“Terrible hotel for children and adults with bedbugs” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Parkshore Resort
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“Terrible hotel for children and adults with bedbugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

Do not stay at this hotel. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. They are unprofessional and rude. Your children are not safe here. They do not lock their doors at night and they definitely let all drunks walk around until wee hours of the morning. They serve alcohol all day and night in their lounge and don't care if you are passed over dying before they quit serving you alcohol. They just want to make money off of you. They had a drunken lady breaking things in the lobby and the employee had no help from anyone. There is no security at the hotel at all. She was left to deal with the situation on her own before having a breakdown and crying claiming that she was just a child. Very professional huh!! They had another drunken guy come from another hotel and he broke railings and was not questioned and no cops were called. They just brush things off and try to pray that things will get better on their own.
They had movie night in the lobby and offered cookies to the children but soon after I checked out I received a letter from Parkshore resort claiming that the next time I check in I have to sign a rules sheet and teach my children simple courtesy. That they were not allowed to have two cookies. My children had one and if they were not allowed to have two then they should have passed them out themselves. It was actually their employees eating them.
I will never stay at this hotel again and I feel I put my kids in harms way by staying at this hotel. I have actually reported this hotel with the Better Business Bureau and The Michigan Liquors Commission.
If you love your family you will not stay here. You never know when trouble will knock at your door. Not once did they ask anyone where they were going and what room they were in.
Anything goes at this hotel. Bad Bad Bad. Please do not stay at this hotel.
They never cleaned our room the three nights we were there. I vacuumed my room every night and I would take dirty towels down every night to get fresh towels. I had to take my own trash out because there was no housekeeping all three days I was there. If I wanted to do that I would have rented a house or something. I would have just stayed home. Worst hotel ever... My kids got rashes while we were up there and soon realized they were bites from bedbugs. Disgusting.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank nataliasweetie
ParkShore, Manager at Parkshore Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
The parties represented by this review occupied 5 rooms over an extended weekend. During their stay there were at least 20 unsupervised children that became very disruptive to all other guests. The pool, lobby, beach and all other common areas had to have constant attention to keep the property presentable. Any ammenities offered were quickly abused at the expense of the other 75 rooms in house. Management tried relentlessly to control the situation but despite their efforts, three other families looking for a relaxing weekend checked out due to the loud and abusive nature of the party. After their visit management wrote a letter to the parties explaining that if they planned to have family reunions in the future, they had to occupy our common areas structured for that purpose and could not infringe on the rights of all other guests. Management felt this was the proper way to address this situation for future visits and the quiet enjoyment of all parties.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here as a nice vacation away together and we really liked it. The price was reasonable and the room was clean and nice. The view of Grand Traverse Bay from the balcony of our room was beautiful. I would recommend a room facing either the courtyard or the beach as the other rooms face the busy road as well as the state park. The only negative about the room was that if you kept the door open to the balcony, you heard the busy road rather than the water, but it was still nice. You still have a view of the water from most of the courtyard rooms. The customer service was really good. We were able to have a bonfire on the beach, which was so relaxing, and go parasailing, as the resort has the option of those two activities along with boat rentals, jet skis etc. The beds were decent, but comfortable enough for a good nights sleep. The continental breakfast was just okay, but it does save on going out to breakfast. All in all, I would say that the positives well made up for the very few negatives. I would recommend a friend to this place, for value and cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
San Fransisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

Pros: Great location
Not too terribly expensive (but I stayed in the off-season)
Breakfast is good.

Cons: Looks a litle outdated, expecially the carpet.
Did not get a good nights sleep; "lounge" was full of people who needed to be "cut-off" . Noisy, smoking in the halls, rude, ect.ect. Oddly- I noticed an employee taking part in this behavior!

Management was unresponsive, with a smile.

Probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank silly_sally2010
Chicago Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

We went up on a "leaf peeping" visit this past weekend. The views are great, but I wouldn't stay on the first floor again. The set up is odd and requires other guests to walk by your room very close to your door so there is no privacy whatsoever. The breakfast was nice, the rooms adequate, but the price wasn't cheap compared to what all the other hotels were offering for this time of year. My worst complaint was that at 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30 a.m., there was a lot of yelling, laughing, and running in the hallway and we were located close enough to the front desk that it had to have been heard and should have been taken care of. Might be the problem with having a bar in the same hallway with open access. Next time, we'll probably look for a lakeside hotel with a bit more privacy.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

We had a few mix-ups at the begining but all was taken care of by thegracious owner immediatlely with excellent accomadations and service. We could not have found a nicer place to stay. The location was situated on a sandy beach to walk on for miles right on the bay. We will come back next year to stay. The staff was always there for us.

John & Karen

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

My wife and I just stayed here for three nights during the Labor Day weekend. We wanted cheap so we got a non-bayview room (faces the road). Unfortunately it was a smoking room, too. However, due to the pleasant weather we just opened the window and the room was quite tolerable. The room itself was clean as well as the bathroom. Maid service did a fine job. The hotel could probably use an updating but it wasn't terrible. The continental breakfast was good, too. There were a couple of cereals, decent pastries, hard boilded eggs, waffle machine, a variety of juices, coffee, and english muffins. Just one thing, they need to buy a new toaster!! It works, but slooooow...

I didn't get a chance to check out the pool but it looked ok as I walked by. The bayview rooms had nice balconies and a ground level room would be really handy to walk right out to the beach. They have a bar and grill that I didn't get a chance to visit but it seemed well visited.

The location is excellent. It is technically outside the city limits (as are most of the resorts/hotels on the East Bay) but there are plenty of places to eat and it is just a few minutes from downtown.

There were no issues whatsoever during our stay. I can highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
AroundHere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

We went there on Memorial Day weekend, and stayed in one of the Whirpool rooms. First the good things about this place:
Whirpool room was good. Good cable, working, well structured whirlpool with lots of mirrors, heating and airconditioning was good. The bathrooms were clean and well equipped. Beds were cosy and comfortable. Good lighting in the room. Overall, we liked the room. The resort serves free continental breakfast and coffee-cookies in the evening. Liked that. Good beach and paragliding opportunity right in the backyard. Convenient. Managers were kind and helpful and quite considerate of our concerns. Nice location. Do visit the Don's Diner which is quite close for their excellent shakes.

Now the not-so-good things:
Indoor swimming pool wasnt very attractive. Seemed dingy. But with whirlpool in the room, we didnt need it and didnt use it. We first had reserved a 2nd floor Whirpool suite, but the balcony there was too tiny for 2 of us to sit comfortably. The living room had worn out curtains and old-looking couch. Had a dingy look to it. So we decided to move to the first floor whirpool room and liked it. The managers helped in this transition, without a fuss.
Lots of mosquitoes outside the hotel, but thats the case everywhere in Traverse City. So cant really make use of the balcony. Also, the WiFi was very slow.

Overall, a nice place to live for a couple of days.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple