“Terrific place”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our family reunion was held at the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites. The location was awesome, and the rooms were nice and clean. The staff was extremely nice and helpful with directions. Most of the rooms were overlooking the beach area. The scenery was breath taking, quiet and relaxing. All of our family were impressed. My husband and I definitely plan to visit again next year, maybe for an anniversary, birthday, or just because. In fact some of our family booked rooms for next year before they left. If anyone is looking for a really nice hotel this is it. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't choose a 1st floor room unless you don't mind people going to the beach passing by ear...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Good afternoon!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. Your review put a lot of smiles on the Cherry Tree Family's faces.

We'll be happy to help you celebrate your next big occasion. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Cherry Tree Inn & Suites

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Check in was weird. we arrived prior to 3pm check in and room wasn't ready. Totally understandable. We left and came back at 3pm. They said room wasn't ready - another 15-20 minutes, so we waited. 20 minutes later, I went up to the desk again and they said another 15-20 minutes. I said we were just told 15-20 minutes 20 minutes ago, and she smiled and said, yes, it will be another 15-20 minutes. no apology. weird. I asked, so isn't check in at 3? They said it's "guaranteed after 3pm". I'm not really sure what that means. So really they are okay to check you in anytime as long as it's AFTER 3pm??? That seems like ordering a pizza and they tell you they guarantee it will be to your door in "at least 30 minutes". But they did come out as we waited to tell us we didn't have the best rate and they would reduce it to a lower rate. Okay, I'm suddenly fine with the wait.

Staff - Consistently friendly and helpful.

Room - HUGE! So terrific to have that much space on vacation. I think I've had smaller apartments. Though large, it was awkwardly laid out. The bathroom was enormous and yet no privacy to the toilet. The entry was long and narrow like a bowling alley. Definitely needs updating in terms of décor, though better than the pictures. Bedroom bed was super comfy. pull out couch not so much. Jacuzzi and fireplace were great amenities in room.

View/beach/water - view was really beautiful. Balcony was nice. Beach wasn't the sugar soft sand of the downtown area. And the water wasn't as pretty. Though the sand bar was fun to walk out on .

Other amenities - Coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby all day was such a treat. The workout room was really small - 2 pieces of cardio equipment and weights, but I was always able to get on a piece of equipment in the morning. Breakfast was crowded and awkward, but edible and a variety better than most continental breakfasts at hotels. The onsite laundry was very helpful. The hotel is one of the farthest from town (4+miles), so the shuttle service was very nice. They were very gracious about its use.

Overall it was a very nice stay.

Room Tip: we had a 4th floor suite and it had a very nice view
2  Thank Pdf737

Hello!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to notice and enjoy many of our amenities like the workout room (I hope you liked our new Matrix equipment. We are expanding the exercise room this fall), the breakfast, and our shuttle service.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the suite - it is quite large. We are planning on some great updates of the decor to those suites coming this fall/winter, so be sure to check back to our website and our Facebook page for updates on that. I think everyone will really like them

Thank you again for your kind review and your stay. I hope you have a nice rest of August and come visit again soon - always something going on in Traverse City!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was one of the best maintained hotels we've been in. The hotel was in great shape and very clean. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Their website also mentions their concrete construction of the rooms, and you can tell... exceptionally quiet. The only downside was the beach... It has a very small area for access to the water. Otherwise, Cherry Tree was excellent!

1  Thank Doug C
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Good day!

Thank you for your review and your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel so much and especially our friendly and helpful staff and quiet rooms.

I am sorry you felt our beach was small. We have 400 feet of waterfront access. The top is 400 feet wide and 50 feet long. Then the bottom section is split into two 200-foot sections. One section is protected by federal and state restrictions and must be natural grasses. However, we groom and maintain the other 200 feet to be nice packed but fluffy sand. We put our many high-quality beach lounge chairs and cabanas out for our guests to enjoy and we even have room for 2 fire pits. We have even more room for guests to enjoy a game of beach volleyball if they desire. We are continually maintaining and working inside the law to use the most of our water frontage as possible. I'm sorry that our area wasn't satisfactory to you.

Thank you again for your stay and have a wonderful rest of the summer. I hope you come visit again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I've never written a review before but thought I should start seeing I depend on other reviews when making travel arrangements. I really wanted to like this hotel but like the review title, it was just ok. With how much we paid a night, I really expected more. The decor was dated despite what I heard about the hotel having recently undergone a renovation. Our room was on the first floor and was a walk out, which with a toddler was very nice. However, we were also next to the hotel's main beach entrance so would hear the door slam and people talking at all hours. The beach sand was very rocky and not the nice sand I am used to on the eastern shores of Lake MI. Although we had limited need to talk with front desk staff, our few interactions were of a positive nature. We really appreciated being allowed to check in an hour early in order for our toddler to have a much needed afternoon nap! So with that said, we still had a good time in Traverse City (how could you not in such a beautiful location), but for our next TC trip, we'll be looking at other lodging options!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kanannvan

Good afternoon!

Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you are doing one for the first time. I'm sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations and I'm sorry you felt our decor was dated. We did update the paint and wallpaper in our rooms and hallways. We also did new drapes, bedding, carpeting, beds, artwork, technology (HD TV's with HD channel programming, iPod/iPhone/iPad docking stations), coffee (Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas) in all of our rooms. I'm sorry that you felt the look looked dated. As we continue to do more and more improvements (more starting this winter), we'll keep your comments in mind.

I'm sorry you felt our beach sand was rocky. It is traditional Lake Michigan sand - in fact, we just had the entire beach sifted of large rocks, waste, and weeds that can be there from spring. This is the first time I have ever heard that our beach was rocky, so I will look into that promptly and make sure that there is nothing that I am missing regarding our beach.

I'm happy you found our service to be great and that you had a good time in Traverse City. I hope you do try us again in the future, and I feel you won't find the same amenities at any other hotel in the area.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Very nice view of the bay. The beach and water were very clean. It was nice to sit on the balcony and watch the sunset every night. The room was a nice size, but a little dated for my taste. The breakfast and fruit flavored water in the lobby were a nice touch. We had a slight issue with our stay in which the general manager promptly took care of.

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the size of the room. Are continually doing updates of our entire hotel with more scheduled this winter. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the flavored water we offer. I do apologize for the slight issue, but I'm happy I was able to resolve it for you.

Thank you again. Have a wonderful day and come visit again.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was our third stay at Cherry Tree. The last one being over 2 years ago - and while there wasn't much wrong with the hotel then, they've been updating and making improvements like mad. The staff are attentive and since we were arriving on my husbands birthday, I asked if they could put something in the room. A lovely little balloon and snack pack greeted us and made his day. The beach, as always, is perfect for just relaxing and it's so close to the big water, if you want that experience, it's just a drive away. Couldn't recommend more.

Room Tip: Pay for the view. It's worth it. Excellent sunrises and sunsets.

Good day!

Thank you so much for your stay and for your kind review. I'm so happy that you have returned and noticed all of the updates that we have been making. I'm glad you enjoyed the ballono and snack for your husband's birthday. Happy belated birthday to him!

Thank you so much. I hope you have a great rest of summer and come visit again. Glad you enjoyed the sunrises and sunsets so much!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I traveled to Traverse City with friends and our teen kids. Traverse City is a great place for that kind of trip. The kids loved jet boating, wave runners, water trampoline, shops and restaurants. I have been blessed with many awesome vacations. Maybe, I had my expectations too high. We checked in for 3 nights, our room was an Elk Rapids studio and a very average room, very dated but clean. We found a bug, that closely resembled a bed bug. It was later confirmed, it was NOT, but it was after we requested a room move. A kind, but very nervous desk person, explained to me they couldn't move us at first because nothing was available, then it was nothing in my price range, then I was to be moved for one night. I said fine, this is all after they had to phone the manager. The clerk asked me if I wanted to speak with him, she was clearly out of her comfort zone. The suite we moved to was nice, but had a sofa bed that was horrible. The next day, we ventured out to rent jet skis, and a jet boat. Ryan with the rentals on Cherry's beach was great. After committing to this expensive rental, we asked about the next room, and told we had to bring our items down to the office and then take back up later to our next room. We could not make a direct move due to cleaning schedules. I did share it would be better customer service if they inconvenienced their staff, not the guest. We discussed this for 25 minutes while our watersport rental time was ticking way. An assistant manager, was borderline rude with this issue, and later redeemed herself during the stay. Every single time I needed to be at the front desk I either waited or nobody was there. I waited 15 minutes for a plastic spoon, with two sweet ladies waited to ask if they had vacancy. The gentleman behind the desk was smiling as he spoke on the phone. He did hand me a spoon, and then took a second call before assisting these ladies waiting! Some very basic customer service training is needed and possibly more staff! They have pools, but really tiny and the outdoor has a beautiful view of the parking lot. Maybe some landscaping might help. They close really early, so kind of worthless. The breakfast, eh at best. The assistant manager did comp us one night or our stay, and treated to ice cream, but this chaos took up a lot of time and aggravation on this 3 night only trip! I feel like this is sort of a small hotel with unmatched big prices (over $700 for 3 nights) on a piece of heaven. We all loved Traverse City, will definitely return but unfortunately won't be staying at Cherry Tree again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Good evening!

Thank you for your stay and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I truly apologize for the troubles you faced during your stay. I'm sorry that you found a bug in the room. The Front Desk associate was out of her comfort zone because you had indicated very strongly that it was a bed bug and made strong demands without her being able to evaluate and help. After she saw it and then sent me a picture of it, we both clearly saw that it didn't resemble one at all. I won't lie and say that we've never seen or encountered bed bugs. We are trained multiple times a year by our pest control company and we also have bed-bug sniffing dogs that come through our property twice a year, so we knew very quickly, without a doubt, that the bug wasn't what you were so concerned over. That said, though, I'm sorry that the bug was in your room. While we do treat our hotel on a regular basis for a variety of bugs as a preventative measure, we are still like a house, and bugs can get in from time to time. I did talk to you by phone and we did get you moved to another room that night and then agreed that we would get you in another room for the remaining two nights. I didn't explain our room move policies to you for the next day and I didn't inform my staff well regarding the situation, so the communication issues that you encountered with my assistant GM were my fault. I am so sorry for that inconvenience. And by no means was the room move a way of inconveniencing our staff. It's a way to not inconveniencing guests who already have rooms reserved or are already in a room that you are moving to. Regardless of all the details, it was entirely my fault not to properly communicate with my team and help you better. For that I am sorry and that's why we gave you a complimentary stay.

I'm sorry you felt our pools were small. We're a 76 room hotel with two pools totaling over 50,000 gallons of water. They are plenty large for the amount of guests we have. The indoor pool is open from 8 AM to 10:30 PM and the outdoor pool is open 10 AM to 10 PM. We would open them longer if they weren't directly next to guest rooms. If we didn't have to worry about noise affecting those guest rooms, we would have our pools open 24 hours. I'm sorry that you didn't care for our hours of the pools. And the outdoor pool has landscaping around the entire fence area with tall grasses around the area near the parking lot and then a huge floral bed with red petunias on the bayside overlooking the bay. I'm sorry you didn't care for that view. Some of the plants are a bit young since we opened the pool just last summer. We are the only select-service hotel in Traverse City both indoor and outdoor pools.

I'm sorry for the lack of staff at the desk. We have see unprecedented demand for our area, and we are hiring additional staff (we actually just hired four additional team members). I am sorry that I didn't anticipate this demand better. We have about 10 more team members than we had just last year. It's truly incredible. We face about 40 to 50 more calls per day than we did a year ago. These aren't excuses - I am simply sharing to show how much it's changed in just one year. I'm so sorry I didn't anticipate it better, but we are making changes quick to do better for our guests.

Finally, I'm sorry you felt our rooms were dated. We offer many updated features like HD TV's with HD channel programming including a full line-up of HD HBO channels, Starbucks coffee, Playstation 2's, microwaves and new refrigerators, pillow-top beds, new bedding, new artwork, new drapes, and new iHome iPad/iPod/iPhone docking stations. We are planning more and more updates in the future, and I will keep your concerns about the look of our rooms in mind.

Thank you again for your stay and your review. I apologize for the troubles that I caused you with my lack of communication and anticipation. I will do better for the future - I promise.