“Over rated and hyped up”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Middleville, Michigan
“Over rated and hyped up”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the loft with 3 queen beds and a pull out sofa. Sleeps 8. Only ONE shower! The master bed upstairs was worn out and saggy. Half the lights didn't work. We went for 4 days, no dresser space. Two small drawers upstairs and two small drawers down. Just a few hangers too. The water park is nice. So are some others that I've recently visited. The lifeguards are top notch. There's lots to do for the kids. We mostly left to eat because of variation. I do like the fact that only guests can use the pool, it helps it from being overcrowded. If you're close, go for it. If it's a long drive, I'd look elsewhere. They're not the only game in town any more!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Arlene P
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City and for sharing your feedback! Whenever there are issues in the room, such as the ones you are describing, please bring it to our attention so we can document it and work to resolve those concerns. If you would like to stay at a location that features larger suites with more than one full bathroom, I recommend our location in Wisconsin Dells, WI. Our larger condo suites in this location can even feature a full kitchen with all cooking and eating utensils provided!

I hope you will return to stay with us again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I tend to hate places where everything is resort style, and any additional activity has an attached fee. This was no different. The kids and their mother wanted to go, and we got a good deal on the room through some special pricing. We really didn't spend that much time in the water park, but the kids enjoyed it while they were there. We did get ice cream, spent 20 bucks on the arcade, and bowled a round of ten pin. Honestly, I think 5 dollars per game for the mini bowling is outrageous, but it was the most fun activity I did the entire time. (And we had a 25 dollar resort credit to use up...) I think if you want someplace that has activities for all ages (at a price) and that you don't have to leave for like 24 hours straight, this may be the place for you. We, however, are more apt to wait out winter in favor of an outdoor water park down state.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MrWizard54
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We make a waterpark trip to a different location every winter. This year we went to Kalahari in Ohio and I hated it so much :( It was too big and they couldn't control the amount of people they let in since they sell day passes to anyone that isn't staying there. It was also insanely expensive.

So we made another waterpark trip this year to GWL, we were here last year and had a great experience. We were not disappointed this time either. Although the waterslides are not as big and there is no wave pool, the other things make up for it for a family vacation with young children. Mine are 5 and 8 and everyone agreed we liked GWL the best.

Definitely invest in the paw pass or pup pass since your kids are going to want to do the other activities, totally worth it. This time we purchased the MagicQuest game and had do much fun with it! We also joined everyone at 8pm for story time and the dance party, so fun! I have never been to a resort that has so many family fun things to do as this one.

They also encourage you to take your beer or drink with you around the lodge if you want to.

The only complaints were the deep fryer caught on fire and we were unable to get snacks by the pool one day and my room keys were mysteriously deactivated at 10:30am the day of checkout.

I would urge every family to go to the Traverse City Great Wolf Lodge for their waterpark adventure, I guarantee it's the best in the area.

Stayed March 2014
Livonia, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I've been to GWL Traverse City 4 times in the past couple of years, staying for about 3 days each trip. I have to admit that the only reason we've gone is because my son LOVES it more than any other place we've been to. He would stay in the water all day if we would let him. We also love Traverse City and have contemplated moving there so many times. One of our favorite towns.

The pros: kids do truly enjoy the water park, the rooms are quite spacious and it's very family oriented.

The cons: very pricey even with discounts and it's not extremely clean, sometimes the staff is rude and its hard to sleep in the rooms - the walls are quite thin.

Worst experience I've had to date:
One night, my son and I were alone in our suite, as my husband was at the nearby casino with my mother. We were sitting there watching TV and we received a knock on the door. I answered it and it was a member of hotel staff telling me that I needed to keep it down in my room because there were complaints from other rooms about our room. I explained to him that he had the wrong room that we were alone and not making any noise (it was only about 10pm), only watching TV. He got really rude with me and basically called me a liar. Being alone, I kinda felt threatened almost.
Needless to say, we haven't been back since.
My son keeps begging us to, but I don't want to go thru that again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank sweetsandyc
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City and for sharing your experience! I sincerely apologize for what you went through and I assure you this kind of behavior does not meet with the expectations we have set for great guest service.

We hope you will return and stay with us again soon!

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is my first visit to the Lodge and it is a wonderful place for kids. The lodge is oriented around the total kid experience. The room was very nice (was not a themed room) and clean. Nothing was out of place and I looked! The Lodge charges extra for everything but the waterpark (included with stay). If you have ever been to Disney World then the Lodge can be done on a far smaller budget. As an adult I found my tolerance pushed to the limit with a two night stay which I would expect from an amusement park for kids only. I believe my daughter to be part fish so the Lodge is a very good choice verses other waterparks like Splash Village, etc. because you have to be a guest of the hotel to enter the waterpark. The rest of the activities are good for when the waterpark closes, which brings me to one of my complaints; the hours of the park (10am-8pm) are too short when you have a kid who is part fish. The other issue is that the MagicQuest game has kids running all over the hotel well into the night. I suggest you get a room as far from the lobby as possible. That said, I firmly believe the Lodge to be a great place to visit once a year for the kids, or more often if you live closer to one.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the lobby tend to be quieter (See review for more)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DavidtheDaddy
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Loved the lodge and the pool. BUT, after the terrible check in, I will never be back. If you are only staying one night waiting in line 2 hours to check in really cuts into your time. Sure, the kids can go ahead to the pool area if you know about it. There was no one there to greet us at the door so we had no idea you could even do this. However, if you are there alone with your kids, there is no one to watch them. So, they have to stand in the LONG line with you. This line wrapped around the entire lobby, it was ridiculous. It was worse than being at Disney. Everyone was complaining, but no one care. This place is EXPENSIVE, and advertises that you can use the indoor pool beginning at 1:00 the day of check-in. However, you cannot get checked in at that time because everyone is thinking the same thing. So, if you are going to stay here do not count on those couple hours.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Phototwinz
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City! I am sorry you had a difficult time checking in. We highly value our guest’s feedback and will see what areas of opportunity can be improved before your next visit.

As a valued guest, you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts directly to your e-mail inbox that you can use to make a return trip more affordable.

In order to maximize the amount of time spent in the waterpark, I recommend trying to reserve a private cabana inside the waterpark. If you reserve one on your day of arrival, you can begin using the waterpark as early as 10am! Prices do vary day to day, so please inquire during the reservation process if you are interested.

I hope you will give Great Wolf Lodge another chance!

Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We came to Great Wolf Lodge with my son's hockey team for a weekend hockey tournament. Because we were with a group, we received a special rate and it's a good thing bcs it is an expensive place to stay. However, the rooms were excellent, the atmosphere is intriguing for the kids and the attractions were very fun. Magic Quest is a challenging puzzle & the waterpark is very cool.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends