“Value beyond expectation!!!”

Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Value beyond expectation!!!”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Check in was a breeze, but make sure that you arrive in time or make arrangements if arriving late as the office closes at 9pm in the shoulder season. It's well located on US 31 not to far from downtown and a mile or so from the state park. The unit is nothing phenomenal, but has all that you need and more. It was spotlessly clean and well maintained. For the price we paid in September, I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality, and will return on my next trip to TC.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rmtemp77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cadillac, Michigan
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This was the worse experience I have ever had with any hotel. I book my room well in advance. My husband and I were planning on staying there for one night after our wedding that day. I booked a jacuzzi suite and really needed it. We planned our wedding in one month and did everything ourselves including the food. We were up at 6 am and had a great day. When we arrived at Traverse Bay Inn no one was in the registration office. We called the number on the door and spoke with a gentleman who identified himself as the owner. He proceeded to tell us that someone had checked in under my name and that they had not given a new credit card. He did assure me that he wouldn't charge my card however it is still labor day and who knows if that is the case. He didn't bother to come to the hotel to sort out the matter and his only solution was to offer us to stay in a room in the manager suite where someone else was currently already staying. After almost falling asleep on the ride up to Traverse City from Cadillac, we were further disappointed to find out that there were literally no more rooms available in Traverse City. So we had no other chose than to drive home even more tired and almost fell asleep several times on the way home. I recommend that no one give this hotel their money. This was the worst and the owner was not very apologetic at all. allowing someone to check in under my name I am sure is fraud.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Charity N
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
I would again like to offer my most sincere apologies for your whole unfortunate experience. We certainly feel terrible and please try to understand that we do not intentionally want to ruin anyone’s vacation let alone a special night like you had planned. We had no idea it was your wedding day or of any late arrival plans and would have liked to have worked with you earlier as we always try to make those kinds of special stays and arrivals even more special for our guests. That certainly did not happen on this occasion. When we make mistakes we do try our best to "make it right" but sometimes there are few acceptable solutions available. Considering your near midnight arrival and subsequent phone call on one of the busiest days of the year my offer of a free room, although I realize not the same room you in fact booked, unfortunately was the best I could think of under the circumstances as I knew from trying to help other travelers earlier that evening that finding an appropriate room in another hotel at that late hour would be impossible. My attempt to contact you after the incident and before reading this review and my stated further offer to you still stands. Once again my staff and I are sorry to have been a part of such a disappointing experience for you and your husband.
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I booked this room for a last minute trip for my daughter and myself. The one bedroom is awesome and we truly felt like a home away from home. The room was spotless, couch and bed comfortable, kitchenette came in handy, ice cold AC. I really like having a bedroom as my daughter was able to go to bed while I stayed up later. This would be a great option for families with small children. We brought an air mattress so one could sleep in the living room area. Oh and the closets are huge, you could fit a twin air mattress in each closet. Very quite and great location. I wanted to stay another night but no vacancy being Labor Day weekend. We are already planning a color trip for Fall, and I won't be staying any where else!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Just got home from two nights at Traverse Bay Inn and can't wait to return.
The rooms were stocked well with everything you could want and were clean.
The outdoor pool/hot tub area was clean and enjoyable.
Owner was very gracious. Our next trip to Traverse City will definitely be at
the Traverse Bay Inn.

Tina

Walled Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Whether you are on vacation as a family, couple, single or in the Grand Traverse area on business, the Traverse Bay Inn is a great place to stay if you want to bypass the multi-level, high end (and pricey) "strip resorts". Jeff and Chris offer a very comfortable, clean and FUN in with some features I appreciate...cute in-room kitchenette (sometimes I like to just make a quick breakfast and head out early or take a picnic lunch to one of the beautiful area beaches..saves $$ and I don't have to interrupt my beach time going to a restaurant)...comfortable beds (no fear of bed bugs here!!)... nice tub/shower..flat screen T.V. in living area and bedroom...windows that open with screens (for that frsh northern air) and a beautiful poll area surrounded by trees. Just a few minutes from the State Park beach, downtown Travers City fun and the gorgeous cherry and wine country, the Traverse Bay Inn is a great choice to call your home away from home when enjoying the "good life" Up North! C.A. from Walled Lake, MI

Room Tip: Very clean, comfortable
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
El Dorado Springs, MO
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Although located on a busy highway, the motel is surrounded by trees so that the view from the bedrooms is that of nature. The pool and hot tub are attractively landscaped. The units are well maintained and very clean.

The unit is equipped with a medium-sized refrigerator, a 4 burner stove with oven and broiler, and all the dishes and pans needed for cooking. In addition, a grill is located near the pool. A small living/kitchen area, bath, and one queen bedroom is downstairs with two double or queen beds upstairs.

The unit is quite comfortable to live in for several days. The self-service laundry is the cheapest I've seen in 10+ years: $1.00 for washing and $.50 for drying!

Jeff, the owner, gave us excellent recommendations for dining, buying smoked whitefish, and driving excursions in the area.

If we come to Traverse City again, we will definitely stay here. The Inn is located across the street from a city park on the bay. There is no sand beach, but there are benches allowing you to watch activities in the shallow water of the bay.

2 Thank RetiredEngTeacher
Defiance, OH
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We love Traverse Bay Inn.....it offers a clean, comfortable, and convenient place to stay, that includes a full kitchen and living room area that is seperate from the comfy bedroom. . Hot tub and pool also very nice. The staff was very helpful and friendly. And all at a very reasonable price. We will definitely return!!