“Nice water park, fun for kids.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 23 November 2013

What they do they do pretty good. I was very glad we only booked one night b/c it was plenty. We enjoyed the water park, & it was a busy Saturday, seemed to be quite full, but the lines to wait for slides were not bad. This place is 100% about kids & boy do the kids dig it. For me it was just too much, like some kind of sugar overload. Maybe it is the scent they pump into the lobby. The arcade was fun, not unreasonably priced. We did not try the bowling. Our room was clean, it had a plastic log cabin built into a corner w/ bunk beds, my 5 year old thought it was neat. It's noisy, kids run the halls, jump from their bunks, but that really is to be expected. We did go to the story hour, it was kind of a dud, unable to hear the gal telling the story.

We were warned to take some flip flops & a couple bathing suits. I was glad that we did. I would have liked some of those vibram 5 finger shoes so I could have worn something on my feet while on that cement floor & while going on the slides.

I guess I'm getting old b/c my tolerance for this type of big theme type fun is pretty low. I had to keep reminding myself this is what kids like & they are having fun. I'd do it again with kids for a one nighter.

1  Thank mrobs08
Write a ReviewReviews (2,332)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

My family travels to the Great Wolf Lodge once a year for the past 8 years. I noticed a lot of improvements on our last trip. The beds and carpet, in our room, was new. My kids enjoyed the new bowling alley. They have a new style tubes on one of the slides. Food is about the same, but I see they are doing better "specials".

Cost - The Great Wolf is not a inexpensive place to visit. Since we only go once a year I expect to spend a little more than what I usually plan for family trips. Between the food, arcade, bowling, Magi-Quest and the gift shop(s), it is pretty easy to blast through your budget.

Will be back again, See you next year !

Room Tip: You are tempted to get a room close to the water park. I suggest the top floor away from the elevato...
1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We took our first trip to GWL in Traverse City when my eldest daughter was 2-1/2 years old and my youngest was just 8 weeks. We were looking to get away without really getting away. We're just 3 hours from Traverse City, so it's a convenient weekend getaway. My eldest loved it so much that we've returned every year in November and sometimes twice a year! My girls just took their 6th trip there in 5 years and each year they've found new things to do. The water park is still the favorite, with activities for kids from infant up through probably 10-12. There's a great variety within the park and even an adults-only hot tub when you just want to spend 10-15 minutes away from the kids!

When they were younger, story time was a huge hit with them. How great to be encouraged to wear your pajamas and slippers down to story time after a long, hard day playing in the water park! And from time to time they've had special events during story time - with cookies and this visit even a dance contest to celebrate the birthday of one of the characters. As the girls have grown, they've become more interested in the Magic Quest and enjoy that adventure interspersed with the water park. And how cool that their magic wands make some of the characters come to life!

The rooms are quite spacious. My girls have really enjoyed the bunk beds. It's nice to have good counter space and refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers in each room. We can enjoy breakfast in the room and even lunch, if we're wanting to chill out. The restaurant's food is quite good, although a little pricey in my opinion. $8-9 for a kids meal is kind of steep!! Even if it does come with wolf ears.

We "shop" and wait for deals, so the room prices aren't quite as bad, but it isn't a cheap weekend. I suppose if you consider the water park is "free" it's not so bad, but I try to time the deals and book early as soon as the specials come out- because the prices go up as the rooms fill up.

The staff is very friendly and always extremely helpful. They are responsive to needs in the rooms - extra pillows, blankets, etc. These things always come up pretty quickly. I'm disappointed they recently did away with "real coffee mugs" in the rooms and now only have plastic and Styrofoam cups. I liked having mugs for my coffee and instant oatmeal in the mornings! And they really stress environmental responsibility and recycling, so it was a bit of a surprise when they put MORE disposable stuff in the rooms, rather than stressing use of ceramic mugs!

One year we even went for Thanksgiving. The hall was wonderfully decorated and the food was quite good. I've decided, though, that Thanksgiving is meant to be spent in my own home cooking my own turkey with a lot of family around! But it was nice to try for a year (and not have to cook)!

Overall, we've loved watching our girls grow at this hotel. We'll probably continue the "tradition" until the girls outgrow the activities. It will be an annual family trip they'll remember, though!

1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at GWL Traverse City in November on a Friday and Saturday night. Pros- staff was friendly. Room was spacious and clean. Cons- very expensive! We paid almost $400 a night. We were given a room on the 1st floor, which I initially was very excited about. However at 7am I wasn't. Hibernation hours are from 11pm-7am, which is very respected. At 6:57am though the running, jumping, etc starts. When you are on vacation, changing time zones and you are woken up at 5:57am your time, it's frustrating. Housekeeping even starts knocking at your door before 8am asking if you want housekeeping today. This is not GWL fault, however the other patrons of this establishment prank called our room once on Friday night at 12am and all day on Saturday. I had to call the front desk to have our phone turned off. I have stayed at other indoor water parks which are family geared (Key Lime Cove, Fort Wilderness, Timber Ridge Lodge) and I have never experienced this before. I'm not sure if I will be back to GWL however if I am, I will clearly state to be placed on the top floor.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank a9875
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Good value and we had the place to iurselves. Word of caution the Arcade is a horrible waste of time. The games are overpriced. But everything else here is such a good value. Also dont go to the Dunkin Donuts early in the mornibg they have no dinuts or bagels. The front desk staff are polite and very helpful. The lifeguards are also polite and I commend them as with so few guests I can see how it could become boring and they can become distracted. But they were on top of things and focused.Overall It was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent a weekend at GWL with the Michigan Snowmobile Association annual convention. We decided to bring along our 3 1/2 yr old granddaughter. The entire resort is geared to kids! She had a great time - from the water park to the Cub Club and the story times and all the characters. I was hesitant to purchase a Pup Pass but we went ahead and purchased it. She loved getting to wear the lanyard and going to each of the places to pick her own gifts from the list on the back of the pass. Oliver, the raccoon is her constant companion these days. At first it seemed like an expensive package but in the end we realized it gives the kids the ability to pick things on their own within the parameters of the pass! Brilliant!!! No more "gimme gimme gimme"! GREAT weekend and we are planning another trip for the rest of family!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Lorna6750
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I found this place to be a great little water park for family fun. Even though it's a little pricey for my taste. My kids enjoyed the water activities, but not much in the way of choices for eating. Overall a a good place to visit once if your in the Northern Michigan area.

• Stayed: September 2013