“What a great place!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and kids (ages 8, 7 and 3) visited Great Wolf Lodge at the end of July 2014 for a family vacation. We were thrilled with the water park, the staff and the Magic Quest game. First, the water park. Everything was so clean and the lifeguards are amazing. They have a wonderful lifeguarding system from what we can tell. The lifeguards change their station/loation every 30 minutes or so and they're constantly scanning the area. We were very impressed. Second, I can't say enough about the Magic Quest game. What a wonderful way to entertain our children, without TV. I was very impressed with this as well. Our older two children did the game on their own in the morning and the evenings and even a bit during a break in the park. We would sit downstairs chatting with other parents while the kids went about looking for their clues. They all loved the wands. It was just amazing. The staff is attentive and very nice to the children. All in all, I was impressed with everything except for the room. It was dated and the bathtub was stained which really didn't bode well for me. We're definitely coming back. I'm hoping they'll renovate a bit before we return.

1  Thank GRMom

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge on Aug. 1st and 2nd. It was over $400 for a family suite for the five of us for one night and that was with our AAA discount. A little pricey!! But overall it's always fun there. I have older kids so they really loved the water slides. We did have breakfast at Dunkin Donuts and it was good. The kids also liked the arcade and the mini golf. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was very nice and quiet. I paid a little over $40 to check out late, so instead of checking out at 11:00 we checked out at 2:00. That was really nice because we didn't have to rush in the morning and we went to the waterpark again. Stop in the Buckhorn shop by the lobby. The t-shirts were reasonably priced. Overall I would recommend this to everyone!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the main floor of the waterpark so it was easy access. Our room was number 300 some...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Always a good time. Staff is always caring and friendly. Food is good and reasonably priced, although the selection on the menu has gone down and there isn't as much to choose from. :(
The staff is always great and willing to make your stay the best that it can possibly be. LOVE GWL and never want to leave.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic. We usually get the wolf den.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aarebo
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family of 4 stayed here for one night on July 29th. This was our first visit to a Great Wolf waterpark, but we've been to several other competitors over the past few years. I would rank this one in the top two out of the five we have stayed at. The waterpark itself was a great size for having two young children. I would definitely try to stay here during the week (we were here on a Tuesday and into Wednesday) so the crowds are down. We never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for any water slide. Keep in mind there are other activities the whole family can participate in, but the $$$ adds up fast. My girls weren't very interested in anything other than the water and going back to our room with the upgraded Wolf Den, so that was a bonus for us and kept our costs down. We also decided to get pizza from a nearby Jet's and avoided paying $30+ for pizza, soda, and salad at the hotel. There is a Meijer just down the hill from the resort as well, so stock up on snacks and quick breakfast items. I would skip the breakfast in the morning at the resort...too expensive and your kids will most likely want to head straight to the waterpark or pool anyway. The lifeguards were the most impressive part of out stay. They never stopped moving and scaling every square inch of water for trouble. I consider myself a bit of a "germaphob" and was pretty impressed by the cleanliness of the waterpark, including the water itself. I didn't see any hair floating around, which is a huge turnoff for me. The bathrooms were as clean as they could be for the amount of people using them and every time we visited them, they were in process of being cleaned. My biggest complaint about the bathrooms in the water park is the lack of changing rooms, since you can use the waterpark the day of checkout until they close. There were several community showers with one private shower that had a curtain...which you could tell turned into a changing room...but was constantly occupied. Our room was fine for one night, but neither my husband or I slept very well due to the a/c unit being right next to our bed. It was very loud and obnoxious. When we arrived at 1:30pm, we were asked if we preferred a room on the 1st or 3rd floor, which I thought was nice. Because I read other reviews, I knew to get a room as high up as possible. We still heard footsteps above us, but it only lasted about a half hour around 9:30 pm and again at 8am, so not bad considering this place is full of kids. Never heard running in the halls, doors slamming, or babies crying on either side of us either. Our queen bed was very comfy...pillows not so much, but just bring your own. As stated before, the kids loved the Wolf Den with a bunk bed and their own tv. That was worth it's weight in gold. I would recommend to anyone with small children to bring your own nightlight though. The room was very dark at night with no small light we could leave on and I was afraid our 6 year old would fall trying to come down the bunk bed ladder if she needed to get out of bed in the middle of the night. The rest of the room was spacious enough for our needs...a two person table, a pull out sofa and coffee table, a nice long countertop with microwave and tall mini fridge (no freezer section), and a separate bathroom vanity away from the tub/shower combo and toilet. It would have been nice to have some hooks on the bathroom wall to hang multiple bathing suits and/or towels on. We had a balcony, which overlooked the outdoor pool. It had two chairs and a small table. I was looking forward to sitting out there with a glass of wine after the kiddos went to bed, however, between the multitude of bird droppings and the loud, constant drone of a large generator/air unit that was sticking out of the indoor water park, my mood changed. I thought it would turn off after the waterpark closed, but it didn't. Housekeeping was fine. Room was very clean upon check-in. Dunkin donuts right inside the hotel was awesome!!!!
So, all in all, staying here was a great experience. Would we stay here again...yes. Would it be for more than one night...probably not - unless we decided to throw our money to the wind and pay for the extra activities. This is a safe, clean, and fun time for the whole family!

Room Tip: Don't bother with a room facing the outdoor pool (back of the hotel), if you plan on using your...
2  Thank 814jenn
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great Wolf Lodge stay in june was totally fun and with all the activites for kids,its great for your kids to come. its so huge and clean also eco-friendly too. with the wizard quest i think, i brought out my kid side. i love the fact that there is a Dunkin donut and Kohls' nearby too. i can't forget the rooms were pretty awesume but the waterpark is bigg and unforgetable. its alil too much for my parents pocket but we want to stay somewhere new once in while. the front desk is very friendly. Parents bring your kids to a hotel filled with adventure and awe moments in the pool.

Room Tip: seeing how this hotel is packed with kids and their parents, you will want to reserve a room on 3rd...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Arrelle_2014
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A destination waterpark hotel like this needs to add features or different services to keep attracting return guests. The Dunkin' Donuts in the lobby and the new pizza place under construction on the lower level offer alternative food choices. The arcade was completely renovated with new games since our last visit which the kids really enjoyed. The Ten Paw Alley bowling alley was another fun addition. So sad to see the bison are no longer at the hotel. We heard that some had escaped in the past and became a liability. The food at the restaurant was surprisingly better than expected. Now move the hotel closer to the bay or Lake Michigan and you would have a perfect destination.

1  Thank WestCherokee
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Love the lodge. Great location and always clean. Very accommodating to tournament players and families. Two issues we encountered on this stay was one, we were given a handicap accessible room and did not need one. Some parts of room were awkward. Very low hanging coat rack, bathroom/shower layout different than other non handicap rooms. And two, our room did not get cleaned until we called and that was after 3 in the afternoon. Otherwise great place for family to hang between tournament games.

• Stayed: July 2014