“Amazing Stay!!”
Review of North Shore Inn

Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Recently stayed at North Shore Inn, and what an amazing place to stay!! The staff is SO helpful, the Condo's are very well kept and clean, the beach and pool are great. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay during my vacation! I am very surprise that there were any negative reviews, I couldn't find one thing here to complain about! I have already booked for a stay in 2014, and will be returning for many summers too come!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dreamer2121
jean6484, General Manager at North Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Hello!
Thank you so much for your kind review! I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with the North Shore Inn. I am also very happy to hear the staff was able to help you and keep your room is tip top condition! We look forward to seeing you in 2014. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at North Shore Inn several times, and continue to be impressed with the facility, beach and staff! It feels like home away from home with all the amenities. Great for families with kids, couples, or a group of friends. There are so many Fabulous restaurants we want To try that we can't fit them all in! Already booked a weekend in the fall to enjoy the autumn Colors and wineries! Thank you North Shore Inn for another perfect vacation!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank MommaKR
jean6484, Manager at North Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to write such a kind review! We are so happy to hear you keep coming back to the North Shore Inn during your visits to Traverse City. We do have so many amazing local restaurants I can see how you would have a hard time choosing! One of my favorite casual spots at the moment is the Blue Tractor :) We look forward to seeing you in the fall! Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Nice 2 bed/2 bath condo. Friendly staff and housekeeping. New, white, fluffy towels in both baths (one small with shower, upstairs bath big). Had a third floor unit so views were great. The beach is beautiful and kept very nice. Parking is very tight as the place was full over the long weekend. Our third couple had their RV and stayed in the Traverse City Camp Ground about a mile down the road so going back and forth was close.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to write a review! I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with the North Shore Inn. The views from the 3rd floor balconies are spectacular. We hope to see you again on any future trips you take to the Traverse City area.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is a nice place to stay. We like to get the condo's on the third floor that have an upstairs bedroom. We have been there a few times and we enjoyed our stay every time. We like to use the kitchen and cook meals. The kitchens are very nice and have pretty much everything that you need. You may want to bring a cork puller though. Sometimes they don't have them.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
jean6484, Manager at North Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Brad we are glad you enjoyed your stay with North Shore Inn again. We do have wine openers in all of our rooms. If they are not in a room we always have them in the office. Although some guests do tend to take them as souvenirs :) We hope to see you on your next trip to beautiful Traverse City Michigan.

Management

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed upstairs in the room that is on the corner (so you can look out the bedroom and see the street and pool and out the balcony and see the lake). I was happy with it overall. I was glad not to be shoved into a teensy motel room and I was very thankful for the full-sized fridge, stove, etc, as well as the living area. It was clean and you had space to walk around. It was important to me to have access to a kitchen because of food sensitivities (I knew if I prepared it, I would be safe and enjoy the trip), so the good deal we got with condo ammenities was great. The view to the lake was wonderful - so pretty.

The staff let us check in an hour or two early (we went on a non-peak day), so that was nice, too.

The only problem was the bathroom. It was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in my life and I've been to El Salvador. Twice. The shower was miniscule. If you are fat, you will be unable to shower and I am not kidding. You will resort to bathing in the lake or in the pool, so hopefully you will come in the summer when it is more than 60 degrees outside. You probably should ask the staff if you could please stand in an example shower to make sure. I am small and luckily, I fit, but seriously, if you're more than 5'3" and weigh more than 104 lbs., it's good luck to you. It is as if the architect remembered at the last second that people have a need to shower and put it into a 2'x1.5' corner that you could reach out of and brush your teeth at the sink while shampooing your hair.

I'm small, so I will go back. But if you're not, you really better check first and I'm not kidding.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a shower bigger than your hand.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tabithawonderbread
jean6484, General Manager at North Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Hello,
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy you enjoyed your time with us enough to return to the North Shore Inn on your next visit to beautiful Traverse City! We are always more than happy to let guests check in early as long as their rooms are clean and ready to go. We know everybody is always anxious to get vacation started as quickly as possible so if we can help move things along we are pleased to do so :) The full sized kitchens are such a nice space in the rooms! We find that people really enjoy being able to prepare their own meals during their time away from home. We do have standard size stand up showers in our 1br units and we have tub/showers in the 2br units. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Weather wasn't good, but condo nice and clean. If you slept in the downstairs bedroom there was road noise, but not upstairs. Have one complaint. First condo we have stayed in that didn't have an iron and ironing board, also would have liked to have had a larger flat screen tv downstairs. We would definitely stay there again. Pam

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjtribolet

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to write a review. Each individual room is not equipped with irons and ironing boards but we do have several in the guest laundry area and usually have a couple irons in the office as well and guests are more than welcome to take them to their rooms! I'm sorry you were unaware of this during your stay. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your room and found it nice and clean. We hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Traverse City!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

The fact that so many of the reviews of this property seem to lean toward excellence surprises me. It is, in fact, why we chose to book our condo here in the first place, instead of one of the many other options available. Yes, the views are wonderful but so are the ones we enjoyed throughout the day when adventuring. Yes, the unit was relatively clean but isn't this to be expected when paying in this price range? The staff was helpful and should be since that is part of their responsibility to guests. As to the smoke and mirrors...We found that the best way to get good cross-ventilation throught the unit was to open the windows at both the front and back of the unit. Unfortunately, the smoke from the outdoor smoking area was drawn right through the room every time we did this. During part of our two-week trip, we stayed at a property where guests were smoking cigars all day, just outside of our room, and we were sure we would escape this dilemma at the North Shore Inn. To the contrary, although we were far down the property from the smoking area, it became a nuisance, beginning the moment we checked-in. Regarding reflections... In simple terms, the mirrors are a bit overdone but do make the rooms feel larger. The bathroom does not fall into this category and, is so cramped, I could barely turn around in the shower. I'm broad-shouldered, not obese, and was not at all comfortable. Good luck trying to get any sleep at this property. While I am a light sleeper, I don't think anyone enjoys several 500 watt floodlights pointed right at their bedroom. The entire front of the inn is lit up like a prison-yard during an attempted escape. We could literally read with our lights off, because of this. We even hung a blanket over the blinds but this did little to help the situation. The inn is in desperate need of black-out curtains and noise-reducing windows. The road noise on the first night was ridiculously loud but, thankfully, wasn't too bad between midnight and 6 A.M. The second day, we took the mattress from the bedroom and put it on the pull-out couch for the rest of our stay. This afforded a nice wake-up view of the bay but was certainly in our way the rest of the time. Did we sleep much better? The answer is no because whomever built this property apparantly went the cheap route and used nails instead of screws for their flooring and definately didn't use any glue for redundancy. It almost became funny as we listened to the people above us walk back and forth sometimes for over two hours as though they were doing laps and always at strange hours! Even when walking in our own unit, we could feel the unevenness in the flooring and hear considerable groaning and squeaking. We had decided to treat ourselves (even though it wasn't a smart economic move), instead of staying at the Knight's Inn as we had the year before. Big mistake! Having just come from a two-bedroom, beautifully-appointed home on a trout-stream, which rented for $100 a night, this inn was a let-down. Of course, they take all of your money beore they give you the key, so I'm not sure what our options would have been. I would pitch a tent by the bay before ever considering a return visit.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matt M
jean6484, General Manager at North Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

We are sorry to hear your stay had some flaws. Although our units are non smoking. We do ask that guests do not smoke near the building. We had asked the gentleman smoking the cigars to move away from the building as it bothered the staff as well. Although our hotel does sit on the main street of Traverse City, unfortunately there is not much we can do to control road noise. I do believe the Knights Inn of TC sits even closer to the road and are also only motel rooms verses condos. And yes, all of our 1bd condos do only have showers which are standard size. As for the property lit like a prison yard. Although it is code to have sufficient lighting to our hotel parking lot for safety and liability reasons. We are looking into if the parking lot lights can be turned away from the building. We here at the North Shore hope that you would join us again in your next stay to TC.