“Bay view room” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Bay view room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Bay view room with a Jacuzzi. Quality breakfast. Indoor and outdoor pool. Fresh cookies all day. The beach has grown over with wetlands which is not pictured in most of their advertisements. City mandated they allow for so much of their beach to be dedicated to wetlands. Substantial patch left with waterfront beach access but not as much as shown in picture. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Bay view room if you are there in a warm season.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Hello!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. Personally, I like short, concise reviews when I use tripadvisor, and I'm sure others will appreciate your review. Thank you for pointing out some of our main amenities. I'm sorry for any concern regarding our beach. We do clearly show the grassy area in our advertisements, including Tripadvisor. One an see the beach chairs on the left sand where our 200 feet of hard-packed sand is and to the right is the grassy area that is protected by state and federal laws. The top portion is 400 feet of nice Michigan sand.

I'm glad your found our staff friendly - we really enjoy our work. Have a wonderful rest of the summer and a great fall, too!

Jonathan Pack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We upgraded our initial reservations to the lake facing rooms. The rooms were fantastic, very clean, loved the complimentary Starbucks tea and coffee :) However, in the night we had hooligans check in next door. The door was slammed at wish and we could hear every conversation in our room at around midnight. Could not sleep well, even though the bed was so comfortable. I also had trouble with the room a/c. It was showing 70F which clearly was not, and had to set it to 60F just to get it started. (Weird?) Next day we had a fantastic all included breakfast which made up for the last nights disaster. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would have given it 4 stars had it not been for the thin walls.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Good evening!

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed everything, but I'm sorry for the noisy neighbors that disturbed your stay. I'm assuming it may have been because of an adjoining door between your room and the noisy neighbors. This is normally the only area we get noise complaints because of our 8-inch concrete walls, floors, and ceilings, so we get noted for being a quiet hotel. I am sorry for that. Please do come and visit again and simply note that you would like a room with no adjoining door. We work hard to handle all guest requests very well.

I do apologize again and I am happy that you enjoyed our breakfast so much.

Have a nice September. I hope we see you return.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My BFF and I stayed here on Mother's Day weekend for a girls weekend. it was a great stay. the room was clean except for hidden cig butts on the balcony. We reported it so we weren't charged with smoking in the room. The view was great. Staff was nice. hot tub was great. we didn't try the pool. the breakfast bar was packed but it was mother's day weekend. I brought my own cereal as I have food allergies. I only had coffee and milk from the bar. I shared a table with a cute older couple and had a lovely chat with them.

Green Features: I have read the eco friendly reasons to use Styrofoam plates and plasticware. there are biodegradable plasticware that I have seen at public places. I have not done the research on which is better, just a new product to be in the know.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Good evening!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and met a nice older couple to chat with as well. That's so nice to experience on a vacation. I am sorry for the cig. butts not taken care of on your balcony. I will follow-up with my housekeeping team to ensure they are doing a better job inspecting and cleaning our rooms.

Have a nice September!

Montague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

The view from the Elk Rapids suite was wonderful. It was quiet and seemed to be part of the natural landscape. The best thing about this stay was the extraordinary attention of the staff. The shuttle to the downtown restaurants and shopping was perfect. The bathroom fan was too loud. The "suite" designation was questionable. But overall, this is the best place I have stayed in TC in decades. Cambrian Suites is rated higher. I found that to be too much of a business center location. The Cherry Tree Inn gave us the sense of being part of the natural landscape. I loved that.

Room Tip: We had the corner room, Elk Rapids suite. The interior rooms did not seem to provide the same "...
Green Features: Definitely had all the appropriate options for linens and cleaning. Thanks for that.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Good day!

Thank you for your stay and I'm glad you found our staff to exceed your expectations. They will be very happy to read that.

I'm sorry for any confusion on the use of "suite." We don't use that describe our Elk Rapids Studios on our website or through our on-site reservations. We will look to external websites to make sure they have our rooms designated correctly. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Have a nice fall and come for some more R&R again soon!

Clinton Township, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We picked Cherry Tree after reading all the good reviews but was disappointed, especially with the high prices. We stayed in a one bedroom suite without a lake view because the lake view rooms were sold out by the time we booked.

Good - everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful. Housekeeping always came back to clean our room after their normal time to go around bc that's the time our daughter was napping. The rooms were very spacious.

Not so good - the rooms could use some serious updating. There was a super old tv and phone in the bathroom - who puts a tv or phone in the bathroom? Had drop ceilings and the room overall just looked worn down. The pools were pretty small and being right on the main road you heard a lot of traffic while at the pool. Not exactly relaxing. The beach was also extremely small. The water was REALLY shallow, maybe 3-4 inches deep for a long way out. This was great for our 10 month old but wouldn't be for older kids or adults. This is probably why the beach and pools always had open chairs. If you're staying here, plan on going to Clinch Park for the beach. The location is easy to find but a drive to anywhere you want to go - downtown/beach/local attractions.

Overall the hotel is okay but in perspective we stayed at an oceanfront room in Hawaii at a nicer hotel for less per night.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LaurenBeth8
Good evening!

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Cherry Tree. I do apologize that you were disappointed with your stay. While I'm happy that you enjoyed our service, cleanliness, and spacious rooms, I'm sorry that you found so many things that displeased you.

In regards to the TV's in the bathrooms, we do have simple 9" TV's in our bathrooms. They are HUGE for our repeat guests. In fact, we mentioned on our Facebook page about revamping our bathrooms (which we will start this coming winter) and the guests overwhelmingly told us not to get rid of the TV's in our bathrooms (we weren't planning on - in fact, we're going to update them by putting mirrors in the bathrooms with TV's in them). In regards to the pools, we are the only select-service hotel and only the third hotel in Traverse to offer indoor and outdoor pools and spas. While the pools may seem small to you, they are actually 24,000 gallons for our indoor pool and 28,000 gallons for our outdoor pool - both very nice sizes for our simple 76 room property.

In regards to our beach, we actually have 400 feet of private waterfront frontage. The top portion closest to our guest rooms is 400 feet wide and 70 long of northern Michigan sand with a children's playground and 2 beach fire pits. The lower portion is split into two sections - 200 feet of hard-packed sand with a great number of beach chairs a four beach cabanas and 200 feet of natural grass area that is protected by state and federal laws. We have lots of guests that do enjoy our beach area - it just depends on the day of the week and what's going on in the area. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, though, or the shallowness of the water.

In regards to our prices, we do focus on value and that's why you'll find our prices to be in line with the rest of the area's beachfront hotels but you'll get amenities you can't find at others. Amenities like HD TV programming, two pools, two spas, sauna, Starbucks coffee, freshly ground and roasted coffee in our lobby 24-hours a day, cookies at the desk every day, flavored water available for our guests every day, all rooms with kitchenettes, high-quality bath products, Matrix work-out equipment, Fiber WiFi access, complimentary shuttle service, and much more. Like all vacation areas, including Hawaii, rates will fluctuate. I'm sorry that that our high-season rates and our overall product just didn't work well for you and your family. I will use your comments to look at ways we can continue to improve so you can feel the value better when you stay with us in the future.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you've had a nice end of summer. Thank you so much.

Best

Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites for seven nights (August 9th - 16th, 2013). The hotel was wonderful - we stayed in a large suite on the fourth floor with a private balcony overlooking Grand Traverse Bay. The suite was well equipped (large screen HD TV, fridge, microwave, kitchenette, large bathroom, very comfortable bed). Every staff person we encountered was friendly, very helpful and very professional. The complimentary hot breakfast was delicious (especially the cherry topping for the waffles)!
We were amazed that, within three days of returning home, we received a hand-written note from two housekeeping staff thanking us for staying at the hotel and leaving a tip (for excellent housekeeping during our stay)! We have never in the past received a hand-written thank-you note from any hotel's staff - this was definitely a sign of great training and excellent management!
This is a wonderful hotel - we would recommend that anyone traveling to Traverse City check it out before staying anywhere else!
Thomas Dargan
Dearborn, MI

Room Tip: We stayed in a large suite on the fourth floor with a private balcony overlooking Grand Traverse Bay...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TVD939
Thank you for your visit to Traverse City and staying at the Cherry Tree, Mr. Dargan. I'm glad you found the Cherry Tree to be wonderful. I really liked that you mentioned the hand-written letters from our housekeeping team. We go by one of the old adages around here - mind your P's and Q's. It's so simple and it's essential to customer service and hospitality. It makes our jobs easier and more fun, too!

Thank you for your recommendation and we'll be happy to have you come back soon again.

Have a wonderful fall!

Strongsville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Very nice location being on a small stretch of beach. Many different room options, we had a party of 8 but were a little late in reservations so had to get 3 different rooms. Rooms are large, we had a corner room so had the extra set of windows with a balcony, one room was also large but the view was the indoor pool, and the last room was a one bedroom suite with jacuzzi tub and then a trundle bed in living room also had a nice balcony.

Staff was very friendly, let us use the breakfast room for our pizza delivery and card game. Also had their van take us to and pick us up from the casino. Only problem is they need a stepping stool as we had some older people that had a hard time getting in and out. They also let my daughters boyfriend play the piano that was in the lobby which we all enjoyed.

It was nice having a hot breakfast, but nothing really special, scrambled eggs that were flat squares, kind of strange but were ok. One day they only had sausage gravy and biscuits and people were a little upset especially kids. But they always had cereals, bagels, hard boiled eggs and such. It was nice to have coffee and tea all the time in the lobby.

They have fire pits we wanted to use but the weather didn't cooperate which was too bad. Used the indoor pool and hot tub. I just have a problem when there is a sign saying no one under the age of 14 and kids t the age of 6-8 are using it as a kiddie pool. I don't mind if they are in there with an adult sitting, but these kids, there were 4-5 of them doing handstands, splashing and the dads just sat on the side drinking their beer. We ended up getting out. I don't know if something like that could be monitored or not.

Overall a good trip and would probably stay here gain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Good evening!

Thank you for your review of your August. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response. Our hotel group has taken over the Charlevoix Inn & Suites in Charlevoix, Michigan, so I have running the Cherry Tree and getting the Charlevoix Inn up to our standards of our hotel group. Very exciting, but I'm sorry for my delay to you.

I'm happy that you enjoyed so much of your stay - the large rooms, our friendly staff, the complimentary shuttle service, and more. Thank you for your suggestion of a stool for our shuttle. I am working on plans to make it easier for guests who have difficulty with stepping into the van.

I do apologize that the other guests didn't control their children better and abide by our rules for our hot tubs. Since we keep our hot tubs at 103 degrees and there have been studies that show that high temperature isn't good for children under 14, we have put that restriction up. We do work to monitor it, but I'm sorry we didn't do it better for your stay. I will work with my staff to better monitor that.

Thank you again for your review and your stay. Please do come visit again and enjoy more of what Traverse City has to offer. Thank you!