“Romantic Getaway”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I saw an advertisement for the Inn for their promotional packages and I thought, hey why not. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted, easily checked into our room. Upon entering our room we were amazed at how lovely it was! Clean, bright, and inviting. A half an hour later we received a call from the front desk to inquire how everything was, I have never had a place do that! The breakfast was great and the pool area was very nice, clean and enjoyable. The jacuzzi in the room was fantastic. The staff is very knowledgable about the area and the attractions, a great resource. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Good day!

Thank you so much for your review, and we're thrilled you had a romantic getaway which was more than you expected! Have a wonderful spring.

There are newer reviews for Cherry Tree Inn & Suites

Reviewed 14 March 2011

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for a long weekend get-away. They had a stay one night, get the 2nd night 1/2 off special. Plus, the rates were lower being in the off-season. Very reasonable for a 2 night stay. We stayed in the Lake Charlevoix room w/ a king sized bed and a Jacuzzi. The bed was really comfortable, we both slept great. The Jacuzzi was very relaxing after a long day of exploring the Old Mission wineries. The front desk staff were very friendly and check in was a breeze. The location of the hotel was convenient - close to everything, but not too busy. The kitchen area in the room was great - we were able to bring back left overs from dinner. The only thing we noticed was that the refrigerator was not cleaned out after the previous guests had left. There were drinks and a couple of bags of fast food left in the fridge. Not a big deal - but seems like housekeeping should have checked. We both said we would definitely stay at The Cherry Tree Inn again and would recommend to friends and family

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2011

Hello!

Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and I'm deeply sorry that my housekeeping team missed the refrigerator. That's unacceptable, and I have addressed the issue with them. We pride ourselves on cleanliness and making a room look like it's never been stayed in before, and I apologize we didn't fulfill that for your stay. I'm still pleased that you enjoyed everything else, and we'll be happy to welcome you back to stay with us. Have a great start to spring. C'mon warm weather! :)

Reviewed 22 February 2011

This is a very nice place to stay, except they seem to have little regard for safety issues. We found the cords from the blinds knotted together, forming a loop which would be easy for a small child to get hung in and choke. We told the desk, and they said they would have housekeeping take care of it. They did not.
We also found the electrical cords in our room wrapped up together to shorten them in a manner that makes them a possible fire hazard. We found this after we reported the blind cord, but since they did not take care of that, we did not report this.
In our suite, there was no towel hook near the shower, which required you to walk across the floor to reach a towel - or leave it on the floor. While we were there a woman reported slipping and falling in the bathroom, and I had to wonder if she was trying to get to a towel. Perhaps I'm more conscious of these things because I work in emergency medicine, but these are potentially serious safety problems.
I hope if management sees this, they will address these issues, because this place is lovely. I would give it a 4 or 5 if not for the safety problems.

Other than that, the hotel is very clean. The staff was personable and friendly. Our suite had a fireplace, a whirlpool, and a killer view of the bay. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Some of the furniture covers were faded, I'm OK with that, this is a beach resort, after all, but the cover on the daybed/sofa had holes worn through. The radios are hopeless, one of ours had a short - very poor quality. Since I'm a radio person, this was a big minus. Our room had a kitchenette; small fridge, sink, microwave and coffeemaker. No utensils, not even a plastic fork.

Breakfast was OK, nothing to get excited about, but there was plenty to eat. It's the usual hot waffles, precooked eggs and sausage, and a variety of cold breads, cereals, and fruits. Very good coffeecake, juice, milk, tea are provided. Do wish this hotel, like most others, would learn what folks need to have a GOOD cup of tea! I brought my own.

The pool and infrared sauna (loved it!) were clean and well maintained, although the towels reminded me of the ones in gym class back in the 70's - a bit on the skimpy side.
They bill themselves as a "green hotel", but they still use disposable plastic glasses and silverware and styrofoam plates and cups. We did have ceramic cups in the room, but only plastic glasses even there. They also use eco-friendly bath products, but be warned to keep the paper packages dry, or you'll be peeling black stuff off your hands. :-)

If this place addresses their safety issues, I would recommend this spot in a minute - but until then, I guess I'd steer clear. I gave it a one for service because they didn't address the safety issue we brought to their attention.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ioniashaun
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Hello!

Thank you for your thorough review of your stay at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

First and foremost, safety is our primary concern every moment of our days. From the way we prepare our breakfast to the way we check guests in, we care deeply about the safety of our guests and our employees. We are human after all. We have families and we have hearts. I am deeply sorry that there was a miscommunication with my staff when you brought up your concern with the blinds. That shouldn't have happened. Trust that when I read your review, my housekeeping staff was put to the task to check and correct every room where this danger could be. We will fix this and absolutely look out for the safety of all children and guests.

In regards to the power cord, this is not a fire danger. We coil and shorten them so there is less of a trip hazard and it keeps the lamps closer to the outlets. A fire danger would occur if the lamp was pulled away from the wall by a guest and the cord was tripped over and damage occurred to the cord by exposing bare wires. We go through an annual and rigorous fire inspection, which we play an active part in. We don't simply wait around for the fire inspector to tell us what is wrong with a part of the hotel. All throughout the year, we are in communication with the fire inspectors, asking them about situations or brining concerns we may have to them. I appreciate you noticing the cord, but it is not a danger.

In regards to the guest slipping and falling, I won't comment on details since it's a matter dealt specifically with that guest, but you are using many assumptions on events which you do not have accurate information on. We do take safety to heart and are very concerned for anyone who is on our property - even delivery men and women.

I am glad at you enjoyed the suite and the view. East Grand Traverse Bay is wonderful - even in the winter. I apologize for the fading of the couch - we are looking at quotes on recovering some of our couch cushions. As for the radio signal, I'm sorry that wasn't better for you. With our concrete floors, ceilings, and walls, it does get difficult to bring in a good radio signal. I will keep an eye out for ways that we could improve this in the future.

With all our rooms, we do have kitchenettes, but we don't stock utensils or plates in them. We do offer these items at our Front Desk, and our staff is always happy to bring them to your room at your request. Our rooms with expanded kitchenettes do features serve ware and place settings for guests.

I absolutely agree with your tea dilemma, per se. I love tea, and I am trying to create a better tea experience. I'm just working out details on the display and the items to feature. I know that we need a good variety of teas like Earl Gray, Chamomile, Lemon, etc. along with honey and milk. I am working on improving this. I don't have a definite timeline, but I would like to have it in place by spring. Thank you for your concern. I do apologize for the inconvenience to you.

I understand your concerns for the Styrofoam plates and cups. It does not mean we are not green, though. We do so many things that are green. To name a few, we have energy management systems in our main building; our building is built of energy efficient material (concrete with Styrofoam surround; we practice preventative maintenance to keep fans and motors running efficiently to safe on the electricity they pull on the city electrical grid; we use phosphate-free laundry chemicals; we recycle heavily and minimize our use of paper; we donate partially used soaps to a reuse program called Clean the World; we use green soaps and lotions in the rooms (things that are used most often by guests); we ask vendors to use green-packing practices; we even have a napkin dispensing system which reduces waste (without it, people take too many napkins and then throw them away). So we do many green things in our property, but to say we aren't green based on the use of Styrofoam plates and cups isn't entirely accurate. I would LOVE to switch to paper plates and cups, but it comes down to cost. A box of Styrofoam plates are around $35 for a case of 10,000. A box of paper plates (something that holds up for the weight of a waffle or the many items of our breakfast) is around $80 for a case of 10,000. Styrofoam cups are around $18 for a case. To go to paper, the cost would be around $54. This may not seem like a lot if you think of us as a large hotel with an endless budget, but we do have a fine line that we follow that makes our hotel succeed and survive Northern Michigan winters. It's a hard thing to balance. I just finished looking up costs again, and we will make the jump soon, but I want to do it when we can still make our rooms affordable for guests.

Thank you again for taking the time you did to right a review. We will fix the safety concern you brought up about the blinds immediately, and I will continue to work on improvements to our services and amenities to fit our guest requests and our preferences. I hope you have a nice end of February and a wonderful end of winter.

With many thanks,

Reviewed 12 February 2011

Four of us stayed in the Harbor Springs Suite. It was awesome. The fireplace made this mid-winter getaway so cozy and nice. We travel somewhere every year and would definitely stay here again. I like a soft bed, so hotel beds are always too hard for me, but this one wasn't bad at all. Jonathan was soooo friendly and they gave us $10 coupons for the casino, which we appreciated and had such a good time there. Food in Traverse City is great. We ate at the North Peak Brewery and Amical, both on Front St. and both wonderful for lunch. We had a nice table in our room where we played games. It was very roomy!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I'm glad you found your suite roomy and the bed comfortable. We've gotten a lot of nice comments on our new mattresses, so I'm very glad you enjoyed them, too.

Have a nice February. We'll be happy to have you back again.

Reviewed 19 January 2011

If you are going to Traverse City, Mi. I would highly recommend the Cherry Tree Inn. The rooms are very clean and very spacious, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The beds are very comfy, so you can be sure of a good nights sleep. My sister and I have been going to Traverse City for the past several years and once we found The Cherry Tree Inn we haven't stayed anywhere else since. It is by far THE BEST !!! I would give it "Three Thumbs Up". Try it I know you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2010
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2011

Good day!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel - and a kind review at that. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at the Cherry Tree and won't go anywhere else. I will be sure the Cherry Tree Family sees your review. We look forward to having you visit again. Haev a nice winter!

Reviewed 6 January 2011

This was the second time I have gone! I went once two years ago and planned a trip just to stay at this hotel! It exceeded my expectations once again! The staff is so friendly and fun, especially Johnathan - a man who works at the front. He went above and beyond to make sure that my fiance and I had an amazing time- He did great!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2011

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm so glad that your stay was good and that I was able to help make it so. Thank you for your return visit. The entire Cherry Tree Family wishes you a happy new year and we look forward to seeing you again.

Jonathan Pack

Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed at Cherry Tree in Traverse between Christmas and New Years. The room had a gas fireplace and two person jacuzzi in the bed area. Bathroom had a nice shower with a seat and came with a television lol. Coffee maker, fridge, and bar sink helped to keep our wine cold. Two casino's very close. Turtle sands has free transportation, but the pick-up and drop-off times are limiting. Fine if you don't mind being on a schedule, but certainly not continuous. Leelanau Casino a 40 minute drive up the beautiful coast. Lots of wineries in the area which are open all winter. Free breakfast included eggs and sausage as well as cinnamon bread, bagels, yogurt, etc... Staff was very pleasant, especially Jim from the late crew who was patient with my questions prior to arrival and always greeted us with a smile as we returned from a night on the town. Great restaurants in Traverse also. All in all, a great get-away for the holidays!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CherylTravels

Hello!

Thank you for your thorough review of your stay. The TV's in the bathroom get a chuckle out of almost everyone! I'll be sure to let Jim know how pleased you were with his service. He's a good guy and adds a lot of strenths to our work family.

I hope you have a nice start to 2011 and you'll come visit again!

Jonathan Pack