“Great Fall Getaway!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Great Fall Getaway!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

The Cherry Tree Inn far exceeded my expectations from my first call with Jenny when I made our reservations. Check in was smooth. We were greeted with warm smiles and fresh chocolate chip cookies. Outside the elevators were fresh fruit water dispensers for guests, another nice touch. We stayed in Elk Rapids room #320. Our room was a was nicely appointed with a fabulous balcony view of the bay, two queen beds, and a kitchenette. My children thought it was pretty cool that the bathroom also had a television and telephone. Our room was spotless, and our housekeeper was very friendly too. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast in the morning until 10am. No complaints in this department either. Even the pickiest of eaters are sure to find something to eat. Honestly they had everything. Bagels, muffins, hard bolied eggs, eggs, breakfast sausage, fresh fruit, cereal, crumble cake, and the kid's favorite....fresh made waffles! The pool/spa/sauna are also very nice and clean. They also provide pool towels for you. The outside of the hotel is equally as nice. Each morning the beach area is raked. The water is very shallow making it great for the kids to play. They also have a wooden ship play structure for the children to play on. I had the pleasure of meeting the hotel manager, Jonathon on our departure day. He too was kind. He mentioned to me that plans are in the works for an outdoor pool for next summer. I personally think that will be a great addition to the hotel. Nothing better then relaxing in the pool that over looks the lake while gazing at the stars. We are looking forward to our return to the Cherry Tree Inn in the summer of 2012!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sjeriksen
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for your kind review and noticing all the extra things we do for our guests! I'm very pleased you enjoyed all of these and your Elk Rapids Studio. We are in the final process of receiving our pool permits to build our outdoor pool. This is very exciting for our property and will be a great amenity for our guests to use when the bay is too cold in the spring and fall.

Thank you again for your review and your stay. Have a wonderful rest of the year. We look forward to you visiting again.

Best,

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Auburn Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

The Cherry Tree was all that we expected it to be. My husband and I traveled to Traverse City with reservations at the Cherry Tree for our anniversary and had to drag along our 4 year old. All of us enjoyed the Hotel, My son's favorite was of course the pool, where they even had some complimentary beach toys to play with to help make it fun (we had brought our beach ball knowing that he would need more than just water to keep him happy).
We were a little disappointed that the bed was not a pillow top (however that was disclosed in the room details), somehow I had thought they said "All" beds were pillow top and I was wrong.
The refrigerator does not have a dial on it to control to the temp so everything was slushy or frozen, not a horrible thing as we only had liquids in the fridge.
There was a piece of wall paper starting to peel away from the wall but we didn't expect completely flawless as we got the room for a super cheap rate.
I have to say it was a bit noisy as well. I could hear room doors slamming shut often and when I would come off the elevator I could hear my son and husband playing in the room so the walls were not as sound proof as hoped.
The customer service is beyond excellent. If there was a hotel in the world that people should rate customer service against it should be this one. Every one of their staff members is smiling and asking if you need anything. These people are not in the industry because it was the work they could find, they truly are wonderful at their jobs and hopefully enjoy it as well.
They have super cold water with either lemon/lime's or berry's available all day after breakfast. Their breakfast was actually not to horribly bad for hotel breakfast. Could probably use a few varieties of cereal that little one's might be more apt to eat.
Our experience in Traverse City was a little rained and winded out but all in all the time we spent at the hotel was wonderful. I highly recommend this hotel for couples, groups, and small families.

Room Tip: Room's without a view are the best price, if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
Good day!

Thank you for your stay and your thorough review. I apologize for any confusion regarding our beds. All bayside rooms have pillow-top beds, while all non-bayside rooms have Serta Posturepedic, which are not pillow-tops. We are in the process of final planning to replace all non-bayside rooms' beds with the new pillow-tops as well. This should come shortly.
I do also apologize that you found the room to be noisy - this is not like our property at all. We are built with concrete walls, floors, and ceilings, and we are constantly told how quite the entire hotel is all the time. I do apologize, though that you found it different. I know that we are working on insulating some door jams this winter to help suppress noise that comes through our door jams - it's slight, but it's still important for us to always fix any and all concerns by guests.
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the service and would highly recommend our hotel. I hope you had a nice rest of October. Do please stay again. Take care.

Best,

Holton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed for one night on anniversary, and couldn't be happier. Very clean, very professional, and for the price, very good value. Got an Elk Rapids suite with a bay view, balcony. Very large room, well appointed. Extra TV and phone in the bathroom! Lockable safe in closet, microwave, and fridge. Only complaint: we were on the 5th (top) floor and there was a floodlight on the outside of the building that killed any hope of a dark room, as the light came thru the blinds and were on all night. Didn't hinder us from sleeping.. think of it as a super night-light.
Lot of niceties: fresh cookies at check-in, fruit-studded water dispensers by the elevator, fresh coffee in the lobby along with teas, and a little store for ice cream and things you might have forgot.
Breakfast was excellent for continental. Waffles with cherry topping (!), biscuits and sausage gravy, and more. Free TC paper at the desk. Room off of the lobby with overstuffed leather chairs, fireplace, computer, TV and games. Didn't try the indoor pool and whirlpool.
It seems this Inn has gone out of their way to be personal and attentive. We loved our stay and will return.

Room Tip: There are many types of rooms. Ask for details.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Good day!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Though, I apologize that the blinds in your room weren't sufficient to block our lights that provide illuminate our beach at night. I will work to find a solution for that quickly.

Thank you again for your review and your stay. We'll be happy to have you return again. Have a wonderful rest of your October.

Lincoln Park, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

We reserved a room for my parents 52nd anniversary, and all they could say is wonderful things about the hotel. I had reserved a handicapped room overlooking the bay. my mother is not handicapped but needed the extra bars in the bathroom as she is slightly unsteady on her feet.They said the room was perfect,and very clean. It rained quite a bit ,but that didnt bother my parents.They loved the free breakfast, the hot cocoa,coffee,lemonade and the apples that are available throughout the day. For no complaints coming from my father I know this place is wonderful, and I will be making my own reservations in a few days for my anniversary

Room Tip: overlooking the bay
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Good October Afternoon!

Thank you for taking the time to review your parents' stay at our hotel. I'm so happy to hear they enjoyed it - even your father! I'm glad they liked our breakfast, too. We try to make it just right for our guests. Please do come visit for your anniversary - we like helping you celebrate!

Hospitably yours,

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed at the Cherry Tree this past week (off season, late September) in the Leelanau Suite.

Pros: This second-floor room was quite large, with a separate bedroom that included a clean, two-person jacuzzi tub. The living area had table and chairs, queen-sized sofa bed, and a fireplace, along with a wrap-around porch. There is a counter, fridge, microwave, and sink along the entry hall. The ample windows gave great views of the East Grand Traverse Bay. Check in staff was friendly. Room was clean, except for noted below. The overall impression of the property was positive.

Cons: The hotel is located on the far eastern side of Traverse City, making it less convenient to downtown and the Leelanau Peninsula. The suite has an odd layout, with a long entry hall. The bathroom has a shower, no tub (since the jacuzzi was in the bedroom?). Strangely, there were no hooks or shelves for clothing in the shower/toilet room. While overall a very clean room, the bedspread was stained and dirty in spots.

Would I stay here again? Sure.

Room Tip: Choose one of the remodeled suites on the second floor or higher.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thank you for your thorough and clear review of your recent stay at the Cherry Tree. I'm happy that you enjoyed everything overall, including our cleanliness and our friendly staff.

I apologize that the bedspread had spots on it. I will be sure to work with our housekeeping staff to keep a better eye when cleaning and inspecting to insure our rooms are not found in this presentation again. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I'm sorry that you wished to be closer to downtown. We are only 4.5 miles from downtown and located on the main road with many of the other hotels and restaurants in town. As a born and raised native to the region, Traverse City is a driving town for the most part due to all the fresh water frontage on Lake Michigan, all the inland lakes (approximately 15-20 large inland lakes in the region) and the beautiful areas (Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Leelanau, Old Mission, Boardman River Valley, Manistee River Valley, etc) that surround us - not just one side or another. For many, our location works perfectly for exploring the region, but I apologize it wasn't quite right for you.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope you made it home safely. Have a wonderful October!

Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Overall the Cherry Tree Inn and Suites is a nice place. It's clean, quiet, and we were greeted with smiles when going by the main desk. We were disappointed that we didn't have a suite, but had a studio, which we learned was our mistake for booking online and not calling and asking about the rooms. We also had a problem with housekeeping. We left the room in the morning and didn't return until 9p - one bed had been made, the other was the same way we left it - the covers thrown over it, pillows piled up, and the bedspread in a heap on the floor. We received clean towels but the bathroom itself wasn't wiped down. Upon checking out, we very nicely presented those concerns to the front desk. We received a weak "sorry" but were made to believe it was actually our fault - they don't make the bed if the covers are thrown up over it. Ahh well, it was a place to lay our head and shower - doubt we'll stay there again.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank G B
Hello!

Thank you for your review and thank you for contacting me directly after your stay. I was happy that you did so that we could better investigate where we broke down on our training and overall handling of the situation you experienced. Trust that I have addressed the items with my housekeeping and front desk teams, and we are very sorry that it had to come to that. Our focus is to exceed your expectations, and we unfortunately did not for you.

I apologize for any confusion regarding studios compared to suites. If you ever have questions while booking online - whether it's through our website or another, you're always welcome to call our 24-hour front desk so that we may help clarify our room types. We have 18 different types, so we understand if it can be daunting to keep up with which one is perfect for you.

Thank you again. I sincerely appreciate your review and even more so that you contacted me directly so we could better correct the errors. Have a wonderful fall.

Lake Odessa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

This was our second trip to Traverse City for vacation. We stayed for four nights at Cherry Tree and had a great experience. The staff was friendly, the room was comfortable and the price was right. We had stayed at the Sugar Beach Resort last year at the same time and payed about the same price and we were not impressed. I think my husband and I have found a new go to place at Cherry Tree. We were on the top floor facing the beach and the view was great. There was only one thing wrong with the room and that was the blinds. They only had blinds up with no curtains and the flood light on our balcony was very bright. Not anything major but I like a room very dark to sleep. The other problem we had had nothing to do with the hotel. The people in the room next to us decided to use their balcony to smoke even though it is a non smoking facility. No way to stop that unless you know what room it's coming from. Overall, we had a great time.

Room Tip: There are several rooms at the hotel that are directly in front of the elevators. Try not to get th...
1 Thank cristinaandbob
Good day!

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the view. I will certainly look at how we can make changes to block the light from coming into the rooms near our beach security lights. And I apologize that another guest smoked on their balcony. We don't allow smoking anywhere on property except for two small sections away from guest rooms. I apologize we weren't able to control the guest, but when you visit again and if you find yourself in a similar situation, please don't hesitate to contact our Front Desk so we can make every possible effort to stop the smoking guest from making it difficult for others to enjoy their balconies.

Thank you again and we'll be happy to welcome you again.