“Getting you moneys worth”
Review of Traverse Bay Inn

Traverse Bay Inn
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Clawson, MI
“Getting you moneys worth”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

It seems we could have paid more or paid less to stay at any one of the several hotels in Traverse City, but for our intentions, the Traverse Bay Inn was ideal and yes, we would go back in a heartbeat. My wife, my son, myself and our dog were on a visit to see a friend. The hotel allows dogs, is located directly across from the beach public access and even had a small kitchen so we didn't have to go out every time someone got hungry. In addition the pool was a perfect temperature and there were even bikes for us to use if we wanted. I don't think they put mints under the pillows and the busy road may have bothered me if we stayed longer, but other than that I cannot say anything bad about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
bothell, wa
Reviewed 27 June 2009

For $155.00 per night plus tax you can find a much nicer motel, we did. They have old loud air conditioners that leak down the walls. The rooms are dark. The bathroom is so tiny it's impossible to share with anyone. The carpets where so dirty that the bottom of my white sock where black. The pool is nice but very small. The hot tub had so much chlorine in it that it was unusable. The people where nice and friendly. They also ding your credit card for the full charge at check in instead of check out so if you have any issues that could be a problem. The place is way over priced.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this review, 12 February 2010
Thank you for your comments. We always take any feedback as an important tool to help guide our improvement at the Traverse Bay Inn. We are very sorry for your unfortunate experiences and are very sorry that we could not have helped you with your concerns during your stay. Please except out most sincere apologies and do consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in an appropriate manner at a future time.
detroit
Reviewed 7 May 2009

This was my second time staying in this charming motel. We took the large jacuzzi sweet and it was wonderfull. Very large 'townhome' style rooms, very clean and the staff is excellent. My fiancee and I wanted to go for a bike ride and even though the bikes were put away for the night ( they have some for use, for free!) Jeff told us to take them, gave us a map for the beautiful bike/ jogging/ walking trail (paved) and let us keep them as long as we wanted. This was the first time my fiancee had been to Traverse City and we are looking at our schedules to see how fast we can make it back there!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 24 January 2009

I was looking for reasonable lodging for a few days while cross-country skiing at the VASA trails. I hoped to find a room with a microwave so I could heat food for simple meals. I also wanted a reasonable price. What I found was all this and more. I found a "kitchenette" that was more than most kitchenettes--sofa, table, flat-screen television, stove, refrigerator, and a full complement of pans, dishes, and silverware. Also lots of closet space. And a comfortable bedroom. For four nights I could not have been more pleased. With all its space, it was much like staying in a nice, modern cabin. The space was very clean, and it was evident that the entire property was well-maintained. On top of all this, the owner/host was most gracious. His friendly hospitality made him a host and elevated him far above the desk clerk one usually encounters at a motel. For example, he gladly took the time to give me excellent tips on restaurants favored by the locals.

People should recognize, as the owner told me, that this kind of lodging is not for everyone. Those who want lavish four- or five-star type accomodations will not find them here. Nor will everyone want suites with kitchenettes for preparing simple meals. But those who want clean, better-than-basic accomodations along with excellent owner hospitality will likely be quite satisfied.

Although not near downtown Traverse City, downtown is easily accessible. One note worth making--turning left from the property exit can require patience during rush-hour traffict time. The same comment would apply to exiting any property along this highway.

Stayed January 2009
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I personally logged a lot of internet hours trying to decide where to stay for our Traverse City vacation. I went on TC's visitor page and signed up for special deals, etc. on hotels and such, and they sent me a email announcing their Fab Fall Package. The prices on the area hotels I found to be exceptional, and chose Traverse Bay Inn. We phoned the hotel directly, and set everything up with Jeff (one of the owners) who is a really nice guy.
The room was more pleasant than we expected. We had the jacuzzi suite, which felt more like a little apartment than a hotel room.
The top floor has the jacuzzi; a king size bed; clothes closet; TV; nightstand; telephone, and skylight.
The first floor has a breakfast table; kitchenette; pull-out sofa; a separate bedroom with huge closet; TV; nightstand, and telephone. The bathroom is also located on the first floor which has a full tub with shower.
With the bedroom window open, the sweet scent of the pine trees is fantastic. And the view is like being in the woods. A nice extra here is the free bikes you can take out on the TART trail. It's a bit of a drive to downtown from here, but neither my wife nor myself considered that a negative.
Overall, we both were very happy with our stay here. Thank you, Jeff.

• Liked — The convenience of having a kitchenette, and the overall spaciousness.
  • Disliked — The bathroom was a little on the small side.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Valparaiso, IN
Reviewed 10 July 2008

This is an excellent place to stay... we came during the Cherry Festival. Although it is a bit away from downtown, the huge rooms, pool, hot tub, and staff make it worthwhile. There were two tv's in our room ... one in the living room and another in the bedroom. Worth the stay!

• Liked — Huge rooms!
  • Disliked — Distance from festival and downtown
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
ferndale, MI
Reviewed 29 May 2008

All these bad reviews scared the crap out of me, but considering the good ones, the slim pickens on rooms because of the marathon and high season in TC, and our needs (to sleep 6 economically and close to the race, I choose to take the chance.

Im glad I did! We split the $400 for three nights fee between the six of us. What a bargan! The room was not sexy our luxury, it was comfortable and had great utility. It had a full kitchentte stocked with dishes, toaster ect. We made half our meals in the room and went out for half. The staff was friendly.

If your looking for housing for a group for bayshore next year, or any other local sporting, or outdoors event, check this place out.

• Liked — Price, location, had everything we needed
  • Disliked — futon was terrible, if you need to use it, bring a blow up mattress to top it. It worked great as a couch though
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)