I have found that beachfront properties everwhere, in general ,are a bit rundown and short on cleanliness, but the GBRH was different. The building and our room was modern, clean, and well-appointed. There are enough amenities to meet most needs. The staff was friendly and helpful.
We had a king room on an upper floor facing the beach. The room was spacious, and the balcony was reasonably-sized and offered a great view of the water. The wireless internet access worked fine in the room. I liked that I could actually walk barefoot on the carpet and my feet didn't turn black. The bed was comfortable, and the shower had plenty of hot water (after you let it run for a couple of minutes.) We had a fridge and microwave, which was convenient.
It's a long walk into town for dinner, and although there are some eateries and small food stores nearby, they're across a busy state road that's pretty much impossible to cross on foot, so a car is recommended. The area itself is quiet and seemed free from loud music, motorcycle cruisers, and late-night partiers.
The staff was helpful in directing us to the National Park area, giving us maps and advice on the best route.
The few downsides: The building was non-smoking, but the AC gave off a stale smoky odor, maybe due to an old ventilation system from another era. This was remedied only if we ran the AC with the balcony door open, which is a waste of energy. One night the smell even awakened me.
Next, parking was a problem on our first night. We ended up creating our own space by parking the car on a tilt in a rocky garden area. The next day we asked the front desk about it and they said that there are enough spaces for each room, but guests bring in outside visitors who park there as well and it's hard to control. (Why not a placard and towing system, like they do on the Florida coast?) However, they advised that if we had trouble again, just to see the night manager and he/she would authorize us to park in special reserved spots.
There was a small resort fee tacked on to the bill, which seemed odd, because the resort amenities didn't seem that significant, unlike such properties in warmer climates with larger beaches. Given that the nightly rate wasn't cheap, I found that to be an unjustified bit of nickel-and-diming.
Lastly, as mentioned in another review, the bed linens and mattress pad did not fit, and it was gross to wake up to find myself sleeping directly on the mattress. The linens and mattress pad would be bunched up in the middle or at the foot of the bed. I had to get up in the middle of the night several times and try to squeeze everything back into place.
But the positives far outweighed these negatives, and while I probably will not have a reason to return to Traverse City, I do recommend this hotel to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly renovated Grand Beach Resort Hotel is one of the finest waterfront lodging facilities located on the beautiful beaches of East Grand Traverse Bay in Traverse City, Michigan. Greet the stunning sunrise or relax to a gorgeous sunset from the privacy of your own balcony or patio overlooking more than 300’ of sugar sand beach being caressed by the waves of East Bay. This Resort is perfect for enjoying water sports, local shopping, and the best of eateries, wineries and breweries. You can also enjoy the plentiful amenities such as an indoor pool, hot tub, complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, fitness center and more to make your stay not only enjoyable but memorable for years to come. The newly renovated rooms offer our guests pillow-top mattresses, a mini refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and in-room safe. From larger suites that can accommodate up to 6 people comfortably, that includes a lovely leisure living area, to more intimate rooms with a king bed and a sofa; there is sure to be a room to fit your vacation or business trip needs. Welcome to Grand Beach Resort Hotel where your search can end and your adventure can begin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Beach Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Beach Hotel Traverse City
- Grand Beach Resort
- Grand Beach Traverse City