“Just ok.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Just ok.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've never written a review before but thought I should start seeing I depend on other reviews when making travel arrangements. I really wanted to like this hotel but like the review title, it was just ok. With how much we paid a night, I really expected more. The decor was dated despite what I heard about the hotel having recently undergone a renovation. Our room was on the first floor and was a walk out, which with a toddler was very nice. However, we were also next to the hotel's main beach entrance so would hear the door slam and people talking at all hours. The beach sand was very rocky and not the nice sand I am used to on the eastern shores of Lake MI. Although we had limited need to talk with front desk staff, our few interactions were of a positive nature. We really appreciated being allowed to check in an hour early in order for our toddler to have a much needed afternoon nap! So with that said, we still had a good time in Traverse City (how could you not in such a beautiful location), but for our next TC trip, we'll be looking at other lodging options!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kanannvan
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Good afternoon!

Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you are doing one for the first time. I'm sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations and I'm sorry you felt our decor was dated. We did update the paint and wallpaper in our rooms and hallways. We also did new drapes, bedding, carpeting, beds, artwork, technology (HD TV's with HD channel programming, iPod/iPhone/iPad docking stations), coffee (Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas) in all of our rooms. I'm sorry that you felt the look looked dated. As we continue to do more and more improvements (more starting this winter), we'll keep your comments in mind.

I'm sorry you felt our beach sand was rocky. It is traditional Lake Michigan sand - in fact, we just had the entire beach sifted of large rocks, waste, and weeds that can be there from spring. This is the first time I have ever heard that our beach was rocky, so I will look into that promptly and make sure that there is nothing that I am missing regarding our beach.

I'm happy you found our service to be great and that you had a good time in Traverse City. I hope you do try us again in the future, and I feel you won't find the same amenities at any other hotel in the area.

Jonathan Pack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Korean first
Michigan
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Very nice view of the bay. The beach and water were very clean. It was nice to sit on the balcony and watch the sunset every night. The room was a nice size, but a little dated for my taste. The breakfast and fruit flavored water in the lobby were a nice touch. We had a slight issue with our stay in which the general manager promptly took care of.

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the size of the room. Are continually doing updates of our entire hotel with more scheduled this winter. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the flavored water we offer. I do apologize for the slight issue, but I'm happy I was able to resolve it for you.

Thank you again. Have a wonderful day and come visit again.

powell, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was our third stay at Cherry Tree. The last one being over 2 years ago - and while there wasn't much wrong with the hotel then, they've been updating and making improvements like mad. The staff are attentive and since we were arriving on my husbands birthday, I asked if they could put something in the room. A lovely little balloon and snack pack greeted us and made his day. The beach, as always, is perfect for just relaxing and it's so close to the big water, if you want that experience, it's just a drive away. Couldn't recommend more.

Room Tip: Pay for the view. It's worth it. Excellent sunrises and sunsets.
Good day!

Thank you so much for your stay and for your kind review. I'm so happy that you have returned and noticed all of the updates that we have been making. I'm glad you enjoyed the ballono and snack for your husband's birthday. Happy belated birthday to him!

Thank you so much. I hope you have a great rest of summer and come visit again. Glad you enjoyed the sunrises and sunsets so much!

Powell, Ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I traveled to Traverse City with friends and our teen kids. Traverse City is a great place for that kind of trip. The kids loved jet boating, wave runners, water trampoline, shops and restaurants. I have been blessed with many awesome vacations. Maybe, I had my expectations too high. We checked in for 3 nights, our room was an Elk Rapids studio and a very average room, very dated but clean. We found a bug, that closely resembled a bed bug. It was later confirmed, it was NOT, but it was after we requested a room move. A kind, but very nervous desk person, explained to me they couldn't move us at first because nothing was available, then it was nothing in my price range, then I was to be moved for one night. I said fine, this is all after they had to phone the manager. The clerk asked me if I wanted to speak with him, she was clearly out of her comfort zone. The suite we moved to was nice, but had a sofa bed that was horrible. The next day, we ventured out to rent jet skis, and a jet boat. Ryan with the rentals on Cherry's beach was great. After committing to this expensive rental, we asked about the next room, and told we had to bring our items down to the office and then take back up later to our next room. We could not make a direct move due to cleaning schedules. I did share it would be better customer service if they inconvenienced their staff, not the guest. We discussed this for 25 minutes while our watersport rental time was ticking way. An assistant manager, was borderline rude with this issue, and later redeemed herself during the stay. Every single time I needed to be at the front desk I either waited or nobody was there. I waited 15 minutes for a plastic spoon, with two sweet ladies waited to ask if they had vacancy. The gentleman behind the desk was smiling as he spoke on the phone. He did hand me a spoon, and then took a second call before assisting these ladies waiting! Some very basic customer service training is needed and possibly more staff! They have pools, but really tiny and the outdoor has a beautiful view of the parking lot. Maybe some landscaping might help. They close really early, so kind of worthless. The breakfast, eh at best. The assistant manager did comp us one night or our stay, and treated to ice cream, but this chaos took up a lot of time and aggravation on this 3 night only trip! I feel like this is sort of a small hotel with unmatched big prices (over $700 for 3 nights) on a piece of heaven. We all loved Traverse City, will definitely return but unfortunately won't be staying at Cherry Tree again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Good evening!

Thank you for your stay and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I truly apologize for the troubles you faced during your stay. I'm sorry that you found a bug in the room. The Front Desk associate was out of her comfort zone because you had indicated very strongly that it was a bed bug and made strong demands without her being able to evaluate and help. After she saw it and then sent me a picture of it, we both clearly saw that it didn't resemble one at all. I won't lie and say that we've never seen or encountered bed bugs. We are trained multiple times a year by our pest control company and we also have bed-bug sniffing dogs that come through our property twice a year, so we knew very quickly, without a doubt, that the bug wasn't what you were so concerned over. That said, though, I'm sorry that the bug was in your room. While we do treat our hotel on a regular basis for a variety of bugs as a preventative measure, we are still like a house, and bugs can get in from time to time. I did talk to you by phone and we did get you moved to another room that night and then agreed that we would get you in another room for the remaining two nights. I didn't explain our room move policies to you for the next day and I didn't inform my staff well regarding the situation, so the communication issues that you encountered with my assistant GM were my fault. I am so sorry for that inconvenience. And by no means was the room move a way of inconveniencing our staff. It's a way to not inconveniencing guests who already have rooms reserved or are already in a room that you are moving to. Regardless of all the details, it was entirely my fault not to properly communicate with my team and help you better. For that I am sorry and that's why we gave you a complimentary stay.

I'm sorry you felt our pools were small. We're a 76 room hotel with two pools totaling over 50,000 gallons of water. They are plenty large for the amount of guests we have. The indoor pool is open from 8 AM to 10:30 PM and the outdoor pool is open 10 AM to 10 PM. We would open them longer if they weren't directly next to guest rooms. If we didn't have to worry about noise affecting those guest rooms, we would have our pools open 24 hours. I'm sorry that you didn't care for our hours of the pools. And the outdoor pool has landscaping around the entire fence area with tall grasses around the area near the parking lot and then a huge floral bed with red petunias on the bayside overlooking the bay. I'm sorry you didn't care for that view. Some of the plants are a bit young since we opened the pool just last summer. We are the only select-service hotel in Traverse City both indoor and outdoor pools.

I'm sorry for the lack of staff at the desk. We have see unprecedented demand for our area, and we are hiring additional staff (we actually just hired four additional team members). I am sorry that I didn't anticipate this demand better. We have about 10 more team members than we had just last year. It's truly incredible. We face about 40 to 50 more calls per day than we did a year ago. These aren't excuses - I am simply sharing to show how much it's changed in just one year. I'm so sorry I didn't anticipate it better, but we are making changes quick to do better for our guests.

Finally, I'm sorry you felt our rooms were dated. We offer many updated features like HD TV's with HD channel programming including a full line-up of HD HBO channels, Starbucks coffee, Playstation 2's, microwaves and new refrigerators, pillow-top beds, new bedding, new artwork, new drapes, and new iHome iPad/iPod/iPhone docking stations. We are planning more and more updates in the future, and I will keep your concerns about the look of our rooms in mind.

Thank you again for your stay and your review. I apologize for the troubles that I caused you with my lack of communication and anticipation. I will do better for the future - I promise.

Schoolcraft, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Cherry Tree last month. We were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. Our room was lovely and the view of the Grand Traverse Bay from our 4th floor balcony was breathtaking. The staff was kind and courteous and we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We definitely will stay there again...we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money to get one of the suites!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cjmcmillan
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Hello!

Thank you for your stay and congratulations on your 10th anniversary. How awesome!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that you want to return when you visit Traverse City again.

Here's to you and your spouse - we wish you another 10, 20, 30, and more years of marital bliss! Thank you so much!

Indiana
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband, son and myself stayed at this hotel the week of 7.8 for 4 nights. We were on the 4th floor and the views from the balcony were awesome. I would recommend paying the extra per night to have this view; otherwise you are overlooking the roof and/or indoor pool. As far as the room, it was clean. Typical room - 2 queen beds, bathroom, small fridge, microwave - served it's purpose. The only have 1 elevate, which meant that you may have to wait for the elevator if it is a busy time. Also the ice machine was not on our floor. I did see it on the 1st floor; so I don't know if that was the only one for the place, I didn't ask. Breakfast was typical of what breakfast is when the hotel offers you breakfast in the morning. Nothing great but also nothing bad. The one complaint I would have is that the AC in the room blows right on the beds. It goes from somewhat stuffy when sleeping to cold when the AC turns on and starts. I felt bad for my son since he had the bed closest to the unit. The 2nd night I ended up putting the wicker chairs they had in the room in front of the AC unit and it seems to deflect the air upward and we didn't have that problem the rest of the time. I did mention this to the front desk when departing and she apologized and said there is no way to adjust the flow from the AC. Otherwise, I would say this hotel was nice and the best thing about it was the views. Breathtaking.....Loved waking up and going to bed to this.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and choose a room with a view.
Hello!

Thank you for your review and your recent stay. The pictures you shared are wonderful as well. You can share them on our Facebook page and be entered into our Pictures for Pinterest picture contest. This is a contest for a free room night at the Cherry Tree that's given each quarter. All you have to do is post a picture of the Traverse City area or Cherry Tree on our Facebook page. We then put it on our Visitor's Views Board on our Pinterest page. One person is selected randomly each quarter.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We do offer four ice machines through our entire property. Unfortunately, they aren't on each floor, but they are convenient through the entire property and our Front Desk staff is always available to help direct the closest one to a guest's room.

I do apologize that the AC unit blew on the nearest bed to it. I will look to see if there are any air deflectors we can purchase and install to improve that in our Elk Rapids Studios.

Thank you again for your stay and your review. Have a wonderful day and please do come visit again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed at The Cherry Tree Inn once before and had a fabulous time. In June, I traveled with 2 other gals for the Wine Festival. I insisted on staying at The Cherry Tree Inn. Thank you, Cherry Tree! You did me proud! Outstanding in service, beyond compare, cleanliness, view and comfort. And, the complimentary breakfast was great. Our driver, on the Cherry Tree shuttle bus offered touring tips as he pointed out places of interest. The front desk phoned ahead to our next destination to make sure that all our needs would be met. Unbelievable! I am looking forward to my next trip up the west coast of Michigan and will make Traverse City and The Cherry Tree Inn the highlight of the trip!

Room Tip: Bay view, corner units are great!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappyCamper1728
Good evening!

Thank you for your recent stay. I'm really happy you enjoyed the wine festival. I was one of the drivers of the shuttle that day, and I love all the guests I got to shuttle. The wine festival looked especially fun!

I'm glad you really enjoyed our service - that's the way hotels and all hospitality should be. We will continue on that track and work to do better!

Have a great day and we'll be happy to welcome you and the gals back again.