“Great Family Time”

Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Great Family Time”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently enjoyed two nights at Great Wolf Lodge! Water Park was a lot of fun for the whole family. Good variety of things to keep kids and adults entertained. Lifeguards were extremely attentive and made you feel safe. My daughter took part in the Junior lifeguard course in the morning and loved learning about what the Lifeguards do and some techniques. We also enjoyed Magiquest, which kept the kids occupied for hours!! Great value for the game!

• Stayed March 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge with my extended family (14 total people) to celebrate my mom's birthday. We stayed in 2 Kid Cabin Suites. Although the rooms were spacious, they were extremely run down. The pull out couch was awful to sleep on. The second night my husband took the couch cushions (which were ripped and torn) and slept on those. I was 23 weeks pregnant and my back is still recovering from that pull out. I don't think the mattress has been changed since the hotel opened.
Our kids were very disappointed that they did not have DVD players. The TVs were old and only had VHS (which we don't even own and can't even buy at the local Meijer).
The restaurant, ice cream shoppe and gift shop are all overpriced. The snack bar in the water park is definitely overpriced as well. We brought food and ate mostly in our room which did work out okay.
We did have a great time at the water park. There was plenty to do to keep all the kids entertained (age 16 mos to 8 yo). I don't think older kids would have had as much fun. The water was warm and we never got cold (although it was 75 degrees outside too).
The biggest downfall,,,,ouf ot the 14 people, 6 came home sick. 2 (including myself) ended up with pink eye, the others had colds and respiratory stuff. Makes me seriously question how clean the water really was (as twice attractions were shut down b/c someone had gone #2).
Overall, we had a good weekend, but would probably not go back.
We did have a great time in the waterpar

1 Thank Sarah J
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. I appreciate all feedback and your concerns have been noted and shared with my team.

In regards to the cleanliness of our water, the health and safety of our guests is our number one priority. We use liquid chlorine to disinfect, along with Ozone to lower combined chloramines to assist with the effectiveness of the chlorine. The water runs through high-rate sand filtration systems to collect debris and keep it from recirculating back in to the pools.

Please call the lodge directly to discuss our water safety policies and your stay in more detail. 231-941-3600

Best Wishes,
Chris Ballou
London, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I should start off by saying that this is our fourth trip to a Great Wolf Lodge (3 times in Michigan and 1 in Niagara Falls). And once again, we had a great time!!

My daughter and I went to the GWL with another mom, her twins and (just because we're so smart) we brought along a babysitter.

Since my daughter is 8 and she doesn't want to spend every minute with me, I loved the number of lifeguards on duty and their attentiveness. I never had to worry about her and her friends. All the rest of the staff were equally attentive and helpful. The water park is well laid out with sections for a variety of ages. Yes, it is very warm in there (84 degrees) and yes, it is very loud in there. But relax, you're on vacation. Let the kids have some fun.

I did get to use the gym while I was there, though with all the stairs we climbed to ride the water slides I could have skipped it. There was a good selection of equipment and they had everything that I needed. It was quiet in the mornings which I loved. They do need to keep the young children and teenagers out of the gym without adult supervision. One morning I had to clean up a bit before I could use a treadmill.

We booked the kid cabin suite which as perfect for our group (3 kids, 1 teenager and 2 adults). It was nice that the kids had a room of their own within our room.

We bought the Paw Pass for our kids. It included a ton of activities around the hotel. The pass included MagiQuest, paint a t-shirt or pillowcase, tokens for the arcade, a glitter tattoo, etc, etc. They loved it and spread the activities out over the 3 days we were there so they always had something to do. I would recommend the Paw Pass and buy it again next time.

There's no nightlife as you'd expect from a resort that is tailored to families with young children. But there is a restaurant/bar that is open until 11 which we enjoyed. We also spent one evening sitting on the comfy couches in the lobby in front of the giant fireplace enjoying a few drinks.

We'll definitely go back to a Great Wolf Lodge, but we think we may try Ohio next time.

Room Tip: We love the Kid Cabin Suite!
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I spent 4 days at Great Wolf Lodge at this location and I have nothing but good things to say. The waterpark is ideal, they have an area for the very young and also older children. Besides the waterpark, there are additional activities - craft room for children, the "magic quest" game; We bought the Paw pass,($55.00) which includes many many items and with three children, one paw pass was enough for all three - Each one was able to get something special. This is our second year and we plan to return again next year. The breakfast buffet is very good and there are many restaurants in the near vicinity.
Yes there are lots of children - but this is a family vacation spot - not an adult resort.

Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We went with older kids. Don't. They enjoyed the waterpark. But after a couple hours we were all done. The saving grace was the MagiQuest seek and find game that had them running all over the hotel. At the end of our first day I was done with hundreds of little kids running around screaming and the noise inside is also very loud from the water itself. For what we paid, it was not worth it. I am not interested in going to another one. I was disappointed to find that the spa was so expensive too as I was hoping to escape there our second day. They had a cute more affordable package for only mothers and daughters. So that was disappointing. I was pleased with their store and the ice cream shop was great!

Room Tip: We purchased a big suite with a fireplace and bunkbeds. There was plenty of room for them to sleep...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LoveKYlivn
michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed here on a thursday because the kids were off of school. There is alot of small kids here but it was still fun for my 9 and 11 year old. They played Magic Quest ($32.00) per person because they charge you for a wand($20.00) and the game itself is ($11.99) but the kids LOVED it. and we could let them run around and be independant. (we made them stick together) The rooms all had refridgerators and microwaves so we could make our own lunches and breakfasts. We had pizza in their restaurant and it was good and cheap. ($13.00) for a large two topping. We splurged on ice cream cones too. : ) The water park has different areas for different age groups. I road the yellow slide and screamed the whole way down but I'm a big chicken. I was in the lazy river the rest of the time. The kids road everything (3 fast slides) and two slower ones. They loved the huge bucket of water that dumped every 7 minutes...my hubby love that too. overall safe, clean, and spacious. We all had a great time, ohhhh, don't forget to bring money for the arcade ( alot like chuckie cheese) you can win tickets that you turn in for prizes. My daughter won the big wolf! she loves that thing!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We visited this hotel after a seven year hiatus. Our room was ready early this time - no 2 hour wait. We had a lot of fun in the park itself, but the room is what kept me from giving it a four or five star rating. They have not updated the rooms at all, at least in the one we stayed. The TV's were the old style and the beds were horrible. The beds were used up, you sunk in the center and had to fight to get out of them. We had 3 beds (loft suite) and all three were in horrible shape that was not conducive for a good night's sleep. As far as the food was concerned, it was so-so. We decided to prepay for the breakfast buffet for 2 days ($6 saving per person) and the food was OK. We had the pizza for dinner one night and that was good.
Overall, we went for the waterpark, which was great.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family