“Great water park”

Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Great water park”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

With one night you can get two days of water park. Nice restaurant in the hotel with great theme. The kids cabin type room gives parents a break. The water park is great for adults too. Lifeguards were very vigilant.

Room Tip: Kids cabin keeps adults sane
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Blake H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Visited Traverse City a few days before Memorial day weekend, by myself, had no plans as to where I would stay. Great Wolf Lodge smacks you right in the face as you begin to enter Traverse City, large cabin building, atop of a hill, on the main US highway, so I stopped in their first, the front desk employees looked at me odd since I was solo younger guy looking to rent a room for a hotel intended for families, but that is/was expected. But after speaking with them they gladly brought up some competitors pricing and engaged the manager for a price reduction since I hinted at staying here since the placed looked nice, and it was.

Rooms were fairly large, sectioned off living room area(TV, couch and table), bed room area with large counter top and mirror, and a faucet outside of the washroom. To be honest I felt weird the first few hours, but after sitting in the room which canceled out the little kids running around with complementary wolf ears, I began to feel more comfortable. The hotel is about 5-10 minutes from the Traverse City downtown area atop a hill, which was pretty neat to look down from during the evening.

If you have kids this place is where you want to be, pool, enough room to run around, gift shop, yadda, yadda, and if you are a couple of solo person just expect to see little ones inside the lobby but not too much interaction after that since most parents keep them on lock, and there is a little one's must be accompanied after a certain time rule in place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Kbryk90
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Will definalty go again! We went for a trip when my husband came home from deployment. My daughter love it, the waterpark was fantastic and the food was good. Our room was clean, the bed was soft. The staff was friendly and helpful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharisse L
Michigan
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It's been several years since we've stayed at this location. We have been to the GWL in Sandusky, OH as well as several other waterpark hotels (Kalahari, Maui Sands Resort, Bavarian Inn, Zehnder's Splash Village, and Avalanche Bay). Waterpark hotels are a nice option when you want a family stay-cation.
We decided to stay at the Traverse City location because they now have Magic Quest unlike the closer Sandusky location. My children (11 year old boy and 8 year old girl) were introduced to Magic Quest while in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago and love it. Think "Harry Potter themed scavenger hunt". They already had the wands and just needed to reactivate them to play while at GWL. What I didn't like about MQ at GWL is it was kind of added as an afterthought, meaning the game items were added to the first section of each wing of hotel rooms. Thank goodness we were not guests in one of those first few rooms because those things make noise as well as multiple children running up and down the halls. Although I don't usually let my children run in the halls of hotels, there is actually one game that requires the wand activate the console on one side of the hotel and then counts down 30 seconds to get to the other side of the hotel...requiring the player to run. In addition to noise, it made it very difficult to travel through the hallways because of all the players in the hall. Nonetheless, my children thoroughly enjoyed becoming Master Magi. : )

I always check the bed bug registry before staying at any hotel. There were a couple of reports of bed bugs at this location; however, they were not recent. I decided to chance it. I always inspect the mattress/headboard when I arrive anyway. There was no evidence of bed bugs and I was relieved. However, they put a mattress cover and a heavy mattress pad on the beds which made it very, very hot. We had the room's air conditioning set on 68 degrees and still roasted at night.

My children had fun in the waterpark. They were old enough and tall enough to ride everything on their own, including the large slides at the back. (My daughter is small for her age, barely 48 inches tall and 54 lbs).

The arcade was fun for an hour or two but they got bored with it.
We bowled as a family at Ten Paw Alley. It's "Canadian style" bowling with small pint sized balls. The pins are on strings and got tangled easily. Several times it didn't reset the correct number of pins, so our scores were not accurate. In some cases, we didn't get our second throw. For the price, it was kind of a waste. There was no attendant in the room. You had to go to the arcade to purchase a game of bowling.

We ordered pizza one day for lunch from "Hungry as a Wolf" dining. The pizza was so-so but we were able to take it into the pool area making an easy family meal.

Our favorite place in the hotel is the "Bear Paw Sweets and Eats" on the lower level between the arcade and pool. It has every dessert imaginable. Yes, a German chocolate brownie cake is nearly $7 but the portion size is huge and can easily be split 2-4 ways. They also have ice cream, fudge, cookies, brownies, caramel apples...Yum!!

Overall, I would recommend GWL in Traverse City. There are numerous activities and dining options within the hotel making vacation easy.

Room Tip: Save some money and bring your own case of bottled water. A bottle of water is over $2 at the hotel...
4 Thank GabrielRN
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our family spent 3 nights in June in a wolf den unit. It was our third stay at this location.

Check in was efficient and quick.

Our room was OK. Carpet had some stains, some of the furniture was not clean, but we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. Hallways were dirty with noticeable trash and dust present.

The kids enjoyed the waterpark and it was mostly clean and well maintained. Hours are now 10-10, used to be 9-9.

The restaurant was convenient, but food was only average. Service was a little on the slow side.

Overall, not bad for young families, but it doesn't have the same magic it had 5 years ago. Probably in need of a refresh in the rooms and hallways.

Value for the room was OK, but surprised at the $20 resort fee! I guess this is becoming commonplace at most hotels now though.

Wisconsin Dells location is a little nicer, but this one was closer to home.

1 Thank djdaveyk1
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City and sharing your feedback with us! I apologize for the state of your room upon your arrival as this is not normal for us. Our Housekeeping team has recently undergone a leadership change, and improvements are steadily being made across the board.

We hope to have your pack back soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We made the trip and stayed at the Great Wolf as a guest of someone there for a convention. It is most definitely a fun place for the kids, geared toward fun for them at every turn. The lodge was reminiscent of the Wilderness Lodge at Disney World. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the waterpark enjoyable. We did not eat on site at any time, but were pleased to find a Dunkin Donuts in the lobby area. Would I spend the amount posted per night without the convention discount? Not likely. The whole waterpark thing is not my idea of fun but the surrounding area outside is beautiful so I gladly traded a few hours here and there in the park for some adult time later.

Muskegon Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We used to stay at great wolf lodge once a year when my son was little, it had been 4 yrs since our last stay and I was shocked at how much the place had gone down. I used to compare great wolf lodge to disney, it was always a great trip. This last trip was terrible, our room was filthy we had to change rooms because there was food on the floor. As I walked to the desk I noticed the halls were littered with garbage. When we checked out the halls were still dirty! My daughter dropped her wand in the arcade under a game and when I crouched down to retrieve it I was horrified at all the dirt and food under the game. One of the children with us cut his foot on a sharp part of one of the water slides. The credit card machine was also down when we were there so we had to use only cash for purchases, very inconvenient. I wrote a letter to customer service but never heard back. If you are looking for a nice getaway for your family I would skip great wolf lodge and look elsewhere

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angie V
Angie, thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Traverse City and providing us with your feedback! I am deeply sorry for the state of your suite upon your arrival, but I am glad our Guest Services team was able to relocate you to a room that was to your satisfaction.

I am sorry to hear one of the children in your party cut their foot on the slide and I hope they are doing better now.

If you have yet to hear back by the time you see this, you can contact me directly at guestrelations@greatwolf.com and I will be happy to facilitate a discussion for you!

We hope you will choose to stay with us again soon!

Jason