“Great trip, Amazing Customer Service”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Windermere, Florida, United States
“Great trip, Amazing Customer Service”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We recently visited the great wolf lodge for the second time and had a wonderful experience from the time we clicked to reserve all the way through check out. Every touch point leading up to our stay was perfect and the smiles and genuine care and concern for our family by every employee we met was over the top. We had a great time with two kids ages 1 and 9 and will definitely be back. Always something new to discover!

3 Thank LindseyMammen
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words! It is very rewarding for our staff to receive such a glowing endorsement and recognition from our repeat guests. Our promise is that we will make time for your family and I am happy to say it looks like we kept our promise.

We look forward to hosting your family again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We come here every year with our kids ages 13, 9, and 6. The little kids like the Magiquest wand hunt and we all have fun on the water slides. We don't usually eat on the property -- we go out -- as it's a little expensive. But as far as an all around family vacation in the winter, it's spectacular. Rooms are great, clean, quiet, very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 10zub
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City! Our Mission Statement is to create family traditions, one family at a time. Thank you for making Great Wolf part of your family’s annual tradition. I am sure by now that you are all Master Magi and know the best way to play the game.

I was wondering if you have been told about our Wolf Wakeup Breakfast Package? It comes with the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, a beverage and gratuity included at a discounted price. For your family, that would save you an average of $20 each morning!

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf and we look forward to your future visits!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 23 December 2013

In November 2013, my significant other and I had the opportunity to visit Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City with a friend of mine and her two kids - ages 11 and 18. We had an absolute blast and would love to go there again if we had the chance. (My friend's daughter is in college, and she had just as much fun as her 11-year-old brother did.)

We didn't arrive at the resort until 11 p.m. on a Friday night, so the check-in process was quick and pretty easy. Our room on the 3rd floor was very nice. We went with a Family Suite (two queen-sized beds plus a pull-out sofa bed in a separate area of the room. The room was clean, comfortable, and very nice overall. We slept so well!

The indoor waterpark is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Three of us (myself, my significant other, and the 18-year-old) got up a bit earlier to have breakfast in the main restaurant: Camp Critter Bar & Grille. The restaurant wasn't terribly busy, but the service was pretty slow. No major complaints though, because we weren't in a huge hurry. The food was good. Before we went to the restaurant, we stood by the window to the waterpark and watched the 9 a.m. opening ceremony that the staff do with the kids. It's pretty cool.

The waterpark itself is a lot of fun. Lots of fun water slides and other activities, and you don't have to be a kid to enjoy it all. (Plus there is an adult-only hot tub where you can get away from the rowdiness of the kids for a little while.)

The resort in general is neat because, in addition to the restaurant/bar, they also have a Dunkin' Donuts, a gift shop, an ice cream/treat shop, arcade, and lots of other activities for kids (storytelling and more).

The check-out process on Sunday was easy and painless.

All in all, we all had a fantastic time and would love to go back again if we had a chance. It's just that a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge is pricey, so be prepared to spend a lot.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank New_friends_GR
Thank you very much for the extensive and complimentary review! It sounds like you had the ideal Great Wolf Experience while you were visiting our location in Traverse City. For your next visit, be sure to keep an eye out for promotions that are sent through e-mail as well as ones that are posted on our website for savings on your room. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Great time at the wolf lodge. This is our 6th year there. We love the holiday theme and all the activities. Great family short get away.
Fun for all ages and very moderately priced. Make your reservations today. My kids say the park rocks! Have fun!

1 Thank Wkime
Flat rock,mi
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Place is nice. Rooms were large but bathroom is small. The wall counters with sink and coffee unit was nice. TV seemed small in room . It worked fine. Chairs are not comfortable. Hard to fine plugs for lap tops had to move things. Wallpaper is coming off walls.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim J
Ludington, Michigan
Reviewed 4 December 2013

PRICE:
The price is what took me so long to book this. I'm in Ludington, MI, which is less than a 2-hour drive from Traverse, but I just couldn't swallow the cost. However, due to the timeframe we stayed, we got a decent discount (15%) on the room. It ended up being just under $300 for one night's stay. HOWEVER, once I really got to thinking about it, it was actually a great deal! Because you're able to use the water park from 1 PM on your arrival date to CLOSE on the date of your departure (9 PM on the Sunday we were there).... we actually got the room and basically 2 days worth of water park play for a family of 5 for this price. NOT BAD AT ALL!

LOCATION:
Excellent - plenty of restaurants in the area and within walking distance of a mall. Sits off the road on a big hill. We did not experience any road noise from our room.

CHECK-IN:
My family of five stayed one night at GWL in Traverse City on 11/30/13. Although check-in is 4:00, you may arrive anytime after 1 PM to collect your water park passes and play until after 4:00. We arrived at around 2 PM and as luck would have it, our room was ready. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

ROOM:
We stayed on the first floor of the facility, in a Kid Cabin Suite. Although the room was extremely clean, it was a bit smaller than I'd imagined. One thing I was disappointed in was the size of the 'master' bed, which I think was smaller than a Queen; perhaps a full sized bed. There was an electric fireplace in the main room, which was a very nice touch. I also liked the long bench with drawers that allowed ample space for luggage, keeping it off the floor. We had access to a small patio (2 chairs and a table) outside; however the view was the side of a hill and the parking lot.

Not that we came here for the TV, but at night we do like to watch a show or two, as do the kids. One thing I didn't like about the room was that the TV was small and far away from the bed (it was over the fireplace, in the corner of the room). This made it harder to see, not to mention you had to turn the volume up, and since there are no doors shutting the main room off from the Kid Cabin, you're competing with the sounds from the kids' TV.

That's another thing... when my husband and I take the kids somewhere, it's our vacation, too. We really prefer it, when paying for a suite, that the master bedroom can be shut off from the rest of the suite. The Kid Cabin is DEFINTIELY not set up for that, and looking around on the website, I don't think any of the rooms are, really. So.... if Mom and Dad are feeling frisky, well... good luck with that. :)

The 'cabin' itself was pretty small, too, but the 3 kids (7, 11 & 12) were okay with that. There are single bunk beds on one wall and one single bed on the other. There is a separate TV in there, but it is the bulky box kind, a little outdated, with a VCR instead of a DVD, but it works.

The bathroom was average as far as size, but again - VERY clean, which scores extra bonus points with me. Also I thought it was a VERY nice touch that in addition to the (Great Wolf Lodge branded) complimentary guest shampoo/soaps, there was a travel-sized bottle of Suave Smoothers Shampoo/Conditioner for kids, and a sample sized tube of kids' body wash from the Scoops! Kids Spa. In all the places we've taken our kids, I've never seen that done, and I thought it was cool. One MAJOR downfall, overall, for the bathroom, was the light was incredibly dim! I'm talking, putting-your-makeup-on-in-the-dark dim. The light above the minibar counter was not much better. That could definitely be improved upon. Not that I care about makeup at a water park, but we did leave the premises and I didn't want to look like a dud.

WATERPARK (w/ comparison to Double JJ Ranch in Rothbury):
The water park was fun. Everything was clean, and though the aroma of chlorine was in the air, it wasn't overpowering. Towels were readily available, and both times we needed one, they were warm. The temperature in the park was comfortable - not sweltering, and not freezing either. There were ample lifeguards on duty and all appeared to be very alert and attentive, not to mention one time when my husband & I came out from a slide, our raft sort of flipped... not a big deal, but to our surprise, a "Wolf Pack" member came and asked us a few questions about it so that she could see if there was a water flow issue or anything.

There are two smallish slides in the park that you can go down body-only after climbing up the fort. There are three larger slides you need a raft to go down. The large yellow one fits 2 - 3 people, and a conveyor system is used to bring the rafts up (nice that you don't have to carry it up the stairs). However, the line is incredibly slow-moving. Be prepared to wait for this one. The other two slides are for 1-2 people and the lines move much more quickly.

As we were there in Michigan winter season, I can't comment on the outdoor portion, as it wasn't available. However, I have to say that after visiting the waterpark at the Double JJ Ranch in Rothbury, MI several times, I was expecting the water park at GWL to be larger. After all, the water park is the main feature. So, that was a bit of a disappointment, but we still had a good time. My family discussed it later and we all agreed that if we had to choose between the water park at GWL or the one at Double JJ, we would roll with Double JJ for it's slightly more exciting water slides. The rest of the features are pretty much equal.

NORTHERN LIGHTS ARCADE:
Now this was a surprise to me. The past several arcades we've taken the kids to (including AJ's in Ludington, MI and Jeepers! inside Great Lakes Crossing - Auburn Hills, MI) have been a MAJOR disappointment. Half the games usually don't work, you're carrying a bunch of junk around for your kid(s), they end up with crap prizes, and Mom and Dad are irritated at wasting the money. THIS ONE WAS DIFFERENT!!!! It was clean, ALL the machines were in fine working order, and really nice prizes were offered at reasonable ticket costs. You load a card (like a credit card) with "paws" and the games take 2-6 paws (50 cents - 1.50, I think?). When you win tickets, at any time you can feed them into the ticket-taker machine, then swipe your card, and the tickets are then reflected on your 'account'! SO nice to not have to carry everything around....just don't lose the cards, or, Heaven forbid, accidentally mix them up between kids! The machines really pay out the tickets, too - almost every one of us hit a 'jackpot' of some sort. The kids ended up with really great prizes, too.

RESTAURANTS:

We did not eat at the sit-down restaurant, nor did we order anything from the cafeteria-style place inside the water park, so I can't comment on those. Dunkin' Donuts was very busy on Sunday morning but the coffee was good. The donut selection was a little lame, but convenient anyway instead of paying for a full-out breakfast.

The sweet/treat place (sorry - forgot the name) was exquisite. They sold everything from HUGE apples covered in thick caramel to candy roasted almonds to ice cream, etc. Everything we bought from there was really good.

GIFT SHOPS:

Buckhorn Exchange had lots to look at, from tee shirts to jewelry to Monster High Dolls. A fun place to shop. Prices were, you know, as you would expect from such a place, though not extremely unreasonable in my opinion. I did walk into the swim shop but didn't look at prices. They had a very nice assortment of swimwear in there, though, and had I not had my daughter with me, I would have looked around more.

STAFF:
Very friendly and helpful. Any question/concern we had was addressed immediately. It was made very clear to us to call up front for anything we might need.

OVERALL:
I would return to the GWL if I was presented with the opportunity and a decent deal on the stay. Traverse City is a really cool town - great shopping, lots of places to eat, etc. So that would make me lean toward that. However, if it's the water park we're going for, I think I would visit the Double JJ Ranch instead, unless we could give the GWL another try during warmer months.

I almost gave this review a 3 'dot' because of the semi-disappointing room and the 'average' water park, but added the 4th simply because we enjoyed their unique arcade so much, the staff was so friendly, and everything was well kept and clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor have direct access to the water park