“Can't wait to stay here again!!”
Review of Traverse Bay Inn

Traverse Bay Inn
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights based on positive reviews for our 19th wedding anniversary.. We were not disappointed. We stayed in a suite that had 2 bedrooms. One bedroom had a jacuzzi tub which was very nice. The suite woudl have been large enough for at least 4 people, complete with a small kitchen. The bed was very comfortable!!! One thing we really enjoyed was using the bikes and riding along the wonderful bike trail. We took several long bike rides. The inn is also in a nice location where you can walk to different restraunts. We can't wait to come back with our boys so they can enjoy the bike trail and all of the nearby attractions.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank banjoman32147

Reviewed 20 July 2011

Would like to say how pleasantly surprised I was. I booked the room in the morning for that evening. The room was the least expensive and I apologized to my husband for what we might find, justifying that "all we need is a bed and a shower." Had a bit of a problem finding it, even with a GPS (operator error I'm sure) but my husband was tired from driving and just wanted to get there. The owner (I assume) was very kind and helped me feel better about taking my husband on a wild goose chase. Upon entering the room, the first thing that caught my attention was that it smelled of stale smoke but we got past that quickly. It is a bit dated, but was stunned by it's spaciouness I really like the fact that is not one of those
cookie cutter chains with paper thin walls. We could have easily slept 6. Television in both bedrooms and the sitting room. The lay out was great with the downstairs bedroom at.the back away fom the parking lot. We had dinner with family from the area and they were stunned at the deal we got. We will recommend this place and definitely stay here again when we come to town.

2  Thank Junebug087
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed here over the July 4th weekend and loved it! We were extremely lucky that there was a cancellation. We had our 9 lb dog with us, but I am always leary of dog friendly hotels because of cleanliness and smell. My dog is totally trained and doesn't shed. This hotel was so clean that you would never know it was dog friendly. The manager (who was at the front desk) was so nice and helpful. The pool area was clean and nice also! Location was great too-about 4-5 miles from downtown area, on the same road.
We will be back to stay there soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2011

We couldn't be happier with our recent 2-night stay. Our anniversary excursion to visit the wineries on Old Mission and Leelanau landed us in Traverse City. This also happened to fall during the annual Cherry Festival, when Traverse City is FULL, and reservations were hard to find as we planned our accommodations in late June. Securing the last available room at the Traverse Bay Inn was PERFECT for the two of us! Our upstairs "studio" room was clean, quiet, and looked out over the peaceful small wood behind the Inn. The staff was friendly, attentive and professional. The included kitchenette allowed us to enjoy breakfast without having to venture out, and being slightly removed from the downtown area made our stay relaxing and stress-free. We DEFINITELY will return, and HIGHLY recommend the Traverse Bay Inn to everyone staying in or around Traverse City.

1  Thank gordon391
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My wife and I decided to take a trip up to Michigan to visit the Sleeping Bear Dunes and we selected the Bay Inn due to it's low price and favorable rating on Trip Advisor.

We were happy to have some time alone without the kids but were elated to find a great hotel that would have been great for the entire family. The pool was very nice and we had a stove, microwave, refrigerator and table and chairs that would serve as a great base of operations for excursions in and around Traverse City. The hotel also offers bicycles for it's guest to borrow for small trips around the hotel and down to the beach.

Jeff the owner/manager was very nice and even helped us find a great local restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swoopdawg
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We recently stayed here on our mini vacation to the Traverse City area. We have two small children, so we really liked the idea of a suite where we could put the kids in a separate room. The price (especially the midweek one) is very reasonable for the space you get. It felt like a small apartment as opposed to a motel room. The staff here is very friendly and you can tell they care about their guests.

There are a few things you should be aware of before booking. The main one is due to the fact that the facility is a little older, the doors/walls are not very sound proof and voices and/or cigarette smoking from outside the door travel in easily. Our bedrooms were in the back so it wasn't a huge issue, but it was noticeable in the living area which was up front. There is also a slight odor of mustiness that is probably due to the fact that the facility (and perhaps the carpet?) has been around for awhile. It is not overpowering but is noticeable. They have made a few updates, especially with the TVs which are flat screen. The one upstairs even had a built in DVD player.

The bedrooms are good sized but the bathroom is quite small. There is no storage in the bathroom but there was a large storage closet across from the bathroom where you can keep your toiletries. The kitchen area was well stocked. The only thing we had to buy besides food was paper towels.

The beds are comfortable and have white duvets as opposed to the dated comforters you see in the pictures on the website, which was a pleasant surprise. Our duvet had a few spots that looked yellowed, which may have been from bleaching as I feel that the cleaning staff works pretty hard. The bathroom and tub were clean.

All in all, if you need space and function over luxury, as we did, this is the place for you. I feel like the mid week price is a bargain and the weekend rate is a little higher than it's worth, but that it averaged out over our stay. It fulfills an important need for groups/families on a budget and I'm glad it is there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MIMom2Two
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I'd like to say "you get what you pay for" and live with it. Normally we stay at somewhat higher priced places. This time, however, we went lower priced as we were only going to be in the hotel for sleeping.

DO NOT GO HERE. Almost anything is better. Floors are damp and dirty. Read all the reviews about people having their socks turn black...its true. Our room had a constant strong odor, like a wet dog. We opened all the windows, turned on the fans, informed the office, who volunteered to spray air freshener. (Does spraying clean scent over a dirty place change anything?) and left for a few hours. Came back and no change.

The refrigerator didn't work so they dropped off a backup one that was so small it couldn't even shut with a takeout container in it.

Main problem is the smell and the floors. Its very distracting because its so obvious you spend time wondering what you CAN'T see. Are these sheets clean? Is there a drowned rat under this toilet seat? Did the last kid pee from one end of the hall to the other....with all his brothers?

Some amenities may not be worth paying for at any hotel, depending on the individual. However, no hotel in a resort town should actually reek, regardless of the price/value. Stay away. The nostrils you save could be your own.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank ADFocht
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

I must say it is very disheartening to read your comments about my Inn and I am very sorry to have not met your expectations. My staff and I are devastated by a review such as yours and will do whatever is necessary to correct any possible real issues related to your experience. We take great pride in what we do here and will continue our endeavor to provide the best experience possible for our many returning and new guests alike. Your choice of words and the further implications you brought forth are, however, beyond comment. I do wish you the best and truly hope that your next travel experience is a pleasant one. – Jeff W, Owner, Traverse Bay Inn