Grand Beach Resort Hotel
Knights Inn Traverse City(Traverse City)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$85
Cambria Hotel Traverse City(Traverse City)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$170
CambriaHotels
Bayshore Resort(Traverse City)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$152
Parkshore Resort(Traverse City)
US$157
US$130
Hampton Inn Traverse City(Traverse City)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$137
US$118
US$112
West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort(Traverse City)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$161
US$85
US$80
Cherry Tree Inn & Suites(Traverse City)(Great Value!)
US$162
US$147
Park Place Hotel(Traverse City)
US$164
US$151
Orbitz.com
All reviewsbeach viewwafflessugar beachfirst floorsound of the wavescontinental breakfastdairy queenbeachfront roombeach chairsminiature golfhot tubthe beach is nicewaffle makerhard boiled eggsin seasonfamily suiteindoor pool
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I had a very pleasant stay in September, when the weather was still nice enough to enjoy the beach, but without the crowds of summer. Sugar beach is outstanding. It is well-appointed with lounge chairs and umbrellas, and the staff grooms it nicely every morning. Separate towels are provided, there are nice tables for picnics, and the views are wonderful. My room was not on the beach, but it was still very clean and comfortable, and I enjoyed my private porch. The staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome with every encounter. I found the pancake-maker entertaining, even if the pancakes weren't top notch. The main downside for me was the traffic. When you exit the parking lot (turn right only), watch out. The cars come around the corner pretty fast, so you have to gun it to avoid a problem.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We were fortunate to stay after Labor Day during the week to get lower rates and were also fortunate to have had perfect warm sunny September weather. We also were able to stay in a beach side room on the second floor which I would recommend because the view of Lake Michigan is gorgeous there. If you can't stay there, I saw about 12 hotels in that location, including the sister hotel, Sugar Beach which is 3 doors away, I think.
This hotel has a small army of well-trained, friendly staff members including the guy on the tractor who rakes the beach every morning so it is free of litter.
Our room's best feature, of course was the balcony that we could sit on to take in the beauty of the area and the sunsets. Then it had a microwave oven and a small refrigerator, a second sink and granite countertops. The only thing missing that I would have used was a luggage rack.
The two minuses to consider if you stay there: #1. We were charged a $3.96 daily resort fee that we were not told about so ask about this fee when you reserve your room. #2. The traffic on the road outside of the hotel is unreal -- fast moving and extremely heavy so crossing the street on foot to get to the Dairy Queen could be dangerous!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Nicely appointed and well maintained hotel directly on the beach. Rooms are bright, colorful, and clean. Staff is friendly. The indoor pool and hot tub were inviting, but we unfortunately forgot our swimsuits. The balcony overlooking the beach was a delightful place to watch the bay.

Room Tip: Pay the up-charge for a waterfront room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Our stay was at the end of August. I am posting this review both under Grand Beach and Sugar Beach. Why? Because the rooms are the same in both properties, or at least that is what I am told. Both properties are listed individually and reservations can be made at either. They are "sister" properties under the same Web site. We booked a "courtyard, king, spa" room at the Grand Beach through AAA. We arrived at the Grand Beach and found that our room was switched to the Sugar Beach. The desk clerk said that this is done when a room isn't available. We were not happy, but accepted the change. If we weren't tired, then maybe we would have thought to call AAA about this at check-in. We didn't and stayed at the Sugar Beach.

Following the trip, I contacted AAA and Grand Beach about this. AAA said that we should have called them before or during our stay and WAS NOT INTERESTED in investigating any further. Grand Beach management, on the other hand, was VERY RESPONSIVE to my inquiry and told me that the last room of the kind I reserved became unavailable at the same time as the AAA booking I thought I made was being made, It happens. Maybe the Grand Beach can do something with their reservations system so that this does not happen, and if it does, that affected customers be notified. According to management, the rooms are the same in one property as the other. There is no way to truly know this without actually staying at both properties. Also, I would suspect that there would be minor differences in the pool areas, breakfast area, etc. In any case, I was satisfied with the management response. Thanks, Justin.

Since both properties are "the same," then any review of the properties will apply to both - right?

Be wary of the descriptions that mention private balconies and courtyards. The balconies are only on the beach side. The courtyards are not courtyards, but parking lot views. Why not just say it -- parking lot view. See how easy that is! Instead, management uses a bit of puffery to make a parking lot sound attractive.

Speaking of puffery -- high speed WiFi. I was lucky to get connected and had the connection drop quite frequently. When connected, it wsa rarely faster than painfully slow. The Grand Beach/Sugar Beach needs to upgrade their WiFi service. For all practical purposes, we really had unusable WiFi.

The location is good and the staff is friendly and mostly helpful. The only real issue we had was with the toilet paper holder -- left side was loose and the bar fell off. We left a note for this to be fixed and it was, sort of. The next day the other side fell off. We didn't leave a note and it was not fixed. We do think housekeeping should have reported the broken fixture to maintenance. We also wonder on how thorough the cleaning of the bathroom was that second morning since there was garbage in the garbage can and the toilet paper was on the floor in the EXACT position we left it. Housekeeping also did not leave any washcloths. We called the front desk about the washcloths and TP fixture. The TP fixture was fixed promptly and fixed completely this second time around. Housekeeping again failed to bring washcloths the following day, but this time we caught up with the person and the woman said she did not have any left on her cart. A bit later, she came back with the washcloths. Maybe housekeeping needs to make sure they have enough product on their carts!

The beds were reasonably comfortable except I felt as if I was sliding off, towards the foot of the bed. My wife did not seem to have that problem. The pillows were nice, big, almost too bulky.

Continental breakfasts are okay, but very basic. One nice thing they have is an automatic pancake maker. Nice. Waffle makers would have been nice too. There is a Bob Evans within easy walking distance if you want a full breakfast.

Parking was tight and adequate, but some customers do NOT know how to park, or think they rate 2 spots. If parking wasn't tight, this might not have been as noticeable.

We didn't get a chance to use the beach, but it looked nice and was clean. the only thing I noticed that might be a problem is the availability of beach chairs. Many seemed to have been "claimed," but no one was anywhere near those chairs. Also, since we do not like to get fried in the sun, we would not be out on the beach for long without umbrellas above the chairs.

Overall, a pleasant stay. If in the area again, we would consider staying at the Grand Beach/Sugar Beach property.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rft0000
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Great hotel....updated within the past few years....I love the 2nd floor.....always clean.....breakfast included...friendly staff and nice pool area and an arcade area....close to restaurants and a very nice fireplace area in he lobby

Room Tip: 2nd floor water view!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business