“Beats Grand Traverse Resort!”

Grand Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #15 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 2 June 2013

A friend and I stayed here this past Friday, after staying at Grand Traverse Resort for two nights. We were in town for a conference at GTR and added the extra day. You wouldn't be able to have a conference at Grand Beach, but if you are looking for a great beachfront location that is clean, peaceful, and fun, grand beach is for you!

Why we liked it better than GTR? Water pressure is awesome! After two days of barely being able to rinse your hair out in the shower, it was amazing to get a good shower! Also, SOFT TOWELS! These things don't seem like a big deal until you don't have them!

The room was tastefully decorated, clean, and updated. GTR is getting outdated....

The beachfront balcony beat our GTR tower room view, hands down! They rake the beach in the morning. It is so nice to sit out and have coffee watching the sun come up.

The price also beats GTR by far!

The only downsides to Grand Beach....the mattresses are covered with plastic protectors under the sheets....we both woke up sweating in the middle of the night. Secondly, the breakfast area needs to be changed around so it doesn't get all backed up. The resort was at 97% capacity when we were there, so it was difficult to get a good breakfast due to the crowd and waffle maker holding up the line.

We really enjoyed our stay, and I may go back with my family this summer!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Grand Beach Resort Hotel

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I was surprised, actually shocked, when I saw the 2 and a half star rating the Grand Beach has received. My family and I have been staying here for 12 years (it will be 13 towards the end of July). We absolutely LOVE it here. When we came here for the first few years we stayed on the 3rd floor, but now we always book a room well in advance, so we can stay on the first floor. We always book a room that walks out to the beach. You could book a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor, but, at least for us, being able to sit on the patio either solo with a book or together with a deck of cards is so relaxing; it's half the fun!

When we go on vacation there's six of us: two kids (not exactly kids anymore at 12 and almost 16, although they've been coming here since they were little), two seniors (the grandparents), and two middle-aged adults (the parents). Four of us, not including the grandparents, stay in one room. There are two beds side by side (they're queens). There's one bathroom with towels that are periodically replaced by the cleaning service or can be replaced sooner by request. They have all your soaps and shampoos, as well. The room is nicely furnished and, if your having more than four people in this particular room the hotel staff, who happen to very helpful and friendly, will bring you a roll-away (I believe that's what it's called) for your extra visitor.

There's complimentary breakfast every morning. This is the only downside I can think of to the hotel at the moment: they used to have a waffle maker at the hotel, but it was replaced with a pancake machine, and, the pancakes, they're not my favorite. However, there's plenty of other food. They have cereal, fruit, hard-boiled eggs (although they're a bit rubbery for my liking), muffins, pastries, bagels, bread, etc. As far as beverages, there's 2 or 3 types of milk, a variety of juices and, of course, coffee. Although their coffee's pretty good, if you're not feeling like the hotel breakfast one morning head just down the road to Crow About It Coffee and Cakes. They're right by the hotel, so you could probably walk or bike over if desired. They have fantastic coffee, as well excellent food and service. When I go there, I usually get a sausage egg and cheddar sandwich on a bagel. They have a variety of sandwiches and breads to choose from, as well as pastries, cookies and more. If you brought your bike over, there's a bike shop next door (I can't remember the name of it) that sells biking accoutrements and other gear. If you're feeling like a bike ride with the family, spouse or solo they also rent bikes for a reasonable price. There's also a place called Pirates Cove right across the street from the Grand Beach that's great for kids and adults. It has go-karts, mini golf and lots more. There's a Dairy Queen across the street, too, and an upscale market nearby that has incredible chicken salad wraps.

The Grand Beach has an indoor pool (with hot tub), arcade for the kids and vending machines in case you get hungry/thirsty. The room prices are in the $200 range. It is expensive, but it's really worth it if you're looking for something fun to do with family, friends, your spouse or just by yourself. Also, they have a stand on the beach that rents kayaks and canoes, which is always something enjoyable to do. You can also rent various types of boats. My family goes out on a pontoon boat every year. I will say this, the grandfather has a lot of breathing problems, so it is very hard for him to walk up and down the steep incline from our deck to the shore, and back up again. It is also hard for him to get in and out of the boat. I don't think he'll be going on the boat this year. While this is very situational, I thought I'd include it just to give a better perspective of the beach and in case you travel with any seniors.

The last thing I thought I'd mention was the noise level. It seems like this is a problem at a lot of hotels, especially on the first floor. I have never had these kind of problems at the Grand
Beach.

Overall, I love, love, love this place! Traverse City is such a great town and this resort will make your stay just that much greater.

Room Tip: We like the rooms that walk out onto the beach on the first floor. Also, they have a smoking and non...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed here for a quick Memorial Day weekend getaway. We have stayed at this hotel four times in the past. The staff is very friendly from the front desk to the room attendants. The hotel is kept very clean. The beach is one of the best in Traverse City. The hot tub is adults only from 10 until 11 pm which is nice. The continental breakfast is a nice touch. The hotel is in close proximity to downtown and other "hot" restaurant spots. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Nice to book a first floor room in order to have direct walk-out beach access.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed overnight on Saturday night during a large soccer tournament. It was filled with mostly other families there for the tournament as well. The pool is very clean and nice to use however with the hot weather we had, the beach area was the most enjoyable. You can walk the beach, relax outside of the hotel or even play volleyball. I enjoyed my patio although it overlooked the parking lot, it was still nice to be outside. The rooms looking over the beach were more expensive and I didn't feel I need to pay more than the $200+ for my room as it was. The room had two queen beds and a nice bathroom, separate sink outside of the bathroom with mini kitchen including refridgerator. I would stay again however I would call the hotel directly. This time I worked through Expedia and they claimed I was getting the last room at this best price of $199. When I went on the next day to check the site, they were still claiming there was 1 room room at this price and continued to say that each day as I checked. I did not feel they were truthful in their advertising. The staff at the front desk was super helpful and it was an overall enjoyable experience. The hotel is also located down the street from the State Campground and across the street from Pirates Cove Mini Golf and Red Mesa Grill is less than 1/2 a mile away too :) They include a breakfast each morning but they did not open until 7 and closed at 10. Since I had a game at 7:30am I missed the breakfast by 10 minutes having to leave early to arrive at fields early for practice.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct to reserve your room and get the best price.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Very nice hotel with Incredibly clean rooms. Hotel is nicely updated throughout. Pool and hot tub also very clean. Staff is very polite and personable. Location is very easy in and out and very close to downtown Traverse City. Nice setting on the bay. Absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed one snowy night in April, so we didn't do anything outside. We
liked the decor - beachy/cottagey.
The free breakfast was pretty standard. The room was generally in good
shape, but there were a couple of things missing. There was no soap dish
in the bathroom, so the only place to put wet soap was on the counter.
Also, there were no wash cloths. (Bath and hand towels, yes.)
I can see that this would be a nice place to be in the summer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed two nights at the Grand Beach in Traverse City (April 5/6, 2013). Wonderful view of Grand Traverse Bay and sandy beach. Heated pool and hot tub. The breakfast bar was included and it was exceptional! Though it was a very busy weekend with many children staying there (Easter vacation), it was very quiet in the evenings. It was a "great" weekend stay and would love to go back again someday.

Room Tip: Stayed on third floor, beach side....what a fantastic view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family