“Nice location - not clean”
Review of Parkshore Resort

Parkshore Resort
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Michigan
“Nice location - not clean”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

When you walk in the lobby - there is a musty smell. When I got to my room immediately I smelled cigarette smoke. I returned to the lobby to request another room. The attendant told me that all the rooms are non-smoking. I told her that I understand but....the room I was assigned was full of cigarette smoke. I was in town for a business meeting and I did not want the smell to permeate my clothing.

I was assigned another room. Although there was not a distinct odor of cigarette smoke, there was a clear musty smell. The cloth furniture was stained. I was tired so I just went to bed. The toilet was very difficult to flush. It often took 2-3 times to clear the bowl. The shower/bath had a lot of mold by the ceiling.

I will not stay here again. Hopefully they will renovate since the location on the beach is wonderful.

Room Tip: Check you room first for smell and cleanliness.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank JBBTraveler
ParkShore, Manager at Parkshore Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service that we at the ParkShore strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. All of our rooms, as you were told, are indeed non-smoking. Unfortunately, sometimes guests do indeed smoke in a room regardless of this policy. I assure you that we do take immediate action in these cases to resolve these and other maintenance issues as soon as we are made aware of them.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed here during a Wine Trail/Leaf Viewing weekend. While the resort was beginning to show a wear & tear it was clean. We weren't in the room that much so it was tolerable. The bed was comfortable and the room adequately furnished. Nothing special. Nothing major wrong. There are nicer places to stay in Traverse City but when considering all the factors it's worth a try.

The breakfast buffet wasn't anything special but the price was right. We didn't eat any other meals there but the menu posted in the elevator seemed reasonable.

The staff was friendly enough but always seemed distracted.

If you haven't been to Traverse City before and don't already have a favorite place to stay give this one a try. You might find that it works for you.

Room Tip: Check the pricing before committing.....even weekends during the off-season the rooms cost more than...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drlooper
We appreciate you review and are glad to hear you had a good stay overall. Maintaining clean and comfortable accommodations is important and we will discuss your feedback with our team. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit!

flint, mi
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Parkshore does have that musty smell. Perhaps it is because it is on the water. The beach is beautiful and they have chairs available. There is a lounge, but we did not eat or drink there. We were told about Happy Hour. Parking is adequate and well lit. We stayed in a King room. It had a refridgerator and I always like that in a hotel. The TV was a newer model with a clear picture. Lots of drawers, hangers and lighting. The room appeared clean. The coffee pot had crud and like a furrry thing inside, like it had not been cleaned EVER! Lastly, I always pull the bedding back and kinda sniff the sheets, in a place that is sketchy. And to my surprise there was a plastic cover completely enclosed over the mattress. However the small flimsy ragged out mattress pad was dirty with different colors of long and short hair abundant!!!!!!!!!!! YUCK!!!!!!!!! WE WILL NOT BE BACK,ONLY STAYED THE ONE NIGHT, the sheets appeared clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dulcevesta928
We sincerely apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. We keep our housekeeping to the highest standards, and you can be assured that these issues have been addressed with our team and corrected. We hope you will return to experience the many enhancements we have made.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property,
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I saw the bad reviews for the hotel but was a little worried but the price was very good (use hotel website) and had a great time. The restaurant was good with nice size portions and the bar prices are reasonable. The rooms are nice and very quite, I did not hear a thing while sleeping. Hotels does a lot of weddings and can be very crowed at times and parking can be a challenge with the weddings. I make a trip to traverse city every year in the fall and plan on making this hotel my choice each fall. The price was right!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Alan M
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. We are delighted to hear you felt you received great value for your money and were able to enjoy some peace and quiet ! It is also nice to hear that you were able to take advantage of what our restaurant and lounge have to offer. We're grateful for your high ratings and recommendation and look forward to your next visit!

Howell, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 21 September 2013

There are many things to consider...
Made reservations in May for a wedding in September. Was told that they needed a CC number to hold the rooms (I requested 3), when the credit card bill came I was surprised to find out they I was charged for the rooms that same day for a reservation I would not using for 4 more months.
Upon check in I was attempted to be charged a second time and currently it is still not rectified. The desk staff was less than accommodating.
The room itself had a foul order but after the air ran for a while it has seemed to dissipate.
The main traffic patterns were vacuumed I can currently see food debris and rolled up nylons from previous clients under the dresser.
The decorative linens on the bed were stained and honestly. Just plain gross.
I could not recommend this to anyone in the future and had I not been charged already for the room and on my way to a wedding I would have looked for another location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sarah827

Travellers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

Currently in a room at this hotel and it smells bad. I have stayed here before and it was lovely and clean. But not this time. Such a nice location on the beach, but the housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired

Stayed September 2013
4 Thank MichiganBenthere
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night while traveling to play golf. Nice location, easy to get around Traverse City. Breakfast was very good-wonderful cinnamon French toast!
Very nice would stay again! Great view of the bay!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple