“2nd Northshore Inn stay - not so good”
Review of North Shore Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Traverse City
North Shore Inn
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 1 August 2010

This is our second trip to the Northshore Inn, last time was 4 years ago and we had a great experience. This time we stayed in a Poolside room(all they had available) and it was disgusting. It smelled like cigarettes and was just not very clean. My son has severe allergies so he had to go stay in my parents room so he would not get sick. The pool also wreaked of chlorine and if you did not have goggles on and went under your eyes would burn for about an hour. The beach was still great for the kids and location is good. Unfortunately due to the pool and the room, we will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MarriedinMexico07

Reviewed 14 January 2010

I've been going to the north shore in for as long as I can remember for the cherry festival. what a pleasant hotel, the beaches scenery is so beautiful it almost makes me cry. the pool is fun to take a dip in after a nice ride or walk around Traverse cities downtown area, and I always have a magnificent time with my family. I love to just look out the window at the sunset over lake michigan, its just so spectacular. (please excuse my spelling)

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Michigan_girl4
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We just got back from the North Shore Inn and found our stay to be mostly pleasant. There aren’t many places on the bay that have a beach, kitchenette and heated outdoor pool so this place certainly does hit all those marks. The two things which could be improved upon are their private beach and the smoking that goes on around the property. Their beach is somewhat lacking, not so much in size but that it’s really succumbed to the marsh grasses growing around the place. Once you get beyond them it’s really not all that big of a deal but other beaches around the bay look a lot better and feel more comfortable. The Inn seems to pride itself on being smoke free, however there is plenty of that going on between the main office and the guest rooms. It's especially annoying since the staff/cleaning staff partake in it. So much so that even when they're gone the area still smells of cigarettes. The rooms are nicely decorated and the kitchen has it all. The condo is cleaned ever day, but it’s a light cleaning. I don’t think the vacuum ever goes underneath the beds and the pull out sofa looked pretty dusty under the cushions. Management needs to remove the returnable bottles that accumulate behind the office more often as it makes the place look a little shabby. When we were there, a large stack of six packs hung out for the whole week.

All in all I would consider going back since we didn’t mind too much putting up with the minor annoyances, however, perhaps only after we try out the other places that offer a beach, kitchen and pool as well.

Otherwise, Grand Traverse Bay and the surrounding area was awesome!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Great location right on the beach. Stayed in two bedroom two bath unit.. lots of room , clean with a capecod theme and close to town. will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2008

very nice place to stay We stayed in the two bedroom two bath
room .very clean great view of the bay I would stay here again

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed at the North Shore Inn in July 2006 (see previous review "A Delightful Place to Stay," at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g42758-d258360-r5908374-North_Shore_Inn-Traverse_City_Michigan.html).

I gave it the same overall rating for this visit but we're not quite as satisfied as we were last time. We had one additional traveler with us this time, so we booked a third-story two-bedroom unit. All of these units have two levels. The first floor has the kitchen, a small bathroom with shower, living room, bedroom, and private balcony. The second floor is a master suite, with a large bedroom, large bathroom, and its own private balcony.

The other descriptions from the earlier review still fit but there are things that just didn't sit right on this trip (or maybe we overlooked from the 2006 stay):

1. This property, and most others in the East Bay area, is right on US31. That road must have more traffic on it than two years ago because we noticed the noise a lot during this stay.

2. The beach is as we remember but seemed lacking this time when you realize how narrow it is right at the waterline.

3. North Shore claims they have WiFi. They do, just don't expect to use it from your room. We had to go outside and stand near the stairwells to get a usable signal. Sometimes, the best signal was from the hotel next door (Pointes North Inn). Another guest, who saw me near the stairwell, commented that she had spent hours on the phone with Dell's tech support because she assumed something was wrong with her computer.

4. The first-floor bedroom is tiny. At least one dresser drawer in each bedrrom was broken and unusable.

We will try another property the next time we go to Traverse City.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I just returned from my 3 night 4 day trip to Traverse City, and my first stay at the North Shore Inn... and I would unquestionably return there (the hotel). For the money I paid - about $80 a night - there is NO better place to be found in the area (and as one working with an extremely tight budget, I certainly looked).
My travel companion and I stayed in one of the smallest units they offer (a one bedroom, one bathroom condo). Our room was on the second floor, and close to the elevator and one of the 2 stairwells. Our room (like all of them) had a private patio/balcony that did have a view of the East Bay. There were three chairs and a small table on the balcony. For anyone wishing to fully enjoy this feature, I do recomend bug spray and/or citronella candles (2 small candles did the trick for us in the evenings).
There was a full closet with shelves for our things, a dresser and a nightstand. There was also a closet in the hallway for coats and suitcases, etc. I was excited to find extra hangers provided by the inn. There was a digital alarm clock too.
The kitchen was basically fully equipped. Ours came with a fridge and freezer (with three ice trays!), electric stove, functioning fan above the stove, full sized oven, a half sized dishwasher (powder detergent provided), split sink (dish soap provided), microwave, 3 cooking pots with lids ranging from tiny to larger, 2 frying pans, 1 large and 1 small glass casserole dish, 3 different sized mixing bowls, 3 sizes of drinking glasses, one set of stemware, large dinner plates, small dessert plates, 2 sizes of bowls, coffee cups, and coffee saucers (for 4-5), a toaster, utensils for 4 (there were some extra ones above the freezer + what I think was a large salad bowl), a can opener, 2 spatulas, a whisk, potato masher, bottle opener, cork, strainer, measuring cups and spoons, tea kettle, coffee maker, and some other cooking utensils that I'm sure I'm forgetting. The only spices provided were salt, pepper, and packets of sugar & coffee mix. It had basically everything I wanted when I cooked in the room - we made all our meals and snacks in the room besides lunch. I would have liked a few more forks, but that's just a personal issue. If you're a neat freak and don't like using the same towel to wash the dishes with each day, you might want to bring a few rags from home - only 1 wash cloth and one drying towel were provided (though perhaps if we'd opted for maid service rather than leaving the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, we may have gotten more...). Towels are available for exchange only - this is what a sign said on our way to the pool (which was heated - though not overwhelming). We wished we had a cookie sheet and could have used more trash bags. (Guests are in charge of taking their own trash out to the dumpster on the property - neither horribly smelly nor a long walk - the parking lot is rather small, though we never had trouble finding a space)
The bathroom was small, but it worked. The shower was just a stand up shower stall, and the water pressure could have been better. Also a touch more hot water would have been nice at times, but really it was fine. If you're planning for steamy shower scenes with your significant other, this might not be the best hotel for you. There was a hairdryer in the bathroom that worked better than my one at home. Perhaps in the other units, the bathroom fan actually functions, though owing to the small size of the bathroom the steam cleared out quickly.
The living room was the largest room in the small condo. It had a pullout couch, lamps, coffee table, easy chair (did not recline), and automan, VCR, DVD player (the hotel is DIRECTLY across the street from a Family Video), basic cable (OLD TV, but it worked just fine) (also a small, newer tv in the bedroom), table and chairs for 4 to eat. There was enough space in this room to park our 2 bicycles and still be able to manuver the room just fine.
A note on the size of the room: While this room has a 4 person occupancy (due to the pullout couch), I would recommend that families or groups of traveling companions get one of the 2 bedroom units. It was very small, but just perfect for us as a couple since the living room stayed the living room and wasn't used for sleeping.
Other guests have complained about the beach on this site. When we stayed, it was as the mangagement explained, cleared off for guests at the hotel to enjoy. There are marsh grasses (whatever they are called) growing along either side of the sandy stretch, but they won't really affect your time on the beach. For people planning to wander the "miracle mile" I'd recommend they go to another area beach, because this sand, grass, sand, grass pattern is present at all the hotels in the area. You could walk along the bay, but might need to stay in the water to do so.
This hotel is about 4 miles from downtown Traverse City. It is very close to the bike path (accross the street behind the Family Video and Walgreens) that can take bikers into town/along the water. The hotel was very easy to find and turn into coming from either direction (thanks to the left turn lane).
The staff in the office were helpful with all our questions about the area.
They have wireless internet that is not yet advertised on their website.
For the money, this place is far superior to other area hotels! For the same price, you could stay at a travelodge or holiday inn, get a standard room with nothing but a bed, tv, and bathroom and not even be on the water. If you don't mind being a little cramped, this is the place to be!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple