“Great Stay :) Great Place for families”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My family and I went to Great Wolf Lodge for our Spring Break trip it was alot of fun for all. My son is autistic and he was a little overwhelmed at first but came around and had alot of fun what I loved was that there is something there for everyone in the family. We stayed in a Wolf Den suite which we got thanks to a great online upgrade for only an extra 18 bucks a night. I loved the room we where on the 2nd floor which was great we where on the same floor as the store, resturant, wolf walk,etc. We where very accesible to everything all the employees and even other guests where great. We also loved that our kids could both do things besides the waterpark. My daughter loved the Cub Club, Wolf Walk, and Magiquest, my son also seems to enjoy storytime and the Cub Club. We loved it so much we planned our next trip back for Mother's Day weekend and are trying to get more family members to go with us for a future trip in June or July :) great experience plus did I mention the spa was great too and my hubby found a distillery in town that he enjoyed so it was a great trip overall :)!!

Room Tip: try the online upgrade it starts at $18.00 a night its worth it to upgrade your suite!
2  Thank shan52782
Write a ReviewReviews (2,267)

Reviewed 24 April 2012

The hotel staff was pleasant as well as the water park staff. The amenities were adequate. However, the room was not very clean. The walls were kind of dirty and there was cereal on the floor under the table. The water park was fun, but not sure it was worth all the hype (or the price). My children, 11 & 13, had about all the fun they were going to have after about 4 hours. We ended up staying at another hotel (for less than 1/3 the cost) the rest of our stay and spent the money we saved doing other fun things around Traverse City.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jr7648661
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

I am sorry to hear that your recent stay at our lodge did not exceed your expectations. Your comments have been noted and shared with our Directory of Housekeeping.

I do appreciate the feedback and hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Chris Ballou

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We went to GWL April 13-15th, 2012 and stayed in a Wolf Den Suite. We were very disappointed! The bed had no support (it took a doctor and a chiropractor to get my back fixed). The wolf den wall paper decor was peeling off the walls. The cleaning staff never cleaned our room (no we did not have the do not disturb sign up). We found this when we returned from the water park after 8.5 hours of play. I wanted to take a shower before going out to dinner but had no towels so we called for towels and to let them know the room hadn't been cleaned. An hour later we just went to dinner without a shower because the towels still weren't delivered. Lunch for 2 kids at the water park was $27 and consisted of 2 burnt chicken tenders and a single serve pizza, some fries and sodas. All in all, I don't think we'll be going back anytime soon.

3  Thank Melissa Z

I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. I appreciate the feedback, we will take this into consideration for future improvements to the lodge.

Your comments have been noted and will be shared with my team.

Best Wishes,
Chris Ballou

Reviewed 16 April 2012

This gwl like the others ive visited is nice, hotel staff helpful and accomodating. Woman in sales mom was in the hospital but she stayed in contact with my supervisor to ensure we had arrived safely (snow storm) from Florida. Rooms as always were amazing, plenty of free parking, hotel restsurants staff and food were above average. My bartender made me a drink not on the menu (wolf punch) wow was it amazing. There was a party for the kids at sbout 8pm and i thought i was in a club. Had it not been for the duck tales looking characters and the boatload o kids, i would have completely forgotten where i was. Lol! The waterpark is smaller than other gwl but overall still great!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank mizbeautiful
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The Room:
We stayed in a Family Suite w/ Balcony on 4/06. We arrived at about 2:30pm and our room was ready shortly after checking in. We were on the main floor with a ground level patio which faced the main parking lot, so it was easy carrying our luggage from our vehicle to our room via the sliding glass door! There we 6 of us in the room and we never seemed too crowded at any point. The beds were nothing special but did the trick, and overall the room was clean and cozy.
The Waterpark:
First of all I would suggest you bring water socks/shoes if plan on spending any time in the pool and around the basketball hoops, as the bottom is very rough and tends to cut your toes and bottom of your feet. The park wasn't as crowded as I initially feared, and the longest we waited in line for a slide was 10 minutes. Everything was clean and functional so the kids didn't miss out on ANYTHING!
Food:
We ordered pizza from the resturant in the lobby and brought it back to our room for dinner. I feel we got a pretty decent bargain and everyone liked the pizza.

Overall we had a pretty good experience and will probably return in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was our family's first time at any Great Wolf and I am confident we will return to the one in Traverse City. I was impressed overall with the attentiveness and friendliness of all the park staff.
Water Park...
We watched a new hire being trained in the water park area and i can understand now how each of the young people in that area seem to be in constant watch over the children and adults in their care. Very disciplined for the most part especially where deeper water was concerned. Very clean as well. I wish the ambient temp was a little closer to the 85 degree mark since my child and many others were seen shivering. Water was excellent temp but seemed colder once walking around. Everything was in working order and bathrooms were clean.
Lodging...
We were on the 4th floor at the end of the long hallway which proved to be very helpful in minimizing noises. Room was exceptionally clean including the bathroom. Nice little balcony with table and chairs that we used to dry swimsuits ;). You also get a little extra ceiling height on the top floor as they have graciously matched the roofline.
Food...
Come with $$ and lots of it. Seems that the specialty shops have pretty good fare such as ice cream, sweets, and even Starbucks for the adults. Camp Critter breakfast buffet was the only real complaint we had during our stay. Healthy is not their priority. Fruit was not fresh, oatmeal was actually disgusting. Everything else is the usual bacon, eggs, biscuits, hashbrown fare that my 6yr old refused to eat. For the money this is a 'must avoid'. There is a Mc Donalds literally across the street that will cost you about one third and taste 3 times better.
Games...
The arcade is not as exciting as the rest of the park but it is pretty good. Next time we will definitely try the Magi Quest game that we saw literraly every one over about 7 playing. The have done a great job incorporating that game's features all around the massive lobby and surrounding areas.

We will return. The personnel and park amenities truly made it a great vacation for us.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank ElwoodTraveler
Reviewed 31 March 2012

First of all when I booked this trip I did so without reading reviews. The night before we went I read a million or so reviews and got really worried. I thought all the good reviews must have been phony and I read reviews about bed bugs, lice, run down rooms, bad service ect. Well I am a real person for all of those like me who wonder and heres my 100% honest review.

I stayed 2 nights, 3 days at the traverse city location; tuesday-thursday. There was me a 22 year old single mom, my 3.5 year old daughter, my 24 year old sister, and my 51 year old dad. (I put ages so you can see that even us young adults and older man all enjoyed it!)

CHECK IN: When we first arrived at 1230pm we figured we would have to wait a few hours before checking in so we went to ask the front desk if we could swim for awhile. Come to find out we were able to check in right then! Given that it was a weekday I'm sure its because it was slower but really nice nonetheless!

STAFF: The lady at the front desk was AMAZING!! She was so nice and helpful. I heard many bad reviews about the staff and everyone there made our trip a memorable experience. Employees that were walking around would stop and ask us if we needed anything. The woman in the Magi store made my daughter feel so special by helping her with her wand. Our server Jamie in the rest. was the best server i've ever had anywhere (Im a waitress as well so I'm a tough critic). The older woman in the Cub Club got all of us parents involved in making masks and doing this howling thing. The lifeguards were patient with my impatient 3 year old ^_^ they helped her wait her turn and if she was scared at first they would talk her through it. I think that if you go on a weekend or during spring break/busy season, the staff may get a little annoyed because they are trying to deal with the 1000+ kids running around but thats to be expected and most people should understand. If you arent understanding then go during the week when the place isn't as crowded!

WATERPARK: I heard people say it is small and whatnot but for having a 3 year old I wouldnt want it being much bigger. I think all the activities in the waterpark were great for a 2-12 year old. The lilly pads were so much harder to do than it looks but so much fun. The fort is huge and my daughter loved exploring it. The slides were fun and fast! Plus its really warm in there so no worries about the little ones catching a cold! Also, the little pool for the infants/toddlers was warmer than any other pool which I thought was fantastic since they are more susceptible to getting cold. In the summer there is also an outdoor pool, rock climbing wall and putt putt golf course!

ROOMS: We stayed in the basic room and it was perfect and probably works for a family of 4-5. I didn't think it was run down at all or noisy. We stayed on the second floor and I highly recommend that floor.

ACTIVITIES: The spa is too pricey in my opinion but the Magi game, cub club, and arcade are priced perfectly. Some people believe too expensive but compared to Disney where we usually travel, I think its great. All the activities are aimed again for ages 2-12 and my daughter loved that she could use her wand to make things talk and open w/o playing a quest. BUY THE PAW PASS!!!!!!!!!!! SO WORTH EVERY PENNY SPENT!!!!!!!!!!

FOOD: The food there is yummy. Try the wiley wrap with extra dressing, soooo good! The kids food prices are a bit high but they come with furry ears or a tail which I thought was cute. If you dont want to eat there, they can bring the food to your room or there are numerous pizza places that will deliever. Plus a mikki ds is right across the street.

OVERALL: The staff, waterpark, and activities made this mini vacation one to remember. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars! We are already planning a weeks stay in Sept for my daughters bday :) If the Lodge could add an area to wash feet after going to the bathroom and make that bathroom hallway less freezing, I'd rate this a 10 out of 5 ;) Either way, we loved it and cannot wait to go back!! As a single mom and waitress I think most of the stuff is affordable and if you just save up abit you will have enough to do so much. OH and its only 5 minutes from a beach on lake MI so you can always spend a day there too!

Room Tip: Second floor in the 250's is the quietest and most convenient ;)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family