
Michigan
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I was very suprised to see that such a new Hotel would be so dirty!!Our room had fingernails and candy wrapper on the floor by the bed, and the fridge had hair in it with an old bottle of water that had been opened with mold growing in it, and had chocolate milfk splashed on the wall and little kid handprints all over the sliders!! It also had old gum on the carpet!!!! I just want a clean place to stay when we come to Traverse City....We will not stay here again....and I do recommend the Bayshore Resort or the Cherry Inn for cleanliness and will be going back to one of those in the future..........

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — it was dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2007

My wife and I reserved this hotel in January over the phone for 4 nights - beginning July 21st - and also followed up with a call confirming the reservation in late February. Our deposit (one night) was debited from our bank account by the hotel in March. When we arrived to the hotel with our three young kids we were shockingly told that the reservations had been cancelled despite the fact they had no evidence of any call or communication being made.

This information was not only shocking due to the fact that neither my wife or I contacted the hotel to cancel our reservation, but also seemed very suspect as a large governors' convention was taking place in Traverse City that weekend and the town was packed. After several requests, the manager (Bill) finally got on the phone and told me that we would be relocated for the first night at no cost and then the first of the three remaining nights at the Parkshore would be provided to our family at no cost.

The next day, after a painful stay at a lower end hotel and 2 exhausting sessions of packing and unpacking for three young kids, we showed up to check in a second time. The manager proceeded to brake his verbal promise and offered only a modest discount for each of the three nights (15%). After much additional debate, he grudgingly increased the discount to 20%. Due to the fact that my wife and I were trapped hundreds of miles from home with three kids - and wiped out - we reluctantly checked in for three nights.

The resort is positioned in the perfect spot (a beautiful kid-friendly beach with all of the amenities) and the barkeepers at the lounge were very friendly. Conversely, the quality of the rest of the facility was below average and the service suspect. There were no linens available for our pull out bed for two straight nights and no towels available for the indoor pool on one of three occasions. The thin pull out bed was very uncomfortable due - in part - to multiple broken springs. The modestly equipped workout facility had no towels at all both days I visited and on one day - old sweaty towels were left behind. Our room was equipped with a kitchenette, but completely devoid of any silverware, cups, pans, etc. Hopefully, the owner take steps to improve his establishment for future guests.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The check-in process
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelingFive
ParkShore, General Manager at Parkshore Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2007
I would like to start by saying that it is obviously not standard policy to just cancel an individual’s reservation without them calling in to do so. We do not overbook to avoid situations like this. I am not sure how this happened, but I did apologize immensely for the inconvenience. I did everything in my power to correct any issue that came up. I called many different properties trying to find accommodations for the family of five (which is not an easy task on a sold out Traverse City weekend). After much time on the phone getting nowhere, I immediately took the time and drove into town to the Best Western and personally made a reservation for the family. The ParkShore Resort paid for their entire first night at the Best Western, which totaled over $240.00. I could have easily said, “Sorry, your reservation was cancelled on the July 17th and your deposit was refunded on July 20th. Good luck finding a room when all of Traverse City is sold out.” Instead I did everything I could and paid for her room at another hotel even though I was not on property to look at anything or talk to them in person.

I spoke with the husband about their reservations for the next three nights. His comment to me was that he should have his next night complimentary and then he would pay for the following two. My exact response to this was, “I have to take care of the issue at hand and when I get in tomorrow morning I will see what I can work out for you.” Apparently this response was taken as I agreed to everything he said, which was not the case.

Now, I arrived to work in the morning, looked over everything and did what I thought was right and accommodating to rectify the situation as I said I would. In their initial reservation they were booked for 4 nights in a suite with a rate of $239.99 Sunday thru Thursday and $279.99 Friday and Saturday. The total for this reservation, taxes and all, would have been $1119.96. So after it was all said and done, with one night paid for by ParkShore and 20% off for the rest of their stay, their new total came to $645.09. As you can see this is drastically less than the original amount, almost half! If you subtract the $240 I paid for their first night, my hotel did not come out ahead on this one, but our guests did have a beautiful place to stay.

To address the issue with not having any pots, pans, corkscrews, etc., we do not put them into the rooms unless requested. All it takes is a simple call to the front desk and there would have been an entire box full of items for the kitchenette. And as for not having any linens in the room, again, all a simple call to the front desk, and they would have found that there were linens in the bottom drawer of their armoire for the pull out sofa.

I would like to say there are not many people who would take the steps I did to ensure they had a place for their entire family. I did not sit down or hang up the phone until I knew they had a place to stay. I understand that it was not the quality or location of ParkShore Resort, but it was the best available at that time. As I said before, I apologize for any error that may have been made on our part and did my best to correct it.

Bill Boltze
ParkShore Resort
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I booked a king room (not a suite) here because it had a balcony overlooking the beach. This property may have been nice when new but it's dirty. The sofa was stained, the carpet dirty with dust built up around all the edges, and the balcony was filthy with sticky spills, etc. At $210 I really expected at least a fresh/clean room. I got a refund and went to the Hampton Inn across the street which, although an older property, at least was clean with the usual awesome beds of a Hampton. If you want to be right on the beach and don't care if your room is spotless...you may like this place.

Stayed July 2007