“Good, nice hotel, but needs some updating” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Good, nice hotel, but needs some updating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

My daughter & I stayed here over the weekend. I ran the Bayshore Marathon here and was looking for an inexpensive place to stay. The price was very good--we had a "non-beach" view that overlooked the roof, but that's what you get when you pay the lower rate.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We did feel, however, that the rooms (at least our room), need some updating. It was a bit shabby looking. The bedspreads are quite worn, as are the blankets, although I felt the mattress was above average. The room almost looked too big--maybe add a desk or an easy chair? There was little in the way of decorating--it was just kind of blah looking. The carpet should probably be replaced as well. Mostly clean, but just before we left, I saw many tiny ants in the kitchnette area. I did leave a comment card on the table in the room about this, so hopefully the staff saw it.

The coffee maker is nice, but it would be nicer to include 2 coffee filters and also an option for decaf. Maybe add a few paper plates & plastic ware too.

Bathroom was very clean, but again, some updating is needed. The wall paper around the tub is peeling. We did think it was funny that our shampoo, conditioner and soap was replaced after only one use (the used ones were still there, along with new ones)--if you can afford to do that, you should be able to afford at least some updating!:-)

I've given this hotel an above average rating because I've seen the manager respond here and I'm pretty sure he will take care of these issues in the future. I'd choose to stay here again, but I think I'd pick a beach view room next time!

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Room was a little shabby; a little updating would go a long way.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2008
Hello! Thank you for your response. I'm sorry the room that you had was not to your expectations. I will note all of your issues with it and we will get them resolved quickly. Of course, we did take care of the ants right away. Also, we replace the soaps even when others are open in thev room because our guests expect that from their stays with other hotels. Although I don't like to have the waste, we can't reuse partially used soaps for sanitary reasons of course. Plus, we don't want our stayover guests to run out of soap midway through a bath! Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you at the Cherry Tree again. I will work to resolve the issues you had! Please let me know if you have any further concerns at jpack@cherrytreeinn.com Best,
Cherry Tree Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
washington, dc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2008

Stayed here on the Wednesday before Memorial Day weekend because of the good price - $63 on Expedia. The room was unremarkable, but at least clean and quite, which was all I really wanted for the night. The only drawback is that it is farther from downtown Traverse City than I expected, which means you have to drive to get there for its amenities (restaurants, shopping, etc.).

• Liked — the price on expedia
  • Disliked — too far out of town
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Thank you for your stay and review. I'm sorry our property wasn't where you wanted it to be, but we are a great site for getting to the back roads to get around traffic, for getting to the small charming towns around T.C., and for getting to all the restaurants. All the restaurants and shopping are all close and about 2-15 minutes from the property. Perhaps if you stay with us again, we can arrange a chauffeur or cab service for you to get around the area. Please let me know if you have any further questions by simply calling the hotel. I hope you had a safe trip home and have good spring
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2008

We have stayed at the cherry tree many times over the past few years. It is one of the nicest, cleanest hotels you will ever come across. It is one of the newest in TC and by far the best. The staff are super friendly and really care about your stay. Sometimes at night, you can just walk through the quiet lobby and just start up a random conversation with a desk clerk. Always nice after a long day in TC. This hotel have a continental breakfast from 7-10 am every morning great way to start your morning. (A negative though is that seating is limited and get pretty crowded at times, but never a major problem). There is an indoor pool and spa, game room, exercise room...typical of any hotel. This hotel also have a library off of the lobby, nice for family gatherings, read a book, play chess, even surf the web on the guest coputer. On the beach there is a playground, fun for kids big and small. There is also a putting green, nice for little kids. Another plus is the rooms..they are right "there is nothing stardard about the stardard room. All rooms come with microwave, fridge, (newly remodeled units have a cook top, i beleive) There is also televisions in the bathroom great for kids when the adults want to watch tv in the room. I highly recommebd the Widsor Suite (they changed the name I forget wht it is called now) but with this room you get a wrap around balconey overlooking the bay and a hot tub.

Also, the hotel have a "at home felling" half the time it will not even feel like a hotel, so quiet and relaxing.

There is really only one negative avout this property. The beach is horrible. but that doesnt turn me away. But beware of that.

To sum up great place

Keep up the great work Cherry Tree. You have a great hotel and staff keep it up.

We plan to return in 2009, (we are going to Disney this year so we wont be back till 09 hopefully. We cant wait to see the remodel. And like to see if that outdoor pool is coming still.

• Liked — Everything!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The Beach
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 May 2008
Hello!

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel and staff (we do like to gab with our guests). I'm glad that you enjoy your stays and I hope you have a safe and fun trip to and at Disney! We'll see you in 2009!

Cherry Tree staff

P.S. The Windsor Suite is now known as our Leelanau Suite.
Michigan Center, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Condo Hotel a few months back and just wanted to say that this was a wonderful getaway! The property is clean and the staff is extremely friendly. We stayed in the Walloon Lake Suite, which had a beautiful view! And the room was quite spacious. The only critique I can possibly think of is that the bedding was a bit dated. The complimentary breakfast was a great extra! We will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Diver59
Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I will let our owner know your comments regarding our bedding. Last time he visited, he had mentioned updating all the beds in the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast as well. I think a lot of people are liking the new items -waffles, biscuits and gravy - that we have added to it.

I hope you have a nice spring. Looking forward to taking care of you again.

Cherry Tree Staff
Grand Rapids,mi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2008

A little disappointed in the room and how run down it was. Stains on the couch, tv remote didn't work in suite because couch was too far from tv, Pull out sofa was horrible. A big piece of foam for a trundle bed. Didn't sleep a wink. Loved this property 6 years ago when we stayed but it just wasn't taken care of this time around.

Stayed May 2008
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 7 May 2008
Hello Sir or Ma'am,

I am so sorry for the disappointment you found. I would greatly appreciate it if you contacted my either at the hotel (800-439-3093) or at my email address (jpack@cherrytreeinn.com), so I can find out which room you found disappointment in. I want to make sure everything is fixed and cleared up. That is certainly not up to our standards, and I am terribly sorry that your stay was a result of an oversite. Please contact me as soon as you are available.

Jonathan Pack
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

Thanks for a wonderful stay. My wife and I needed a two day getaway and spent a Sat. and Sun. night at the Cherry Tree. Jonathan, the front desk manager, was over and above, providing an easy check-in, great recommendations for dinning and I liked the fact that he remembers names! (Thanks for the cookies Jonathan).
The rooms were clean and large and we fortunately had an upper corner room with views of both the Bay and the sunsets. We liked that the rooms had microwaves, TV in the room and bath, fridge and safe. The hotel practices energy saving ideas and all areas seemed clean and quiet. My wife, an avid coffee drinker, said her only complaint would be to upgrade to a better coffee in the rooms and breakfast area. Keep up the good work Cherry Tree, we will be back! The McDonalds

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreystokeMichigan
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 April 2008
Hello!
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I'm glad you made it home safely. Have a great spring and we hope to see you soon.
Cherry Tree Staff
P.S. You two were a joy to talk to, and it was always fun helping you out around T.C.
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2008

We were there in Aug. /01 and enjoyed 4 nights of trouble free relaxation and back again in Aug. /06 . Just booked July /08 for 5 nights and we expect the same. Friendly staff , clean pool / spa, and the room was loaded with extras like a TV and telephone in the bathroom. There is a nice shallow water beach for small children. All you have to do is drive 2-3 min. for food/shopping.

• Liked — spaceous clean room with terific view of east bay
  • Disliked — drive 2-3 min for food shopping
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank jasonoNiagaraFalls
Jpack, Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 April 2008
Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stays in '01 and '06. We hope you have an even better stay this July! Have a nice spring and a safe drive to T.C!
Cherry Tree Condo Hotel Staff