“Great place to visit”

Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Detroit, Michigan
“Great place to visit”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Good place to visit. A little pricey on most things....typical resort. Staff was friendly and attentive. Rooms were clean and quiet. Restaurant was dead but service was good. Dunkin donuts inside was a huge plus as breakfast buffet was not offered as stated.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2014

the waterpark is the big draw here and it was smaller than i expected. it's still loads of fun and our younger kids (ages 5-7) loved it. my older ones (12 and 14), enjoyed it, but not as much as avalanche bay at boyne mountain or kalahari at cedar point. the service, food and amenities are very good.

Room Tip: if you can afford it, your youngsters might like the camp or wolf den suites.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John K
Vicksburg, Michigan
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I booked a family suite for a quick weekend get away. The building is impressive on the outside and even more so inside. Walking into the lobby you feel like you are in a lodge out west.
The lady checking us in, Maria, was very helpful and great to work with. She made sure my family and I were able to enjoy our visit. The water park was a blast for all of us and the life guards were professional yet nice. I recommend a double tube on the green slide, hang on tight and have fun.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank FamTrav2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Waterpark is below average. No wave pool, very noisy. Even our toddler, who loves waterparks, asked to leave after one hour. Rooms are filthy. The sink smelled like sewer on our final and 2nd day of stay. We used bottled water to wash hands. Room service is poor, came back to uncleaned room at 3pm after day of outdoor activities. Buffet breakfast is poor. Nothing tasted good and we had to wait so long for water as drinks are by server only. Cereal choices were poor. We ended up canceling 2nd days breakfast and ate at DD instead, which was much cheaper and better. On the plus side, story time at night was really good. Magiquest can be good depending upon age of kids. family friendly. Lots of kids around. Helpful front desk.

Stayed May 2014
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent visit to Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City! I am very sorry to hear your family had an unpleasant experience while staying with us. Whenever there are concerns in the room like you describe, please contact Guest Services immediately so we can try to resolve the issue in a timely manner. We want to make sure all of our guests enjoy their stay and are only able to fix an issue when our guests make us aware of the situation.

I am glad your family enjoyed some of the other activities we offer our guests and I suggest you look into our bundled add-on packages. These offer a variety of additional activities at a discounted price and can really help add value to your vacation. For more information, you can visit us on our website and speak with a live chat agent who can provide you with answers to almost any question you might have.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I did get alot of surprised looks when I told people we were going to Great Wolf to celebrate Mother's Day, but it was totally worth it. My husband, myself and 6 year old son stayed in a Wolf Den room and my son couldn't have loved that room more. He wanted to hang out in it and play. But there is so much to do, we did not spend much time there. Went to the water park 3 times, had a blast and the water park was not packed with people. A few times felt a draft and got chilly, but for the most part, the water park was excellent. My son loved the Magiquest game. We didn't finish it, but still had a great time doing it. We ate dinner at the restaurant and I was very surprised at how good the food was. I had read reviews that the food was not great, but our dinner was excellent and the pricing was on par for what we got.
We had bought a Paw Pass and so we enjoyed the bowling, an Animal at the Creation Station- kind of like a build a bear, goggles, candy, ice cream and Magiquest. This pass is worth it if you plan on doing multiple things. We also went to the Arcade and my son got enough tickets to get a prize. Over all we would go again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Get a Wolf Den room and your kids will love it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KVTravels
Central Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was our 10th year staying with The Great Wolf Lodge, and we were extremely disappointed. Check in is at 4 p.m., and we didn't arrive until 4:30, but our room wasn't ready, and said they had no idea as to when it would be. They gave us a free upgrade, but it wasn't what we wanted, and our children were very upset. They wanted the room with bunk beds that we'd booked almost 2 months ago. Our room was dirty, and we found food on the floor. While spending 2 days at the water park, we were extremely concerned and disgusted that guests were walking around with alcoholic beverages! This is supposed to be a family resort, and there should be NO drinking allowed in the water park, for the safety of the children, and everyone in general. This was the first year that we've ever seen this. A man was walking through holding a GLASS beer bottle, then we saw numerous people with what appeared to be GLASS Great Wolf Lodge champagne flutes/glasses walking, sitting, and even in the hot tub with us! NOT cool. Also, the last day we were there, we went to use the pool, and it was closed due to SWIM lessons! They let outsiders bring their kids in for swimming lessons, and close the pool for 3 hours! WE were paying guests, and they are always adamant about NOT letting people use the water park unless they are registered guests. Can you imagine how PACKED the jacuzzi and lazy river were, since the pool was closed?! You couldn't even float in the river, tubes were back to back and not even moving, and you could not even walk into the jacuzzi, people were shoulder to shoulder, and even sitting on the steps, kids were swimming around in the jacuzzi like it was a pool! If they are going to teach area kids swimming lessons, do it when the water park is closed to PAYING guests, not on their TIME! We were SO very disappointed in our trip this year, I doubt if we will go back. There are so many newer water parks/resorts now in Michigan, SAVE your money, and go elsewhere. This place just doesn't care about core values anymore......

Room Tip: Good luck, we didn't even get the room we paid for. This resort has went down hill big time fro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica M
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City! I sincerely apologize for the issues you had checking in and I want you to know this is not customary for us. We strive to have all guest rooms ready by 4pm as that is when they are scheduled to be available from cleaning, but there can be circumstances beyond our control when our Housekeeping team needs additional time to ensure the room is up to our standards.

Regarding your concerns with glass products in the waterpark, I can completely reassure you that we do not allow any glass in the waterpark for the explicit reason that it is a safety concern for our guests. We have sold alcohol in the waterpark since we opened in 2003, but it has always been plastic bottles, flutes and cups.

I am sorry you were negatively impacted by the swim lessons that took place during your stay. Great Wolf Lodge strives to better our community, so during low occupancy times we offer swim lessons to area residents. We understand this can affect our overnight guests, so I will forward your concerns to our Management team.

We hope you will return to stay with us again soon.

Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

1. When checking in, I was told that I needed to pay in full. I had a receipt that showed I had already paid in full and had a zero balance. I was told that there was a computer glitch and it never charged my card. This was not a good way to start off. I had a receipt and was being charged in full again! If your computer really didn't charge me 3 MONTHS AGO when I made the reservation, you already know this and should have contacted me. 2. Popcorn in my kids' beds. Do you ever clean. How disgusting! 3. My daughter's bed had an old plastic waterproof cover on it. It was all dried out, cracked and broken. It wasn't flat on the bed, it was all bunched up because the zipper was off. The sheet wouldn't even stay on it. She so badly wanted to sleep in the bunk house with her siblings, but we had to put her on the pull out sofa. 4. There were cigarette butts on the balcony. How hard would it be to clean between guests!? 5. There was a ball on the floor. Some prior guest left a ball, probably covered in germs, on the floor and the staff just left it - if they cleaned in between rooms at all. I will never go back and will tell any of my kids' friends' families that ask, not to go there. We have other options and will certainly go elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelly G
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City and sharing your concerns with us. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had, and I assure you this is not customary for us. I have passed along your feedback on our Housekeeping team for review so we can improve for future guests.

I am sorry for the difficulty you had checking in. There was an issue with our booking system where guests would make a reservation, but it would not actually charge the guest’s card. It would appear as an authorization on their card and the authorization would eventually fall off their account. If the authorization had still been pending in your account on the day of arrival, we would have been able to use that to push the payment through ourselves. However, from what you have described, this was not the case and we had to charge your card at check-in. I am sorry you were not contacted regarding this prior to your arrival to notify you of the situation.

We hope you will reconsider and give Great Wolf Lodge another chance.