“Kids love it, so that's good.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Livonia, Michigan, United States
“Kids love it, so that's good.”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I've been to GWL Traverse City 4 times in the past couple of years, staying for about 3 days each trip. I have to admit that the only reason we've gone is because my son LOVES it more than any other place we've been to. He would stay in the water all day if we would let him. We also love Traverse City and have contemplated moving there so many times. One of our favorite towns.

The pros: kids do truly enjoy the water park, the rooms are quite spacious and it's very family oriented.

The cons: very pricey even with discounts and it's not extremely clean, sometimes the staff is rude and its hard to sleep in the rooms - the walls are quite thin.

Worst experience I've had to date:
One night, my son and I were alone in our suite, as my husband was at the nearby casino with my mother. We were sitting there watching TV and we received a knock on the door. I answered it and it was a member of hotel staff telling me that I needed to keep it down in my room because there were complaints from other rooms about our room. I explained to him that he had the wrong room that we were alone and not making any noise (it was only about 10pm), only watching TV. He got really rude with me and basically called me a liar. Being alone, I kinda felt threatened almost.
Needless to say, we haven't been back since.
My son keeps begging us to, but I don't want to go thru that again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank sweetsandyc
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City and for sharing your experience! I sincerely apologize for what you went through and I assure you this kind of behavior does not meet with the expectations we have set for great guest service.

We hope you will return and stay with us again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is my first visit to the Lodge and it is a wonderful place for kids. The lodge is oriented around the total kid experience. The room was very nice (was not a themed room) and clean. Nothing was out of place and I looked! The Lodge charges extra for everything but the waterpark (included with stay). If you have ever been to Disney World then the Lodge can be done on a far smaller budget. As an adult I found my tolerance pushed to the limit with a two night stay which I would expect from an amusement park for kids only. I believe my daughter to be part fish so the Lodge is a very good choice verses other waterparks like Splash Village, etc. because you have to be a guest of the hotel to enter the waterpark. The rest of the activities are good for when the waterpark closes, which brings me to one of my complaints; the hours of the park (10am-8pm) are too short when you have a kid who is part fish. The other issue is that the MagicQuest game has kids running all over the hotel well into the night. I suggest you get a room as far from the lobby as possible. That said, I firmly believe the Lodge to be a great place to visit once a year for the kids, or more often if you live closer to one.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the lobby tend to be quieter (See review for more)
4 Thank DavidtheDaddy
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Loved the lodge and the pool. BUT, after the terrible check in, I will never be back. If you are only staying one night waiting in line 2 hours to check in really cuts into your time. Sure, the kids can go ahead to the pool area if you know about it. There was no one there to greet us at the door so we had no idea you could even do this. However, if you are there alone with your kids, there is no one to watch them. So, they have to stand in the LONG line with you. This line wrapped around the entire lobby, it was ridiculous. It was worse than being at Disney. Everyone was complaining, but no one care. This place is EXPENSIVE, and advertises that you can use the indoor pool beginning at 1:00 the day of check-in. However, you cannot get checked in at that time because everyone is thinking the same thing. So, if you are going to stay here do not count on those couple hours.

4 Thank Phototwinz
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City! I am sorry you had a difficult time checking in. We highly value our guest’s feedback and will see what areas of opportunity can be improved before your next visit.

As a valued guest, you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts directly to your e-mail inbox that you can use to make a return trip more affordable.

In order to maximize the amount of time spent in the waterpark, I recommend trying to reserve a private cabana inside the waterpark. If you reserve one on your day of arrival, you can begin using the waterpark as early as 10am! Prices do vary day to day, so please inquire during the reservation process if you are interested.

I hope you will give Great Wolf Lodge another chance!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We came to Great Wolf Lodge with my son's hockey team for a weekend hockey tournament. Because we were with a group, we received a special rate and it's a good thing bcs it is an expensive place to stay. However, the rooms were excellent, the atmosphere is intriguing for the kids and the attractions were very fun. Magic Quest is a challenging puzzle & the waterpark is very cool.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christine680
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was our second stay with grandparents and we all enjoyed it. The water park was clean, the room was spacious, the dinning cafe was delicious and we enjoyed the interactive bedtime story on the first floor. Also, my daughter enjoyed the wizarding game and the spa. My sons loved the arcade. This isn't an inexpensive place so planning is crucial but well worth it.

Room Tip: I'd wait until they run specials or check Groupon. This is very costly but if you monitor, they...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We took our 13 year old with a few of her friends for her 13th Birthday Stay over.
We have been here many time and the kids really injoy it as we do to. The water is a;lway clean and the staff are very friendly and helpfull. Safty is there number one concern while at the water park the staff is alway doing there job watching for any situation if they come up. The food is very good some of it can be a little pricie so you can take some of your ouw to help with that cost.
One of the kids left a light on in the care so when we went to leave the car battrie was dead. I had cables and one of the staff gave me a jump.

1 Thank bmw3392
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Rooms - The rooms are very well maintained. Each room has a mini fridge, microwave, and a living room area to sit and watch TV.

Food - The food at the restaurant downstairs is fantastic. Pizza is great.

Water park - The water park is awesome. Great for all ages. Splash park for the little kids. Bigger slides for bigger kids. Only problem with the kiddy slides is that no one monitors who's turn it is. Its a free for all and some kids cut. Would like to see that improve but still fun. I would also highly recommend getting a cabana for the day. Comes with a fridge full of drinks and food delivered to your cabana.

Other fun - The hotel also has a mini bowling alley, a magic quest game, an arcade. Lots of fun.

Kids Passes - The kids paw passes and pup passes initially sound like a lot of money but you get a lot for your money. Magic quest wands, bowling, ice cream, arcade tokens, and much more.

The only negative is the price but it is completely worth it. It is so much fun for the whole family. I definitely recommend this as a family vacation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family